October 26th, 2008

Palin and Hasselbeck blast 'ridiculous' wardrobe story

, ,
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.
Palin blasted the media for focusing on the $150,000 wardrobe story.

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) – Ensuring that news of the Republican National Committee's sartorial spending spree will remain in the headlines for at least one more news cycle, Sarah Palin on Sunday sounded off on the $150,000 wardrobe that was purchased for her in September, denouncing the report as "ridiculous" and declaring emphatically: "Those clothes, they are not my property."

A senior adviser to John McCain told CNN's Dana Bash that the comments about her wardrobe "were not the remarks we sent to her plane this morning." Palin did not discuss the wardrobe story at her rally in Kissimmee later in the day.

But in Tampa, Palin happily broached the clothing issue after being introduced by "The View" co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who accused Palin's opponents of being "fixated on her wardrobe" and "deliberately sexist."

That opened the door for Palin to weigh in on a topic that has frustrated the candidate and her advisers since the story first broke five days ago.

"This whole thing with the wardrobe, you know I have tried to just ignore it because it is so ridiculous, but I am glad now that Elisabeth brought it up, cause it gives me an opportunity without the filter of the media to get to tell you the whole clothes thing," she said.

"Those clothes, they are not my property. Just like the lighting and the staging and everything else that the RNC purchased, I'm not taking them with me. I am back to wearing my own clothes from my favorite consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska. You'd think - not that I would even have to address the issue because, as Elisabeth is suggesting, the double standard here it's - gosh, we don't even want to waste our time."

Palin, however, forged on.

"I am glad, though, that she brought up accessories also. Let me tell you a little bit about a couple of accessories, didn't think that we would be talking about it, but my earrings - I see a Native Americans for Palin poster," she said. "These are beaded earrings from Todd's mom who is a Yupik Eskimo up in Alaska, Native American, Native Alaskan.

"And my wedding ring, it's in Todd's pocket, 'cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished," she continued. "A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself and 'cause I always thought with my ring it's not what it's made of, it's what it represents, and 20 years later, happy to wear it. And then finally the other accessory, you bet I'm a gold - I'm a blue star mom. I'm wearing this in honor of my son who is fighting over in Iraq right now defending all of you."

After spending four minutes on the shopping escapade, Palin switched gears and trained her sights on Barack Obama, who, she said, is prematurely measuring the White House drapes.

"Barack Obama and I, we both have spent quite some time on the basketball court," she said. "But where I come from, you have to win the game before you start cutting down the nets."

Palin accused the Democrat of renting a stadium for a victory party on November 4.

That's actually not the case - Obama's rally on election night will be held outdoors in Grant Park in downtown Chicago.

"They've overlooked though the minor detail of earning your confidence and your trust and winning your votes," she said.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Keith Middleton, NH

If we are going to get into a debate about clothing, accessories and other "material things", then lets find out if Obama and his wife actually purchased their SUV's? I dont care if they are hybrids or not, but did he actually use his own money for them? What about his expensive tailored suits? Did he buy them? Come'on media wizards! Lets focus on issues that really matter, like how this country will "change" for the worst if Obama is elected! One of these days, all of you libs out there will regret voting this man in when you see you own finances go belly up! Use commen sense! Dont vote for a guy who will ruin this country! Yoou are all smarter than that, I hope!

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Chere Romano

Good Lord! tHIS WOMAN IS A NUT JOB!

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. witch

It was your own party that put out the release of your clothes. By the way you bought stuff for the kids and the dude. So is your own party lying?

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Liz

PLEASE! Can this woman talk about anything relevant? What about the economy...oh wait she knows nothing about it so she spends the whole time talking about sexism and clothes. Can't wait till this is over and I don't have to hear from this woman ever again!

October 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Dan, TX

$150,000 on clothes? When did that happen? Is this a joke?

Meanwhile, the US launches an attack in Syria. Probably they had actionable intelligence and Syria was unable or unwilling to act, so we did. Thank goodness the Obama doctrine is now US policy. Is Obama advising the Bush administration on national security. I hear that it is true.

October 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. We're not "your friends"!!!

Come on bimbos, can't you idiots see what it looks like from our point of view. The Republican accounting to the Federal Election Commission states that you went on a spending spree of clothes and make-up for $150,000!!! The AVERAGE family income is around $50,000/yr. Think about it. Think about it.

Obama/Biden '08

7. Steve

Ask Hillary how she gets her clothes, donated at $6,500 per outfitt. Whixh is illegal as HELL. At least the RNC bought them legally

8. Brownstone Alice

Bimbo and Barbie .... omg, like, are they serious?

9. Ick

Ewww.......immature, arrogant, holier-than-thou Elizabeth along with self-proclaimed God's little sister Sarah. When will this vaudeville act be over?

Even if the clothes aren't yours, it's hard for us every day folk who are struggling paycheck to paycheck to stomach the amount spent on you to look good, especially the $12,000 on make-up alone in one month!!

Clothes don't make the VP. As soon as you and your twit of a sidekick open your mouths, you both show how ignorant and unprofessional you are. No matter what the party affiliation, these two are a total disgrace to this election.

10. ChangeBeliever

What is ridiculous is that they chose to shop for her at these high end stores - what they couldn't send a personal shopper to some outlet stores where most of America shops.

Second, why as govenor didn't she have some better wardrobe choices in the first place.

Third, she's only crying this because she was caught in the cookie jar. Just as she was with flying her kids all over at Alaska's expense.

11. faithd

My goodness, she is wrong again...Obama's victory party is at an outdoor park. Regardless if the clothes were brought by the RNC, she still opted to wear them. I'm sure she noticed the price tag or recognized the designer name before putting them on. Now that's what I call a double standard and ridiculous. Especially from someone who claims there are common day people.

12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

"like the staging and lighting"..... WHAT A LIE... I'll bet if anyone went back over bews footage they'll find this lying fool has word the "convention" outfits again.... and even if it were true then why make a big deal about the columns for Obama's set? They make more sense that dressing up this lying pig and smearing on lipstick.

LIES LIES LIES

13. Cheka

Ah. Now I respect her that much more, after leaving such a coherent, logical, intellectually-tinged explanation! The public's ire regarding this over-expenditure is not only directed at her, but her managers. It is the Republican machine that takes this pedestrian minor politician and tries to make her into the belle of the ball.

14. Y

Will someone please get these dumb diva's off the political stage?

15. voter

As a woman, I am tired of people using the sexim card for asking legitmate questions. The RNC broke the FEC rule in buying clothes for Palin. You cannot use campagin money for personal usesuch as buying clothes.

16. adam

ouch, but those clothes are you...in fact so much so that they represent everything gop stands for, elitism and base emotional control of dangerous mob mentality.

its always true that to control the world you must control the mob. good job on that follower of Ceasar.

17. dustin

still doesn't address the fact that the highest paid staffer was her stylist, maybe if they spent more money on an economic adviser they wouldn't be 10 points down.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. Jan in CA

I agree this is an outrageous amount to spend on clothes. That is the issues of who is elitist. Of course the important issues is that the campaign paid for her clothes at tax payers expense. The RNC gets most of its money from tax payers (donars) so that makes this expense even more of an issue.

That said, it is always over board the attention that is paid to women and their clothes. no one is paying attention to men's particularly. Most compaigns pay for their own clothes.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. the snarly old hawk squawks in fellowship square

Wow kimb54,that's a whole lot deeper than you can expect Sarah to
    understand.Maybe if you just mentioned her shoes or how much she paid for the red leather jacket from the Thriller video,then"you betcha",
    she would have got it.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Melba

Whatever. They get on my nerves with this crap. They want to call Sarah Palin "Hot" one moment then scream out "Sexist!!" the next.

Pick one losers.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. redhead from Toronto

So – Who's whineing now? Sarah, read my lips, "I'ts OVER". GO OBAMA, GO BIDEN, VOTE EARLY, make sure your vote is counted, can't trust those Reps not to steal this election, they will if you let them.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. Karl Rove

The exorbitant clothes budget is an issue because of the hypocrisy from the party that attacked Edwards for his $400 haircut. So, Sarah's clothes, including the expensive accessories for her kids, along with McCain's $700 shoes should be an issue. Until Republican's learn such things are not issues, they need to have their double standard shoved in their face whenever possible.

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. adidas junkie

looks like Palin is the Douche and McCain is the turd. i wonder how many votes McCain lost 3 weeks after picking Palin for vice president...

October 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. Ohio 4 Obama

Sarah, your aides are correct in calling you a diva. You are, in fact, a diva in a sharp, sharp dive. Even the Anchorage paper has abandoned you in your quest for an office you are in NO WAY equipped to hold.

It's nice of Elisabeth to hold your hand, though.

October 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. carol

It's not a double standard at all. The problem is that the RNC paid for these clothes, which they DO NOT pay for the men nor did the DNC pay for Hillary Clinton's. If I were a donor I would be upset.. They paid more for her makeup then for McCain's foreign policy advisor! I mean come on.

October 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |