October 26th, 2008

Palin and Hasselbeck blast 'ridiculous' wardrobe story

, ,
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) – Ensuring that news of the Republican National Committee's sartorial spending spree will remain in the headlines for at least one more news cycle, Sarah Palin on Sunday sounded off on the $150,000 wardrobe that was purchased for her in September, denouncing the report as "ridiculous" and declaring emphatically: "Those clothes, they are not my property."

A senior adviser to John McCain told CNN's Dana Bash that the comments about her wardrobe "were not the remarks we sent to her plane this morning." Palin did not discuss the wardrobe story at her rally in Kissimmee later in the day.

But in Tampa, Palin happily broached the clothing issue after being introduced by "The View" co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who accused Palin's opponents of being "fixated on her wardrobe" and "deliberately sexist."

That opened the door for Palin to weigh in on a topic that has frustrated the candidate and her advisers since the story first broke five days ago.

"This whole thing with the wardrobe, you know I have tried to just ignore it because it is so ridiculous, but I am glad now that Elisabeth brought it up, cause it gives me an opportunity without the filter of the media to get to tell you the whole clothes thing," she said.

"Those clothes, they are not my property. Just like the lighting and the staging and everything else that the RNC purchased, I'm not taking them with me. I am back to wearing my own clothes from my favorite consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska. You'd think - not that I would even have to address the issue because, as Elisabeth is suggesting, the double standard here it's - gosh, we don't even want to waste our time."

Palin, however, forged on.

"I am glad, though, that she brought up accessories also. Let me tell you a little bit about a couple of accessories, didn't think that we would be talking about it, but my earrings - I see a Native Americans for Palin poster," she said. "These are beaded earrings from Todd's mom who is a Yupik Eskimo up in Alaska, Native American, Native Alaskan.

"And my wedding ring, it's in Todd's pocket, 'cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished," she continued. "A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself and 'cause I always thought with my ring it's not what it's made of, it's what it represents, and 20 years later, happy to wear it. And then finally the other accessory, you bet I'm a gold - I'm a blue star mom. I'm wearing this in honor of my son who is fighting over in Iraq right now defending all of you."

After spending four minutes on the shopping escapade, Palin switched gears and trained her sights on Barack Obama, who, she said, is prematurely measuring the White House drapes.

"Barack Obama and I, we both have spent quite some time on the basketball court," she said. "But where I come from, you have to win the game before you start cutting down the nets."

Palin accused the Democrat of renting a stadium for a victory party on November 4.

That's actually not the case - Obama's rally on election night will be held outdoors in Grant Park in downtown Chicago.

"They've overlooked though the minor detail of earning your confidence and your trust and winning your votes," she said.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. X-Republican in Texas for Obama

I bet if it was Senator Obama or he's wife spending $150,000 for a wardrobe McCain/Palin would be all over it. In a way Palin got a bargain. Just look at Cindy McCain just one of her outfits and accessories cost twice as much.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. California Democrat

Thanks for keeping in the news you airheads!

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Leah DiMarco, Texas

America beware!
    McCain and Palin have been telling many falsehoods within the past 48 hours.

1) McCain said that Obama has started writing his inaugural speech – Obama HAS NOT.

2) Palin said Obama has rented a stadium – Obama HAS NOT.

3) McCain and Palin say that Obama will raise taxes – Obama WILL NOT.

The list goes on and on. McCain and Palin DO NOT tell the truth when they talk.

Vote Obama-Biden!!!
    and send McCain back to Arizona and Palin back to Alaska!

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Mike D.

No, its $150,000 in clothes, and another $25K a WEEK on makeup.

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Cindy

Normally, I could care less that Sarah Palin or anyone else for that matter spent $150,000 on their wardrobe. It is pathetic in this financial crisis. However, in Ms. Palin's situation, she has been hopping all over the USA tooting her own horn that she represents the hard working Walmart shopping "real" America.
    Her so called "real" America has never seen the likes of Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus and if they have, they certainly did not buy a new suit.
    Once again, she created her own fiasco and then blames the media because it did not go her way. This woman can't run anything. Please see the light people!

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Jim in Dover

I guess she doesn't get it. It's not that the money was spent on the clothes. If it were Cindy McCain, no big deal. However, she's presenting herself as Joe Six Pack and the Joe Six Pack's I know don't shop at Neiman Marcus. They're lucky if they can afford Macy's

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

TOTAL BS AND LIES from Barbie Palin

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Melissa

You know what? I have to say "wah". I'm so sick of the delusion that Palin lives under that words don't exist to describe it.

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. TXdiehardObama

She makes my flesh crawl. And then she just flat out lied. Did anyone else catch that? She said he rented a statdium, and that was not true. Let us send here back to Alaska with her ring and earrings, and all the rest of her poppycosh

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. Raizin

I'd like to see the price tag on the cloths Michelle Obama is wearing. Also.... how about those $1000 suits Barack is wearing. I don't even understand why this is news. LIBERAL MEDIA.

October 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Jeff

Neither of them have any idea how 'stupid' they are. For Palin's part, that IS dangerous.

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. LOL

And the $22,000 paid to her stylist for two weeks of work? Does the party get the makeup and hairspray back?

I love how she thinks it's ridiculous to talk about clothes... and then proceeds to talk about clothes. This woman is beyond belief. Anyone who thinks she was a "substitute" for Hillary is out of their mind. Stop the lies, stop the smears and talk about the ISSUES. I don't care whether Obama has a speech written or is planning to have a party... I want to know what McCain and Palin plan to do to FIX THIS COUNTRY.

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Steve

Obama and Democrats want our 401K accounts, what’s NEXT

link on 401K-----http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital-commerce/2008/10/23/would-obama-dems-kill-401k-plans.html

Also want to bring back the fairness doctrine

Google fairness doctrine and nm senator

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. Muz

Not her property? Does she plan on returning them after she loses the election?

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. informed voter

Yeah Sarah...We believe you never meant to keep those clothes just like we believe that you opposed the "bridge to nowhere" or just like we believe you had nothing to do with "troopergate" or how bout just like we believe Katie Couric was a "meanie" to ask you about your foreign policy experience. We also believe that you have hidden genious in you waiting to get out. If only the media filter allowed your genious to shine through. HAHAHAHA

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  16. Juan Grain

So it was a fantasy or did you go and buy the stuff???

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. Melissa

I'd love to know why they can't seem to understand that the problem is NOT with the clothing, its with the fact that they keep moaning about earmarks, then went and spent a bunch of money on small stuff that means nothing.

The Reps aren't living up to their own claims.

October 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. This is Crazy

This is just getting pitiful! She knows she loved the 150K shoping spree. She is the only hockey mom in the world strutting around in Valentino and Manolo Blahnik's! Is this the VP or a cast member of Sex in the City!

October 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. James

Palin is so full of S$%+ that is is not even a joke anymore. This creature is getting so full of herself that she believes every lie that leaves her mouth. May the Lord have mercy on us if we elect any ticket with her on it.

October 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Ms. M

Vote!! Forget about all of the 'talk' that gets us away from issues that will affect our lives. Vote, vote early. Do you really want Gov. Palin to become your president if something was ot happen to Sen. McCain? I know that I do NOT.

October 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. please vote dont stay home

oh ok, so the two bimbow heads are now talking about clothes

mmm they are both brainless

she can not use the words sexist or feminists
    she has no clue what they are

these two brainless women want the rest of us to go back to 1910

are yu kidding me,,,,,,,,,,,, they are a joke
    here come mcbush circus to town

October 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Dan

This woman is the biggest joke I've seen around politics in decades. The fact that she could become President of the United States is downright terrifying.

October 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Smarter than the GOP

I really hope they lose and she goes into a hole and we never see her again.

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Linda

When isn't Sarah Palin annoyed

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Adrienne

Palin was not on top of things. She let them dress her like a doll and in the end it hurt her image. Palin needs to watch out for herself now.
    Mccain stinks like a loser. She needs to pull away before the smell stains Palin too deeply. She needs to start thinking of Mccain as a skunk. She needs to not be seen with him anymore.

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |