October 26th, 2008

Palin and Hasselbeck blast 'ridiculous' wardrobe story

, ,
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) – Ensuring that news of the Republican National Committee's sartorial spending spree will remain in the headlines for at least one more news cycle, Sarah Palin on Sunday sounded off on the $150,000 wardrobe that was purchased for her in September, denouncing the report as "ridiculous" and declaring emphatically: "Those clothes, they are not my property."

A senior adviser to John McCain told CNN's Dana Bash that the comments about her wardrobe "were not the remarks we sent to her plane this morning." Palin did not discuss the wardrobe story at her rally in Kissimmee later in the day.

But in Tampa, Palin happily broached the clothing issue after being introduced by "The View" co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who accused Palin's opponents of being "fixated on her wardrobe" and "deliberately sexist."

That opened the door for Palin to weigh in on a topic that has frustrated the candidate and her advisers since the story first broke five days ago.

"This whole thing with the wardrobe, you know I have tried to just ignore it because it is so ridiculous, but I am glad now that Elisabeth brought it up, cause it gives me an opportunity without the filter of the media to get to tell you the whole clothes thing," she said.

"Those clothes, they are not my property. Just like the lighting and the staging and everything else that the RNC purchased, I'm not taking them with me. I am back to wearing my own clothes from my favorite consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska. You'd think - not that I would even have to address the issue because, as Elisabeth is suggesting, the double standard here it's - gosh, we don't even want to waste our time."

Palin, however, forged on.

"I am glad, though, that she brought up accessories also. Let me tell you a little bit about a couple of accessories, didn't think that we would be talking about it, but my earrings - I see a Native Americans for Palin poster," she said. "These are beaded earrings from Todd's mom who is a Yupik Eskimo up in Alaska, Native American, Native Alaskan.

"And my wedding ring, it's in Todd's pocket, 'cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished," she continued. "A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself and 'cause I always thought with my ring it's not what it's made of, it's what it represents, and 20 years later, happy to wear it. And then finally the other accessory, you bet I'm a gold - I'm a blue star mom. I'm wearing this in honor of my son who is fighting over in Iraq right now defending all of you."

After spending four minutes on the shopping escapade, Palin switched gears and trained her sights on Barack Obama, who, she said, is prematurely measuring the White House drapes.

"Barack Obama and I, we both have spent quite some time on the basketball court," she said. "But where I come from, you have to win the game before you start cutting down the nets."

Palin accused the Democrat of renting a stadium for a victory party on November 4.

That's actually not the case - Obama's rally on election night will be held outdoors in Grant Park in downtown Chicago.

"They've overlooked though the minor detail of earning your confidence and your trust and winning your votes," she said.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. kimb54

“And in the land shall rise the son of Cain” From the north The Deceiver a known Beast of false witness will take the mark of Cain.
    Together they seek to spread fear and invoke hate among the refugees of sin.
    In their quest for power they will ignore the light of truth shining on the deeds and words they proclaim.
    But take heart for throughout the land the seekers of light shall rise up and not be fooled. With their strength the mark will be cleansed from the earth and no longer hold power to sway the blind.

October 26, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. mac1940

George Bush killed the Republican Party and Sarah Palin is nailing its coffin. Happy Halloween everyone!!

October 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Annie

She thinks the story is ridiculous – yet she keeps it going for yet another day? I'm pleased that she's pretty confident she'll be back to her consignment clothes in Alaska – indicates that she knows she will not be VP elect in a couple of weeks time.

October 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Abe

Wow...150k on a cloth? Can you blame her to get something out off a losing campaign????

October 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. That One won

How many hockey moms out there get $150000 to buy clothes? Maybe joe the plumber's wife or joe six pack girlfriend...hypocrites

October 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Frank from Peterborough

What a moron. She is a disgrace to America to even think she should be in any political position requiring any amount of intelligence. She claims Katy Couric offended her with questions but a simple one like what do you read couldn't be answered.

The press are gutless they've kept the truth about Palin away from the people. The AIP, the pipe line scandal, the witch doctor in her crazy church etc. etc.

October 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Beth from Michigan

Than if the clothes are "just not me"...who is/was Sarah pretending to be with the clothes? I thought it was all about "cleaning" up Washington? If that is the case, than why doesn't Sarah just wear her consignment shop clothes? I would have ssoooooo much more respect for her if she was truly herself, rather than ?????

October 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

Oh no!!! Not another one. 2 DUMMIES on 1 stage. WHAT A DISASTER.

October 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. theogracias

Revenge of the bimbos. And this is the campaign for our highest office? Where is Paris Hilton?

October 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Georgia for Obama

Elizabeth need to be kick off the view she is awful that why I dont look at the view because of elizabeth she call Obama kool aid,,,,Elizabeth is a racist.........McCain/Palin will get anybody to rally with them why are they still bringing Joe the plumber up and he's not a plumber and owe taxes.

Vote early for Obama/Biden 08

October 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. glittergirl

If you think it is such a non-issue, then why constantly bring it up? And there is absolutely NOTHING that elizawitch could say that would ever make me feel anything but sorry for her kids having to grow up with such a narrow-minded ignorant bubble brained mother.

October 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Lee

I'm just wondering... since she was nominated for Vice President, has Palin said a single thing that is true?

Lee

October 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. lawrence

McCain/Palin. I'm not sure whether they are just confused, or suffereing from ADD. Either way, there is no way possible that I would want these people in the White House if this wardrobe craziness is indicative of the way they would lead the country.

Now I understand that they have returned 1/3 of the clothes, claiming they didn't fit. I can't wait to see what new nutiness crops up with McCampaign Monday, and Tuesday, and Wednesday...

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Candace

Really need to go back to Alaska. She's not a representative for all women. It will take me 3 years to make what was spent on our wardrobe. Buy for (4) years of college for one son, and have some left over to keep other son. Please go back to Alaska......

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Ann Mack

Of course they are her clothes, they just got caught so now they are lying to the public, as usual. Unfortunately, you cannot believe anything that comes out of Republicans' mouths. Most of the postive stuff in McCain's speeches, he has taken from Barack or Biden. That last line of his to fight on, stand up, he got from Biden whose father always told him Champ you gotta get up! It is too bad that people want to run a country who profess morals and ethics, yet have none. Christ said you will know them by their fruits, and their fruit is rotten to the core.

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. Marilyn Johnson

Palin need to forget it. She will never be a Vice-President for this Country. She probably would be elected to a hockey team. We are not going to take care of her children and grandchildren. Expecially the one with the down syndrome.

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. glittergirl

Is native american the same thing as an eskimo?

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Grace Needed

"because it is so ridiculous" Yes, you not even blinking when asked to be V.P. is also so ridiculous, as is Senator McCain asking you to be V.P. without proper vetting. It IS ridiculous that someone would vote for candidates who encourage others to ignore subpoenas. It is so ridiculous that anyone would ask you to be V.P. when you didn't even utilize and trust our system of government and the laws of our land to resolve a small, personal crisis, let alone the much bigger issues are country is facing. It is SO ridiculous that you were ever elected governor, since you hired high school friends with no qualification while firing ones that had them and let your husband, an unelected official, run the governor's office over 50% of the time. Why isn't it ridiculous that you call yourself a Christian and the repeatedly lie, distort facts and smear your opponents in the most reprehensible fashion and yet Christians still vote for you? The Bible says you will know a Christian by the fruit they bear. Your fruit Gov. Palin is rotten to the core and you will be held accountable either here or the hereafter.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

The reality of the matter is that mant of the GOP donor are hard working people and to see their money thrown into the trash on a wardrobe when many of them are receiving foreclosure notices PISSES alot of folks off and rightfully so.

Palin would be very stand-offish is put in any office. I hope the Alaskan people see her for who she really is now and send her packing when her term is up!!!

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Paula

I soooo intensely dislike Palin. She is the most deceitful and amoral politician I have ever seen! It pains me to see her in a position where an INTELLIGENT woman should be. Finally the Republicans nominate a woman and she happens to be the most stupid in the party! Very disappointed.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. Chuck

Hey! Eliza Doolittle, please speak the truth and stay focused on the political subject matter, namely, the issues that are important to the American electorate.

Stop attacking your opponents and start talking about the issues. Please expand your sentence structure instead of using just a noun, a verb and Obama.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

OH SHUT UP, LIARS

How's the re-call movement going in Alaska to get this airhead out of the public eye?

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. marcar

Right. And the Saks and Nieman Marcus clothes for her husband and kids – now that she's been busted, will they give those back too?

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. mitch

smart people will vote for barack. she's a moron.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Liz T, Tucson

Whether or not the clothes belong to her, anyone who watches "What Not to Wear" knows that a wardrobe can be replaced very well for a mere $5000. Profligate spending of donors' dollars when the campaign is short on money is the real issue.

And there was no explanation for how she ended up wearing a scarf that urged people to vote democratic in Reno last week. Too funny!!

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |