October 27th, 2008

Battle for Virginia shifts to getting voters to the polls

Gov. Sarah Palin, the GOP vice presidential nominee, campaigns in Fredericksburg, Virginia, Monday.

(CNN) – In the final days before the election, the strategy in battleground Virginia has shifted from getting people registered to making sure they show up to vote.

"The war's being waged in Virginia," said Michael McDonald, associate professor of government and politics at George Mason University and a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution. "You're seeing both campaigns out in force with their lieutenants and grunts on the ground trying to get people to vote."

Watch: Democrats and Republicans wage ground war in Virginia

With 310,530 new voters registered in Virginia, a whole new group of voters could decide the election in the commonwealth.

Virginia has voted Republican in every presidential race since 1968, but the latest CNN poll of polls calculated Monday shows Barack Obama with a 7-point advantage over John McCain, 51-44 percent, with 5 percent saying they're undecided.

The McCain and Obama campaigns, along with the help of third-party organizations like the AFL-CIO, and women's groups for McCain-Palin have been going door-to-door, making phone calls, handing out literature, and sending text messages to ensure voters know where to go and vote next Tuesday.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

Question to Mobius,
    WHY can't the REPUBS paid and supporters TELL the TRUTH...........DON'T FALL FOR THIS PLEASE GO AND VOTE EARLY....LET'S NOT make a LIAR out of Mobius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. RD

i can only hope that i can see a blue texas

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Viet Vet

I agree with Missouri Mom and I am a Real Man-58 year old whilte male, vietnam Vet (USMC) 35 years same job- -took all kinds of drugs in my younger life- -4 kids 7 grandkids. My vote has been signed sealed and delivered

OBAMA/BIDEN

Go Virginia overwhelming for Obama

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. ENE M DIAZ

AYERS AND WRIGHT,ADVISORS AND CLOSE FRIENDS OF BARACK OBAMA ARE NOW BEHIND THE ELECTIONS GAME AGAIST PALIN-MC CAIN TICKET/////////////////////

October 27, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Former PUMA

As a wife of a service-member currently in Iraq, I ca say McCain is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he is gonna win the military vote. In my husbands unit they are almost all absentee voting for Obama. Same with most people he works with outside his unit. Soldiers are weary and want to come home. Soldiers see first hand the lies of the Bush admin. Sorry John, but you just aren't gonna make it this time around. You can thank Palin for losing this former Hillary-then-McCain-now-Obama supporter, and Thank Bush for losing my active-duty-army-normally-republican-husbands vote!!!!!

October 27, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

HEY Dave in Houston,

OBAMA WILL NEVER WIN TEXAS.

TEXAS VOTERS ARE NOT THAT GULLIBLE TO VOTE FOR OBAMA.

ALOT OF PEOPLE IN HOUSTON AND AUSTIN WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA.

BUT TEXAS IS A BIG STATE AND MC CAIN WILL WIN NO PROBLEM.

I JUST WISH SOME OF THE OTHER STATES WOULD WAKE UP !!!

October 27, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. true values

that backwards "B" on that GOP lady's face represented the backwardness of the GOP fanatics.

I for one want the country to move forward from that ugliness.

That is why my vote goes for Obama.

October 27, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. My Man McCain!

I just heard NOBAMA giving a sermon, I mean speech, makes your skin crawl, words, words and more words, no ideas for this "so-called" change.

...simply an empty suit...

October 27, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. AL, maryland

If Virginia is smart, they will go blue! Go out and VOTE FOR OBAMA!

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Gabr

I am willing to accept Palin for President, looking at her records, her deeds and comparing hers with Obama's. I find it weird, why people think that trained to debate Obama who is eloquent as many others are, would be a better choice than not so eloquent but proven at least and having more experience than Obama has...Looking at some cites like CNN it just looks scary how people deify BHO

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. Terry, Dallas Texas

Ouch. So much hate and name calling from the right. Foe them it's like being strapped to a railroad track and being able to see the train coming but unable to do anything about it.

October 27, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  12. Chris B.

Hey Gabr, what are we supposed to look towards when it comes to the GOP? Smear, fear, faction, hate, antiquated ideals, failure etc. Face it. We have a better candidate who actually inspires people. Stop whining and complaining and acting like our support for Obama is idolatry. What do you call your support for Bush after he lied us into a war and smeared through the last presidential election and, now, his policies and ignorance have sank the economy? That's blindness, my friend.

October 27, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  13. Jason, Omaha, NE

Is anyone else really worried about Obama or something happening if he wins? Please McCain and Palin, if Obama wins ask your supporters to get behind the new President and treat him with the respect the President deserves. This story out of Tennessee is really scary. I didn't want Bush to win, but still respected the people's vote and tried to be respectful towards him even when it was really hard. This country has come so far and all it takes is one radical racist to set this country back years in race relations.

October 27, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  14. Voting for change Seattle, Wa

All I can say is VOTE VOTE VOTE!! PLEASE go out and vote. Vote Early if you can. But the only way we will finally see change is to vote for CHANGE!!

LMAO! That is for you REP that keep talking your trash!! Keep talking, your only making all of us look good!

Obama 2008 and 2012~

October 27, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. conny

Gov Palin, response was when i get back to Alaska, as your Gov i will look deeper into this WHAT., have you given up on VP already. Hopefully Ak., will be smart and make a serious attempt to clean house with the BS Oh Gov Pafalin, i think that you may be included !

October 27, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. Jack from Phoenix

Now we have learned of a plot to kill African-Americans, including Barack Obama. Such an increase in display of hate and bigotry is a DIRECT extension of the hate-mongering, divisive, exclusive policies and campaigning of John McCain and Sarah Palin and the attitudes of the GOP, as so eloquently expressed by Congresswoman Michele Bachmann of Minnesota. You destroy the foundation of this country by running campaigns based on fear, hatred, and statements of individuals or parts of the country as being "more American". The very foundation of this country and the bill of rights is the right for ALL AMERICANS to have life, love, and the pursuit of happiness - not just those who agree with your political or religious beliefs.

We need HOPE not FEAR - Obama/Biden '08

October 27, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Jody Monroe

Wise up, fellow Americans. There are many more parties to vote for, besides the Democrat or Republican parties. They are both 2 sides of the same rotten coin.

Try these for a change: American Indepence party, Constitution party, Green party, Libertarian party, Peace and Freedom party. Be a true Maverick by NOT voting for the same old "same old" parties. Break out of the mold and express your opinion of what America should truly be. You don't have to accept more of the SAME!

October 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. what?

My Man McCain!

Obama gave several specifics and plans in his speech, the same ones he has been giving for months now, if you didn't hear them, then perhaps you are to dumb to process good ideas, that you probably will benefit from

October 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. Gene

Virginia will be blue this year.. and yes, that includes the "Real Virginia" too :)

October 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. TO THE STUPID REPUG

Republicans just SUCKS!!!!!!!

October 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. mitch

another awesome speech by barack! full of ideas to make things better for america and politics. finally, a president all americans can be proud of ,except hateful,racist, republican far right wingnuts!

October 27, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. vera in VA

I live in Virginia and I will not be voting for Obama! I said I would remember in November and I do. No dems ever again for this former life long dem. I think the polls are a joke! But let the Obama cool-aide drinkers have thier fun till next tuesday thats okay!

October 27, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  23. Florida Voter

Vote early if you can. I'm standing in-line right now to cast my vote for Obama.

Restore America's strength, ideals, and decency.

Obama/Biden '08

October 27, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. EX REPUBLICAN IN TEXAS

PLEASE VOTE EARLY!!!

IN TRAVIS COUNTY, OVER 30% OF ALL REGISTERED VOTERS
    HAVE ALREADY VOTED.

I voted for a UNITER, not a DIVIDER, because people,
    DIVIDED WE FAIL!!!

I voted for the candidate who thinks ALL AMERICANS are REAL AMERICANS.

I voted DEMOCRAT, because the Republican Party has been HIJACKED by RADICAL RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS...and hey, I'm a BAPTIST.

I voted for Obama, because Senator McCain has SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL to (try to) win this election.
    The John McCain who ran in 2000 would be ASHAMED of the JOHN McCain running in 2008.

But mostly, I voted for OBAMA because Sarah Palin SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME. She embodies everything that is WRONG with AMERICA.
    I wonder how the polls would look if he had chosen ANYONE else?
    (And there were many other women MORE QUALIFIED)

MCCAIN = BUSH
    OBAMA = CHANGE

October 27, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. tee

My man Mccain- when are we going to hear a plan from Mccain the insane. All he and Palin do is attack Obama's plan. When is he going to put a decent plan together? After the election in his padded cell wearing a straight jacket, while Palin is reading him fairytales about Joe the Plummer and Tito the Builder.

October 27, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |