October 27th, 2008

Stevens: 'I am innocent'

A jury found Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens guilty Monday on federal charges of making false statements on Senate disclosure forms.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens vowed to fight his Monday conviction on federal corruption charges, a verdict he attributed to "repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct."

"I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have," the 84-year-old Stevens, the Senate's longest-serving Republican, said in a written statement after the jury came back Monday afternoon. "I am innocent."

Stevens was convicted of seven counts of making false statements on Senate ethics forms to hide hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts and work on his Alaska home from an oilfield contractor at the center of a corruption probe in the state.

The verdict came days before he is to face voters in a neck-and-neck re-election bid back home. He vowed to get the results overturned and added, "I remain a candidate for the United States Senate."

Filed under: Ted Stevens
  1. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

What would you expect a Republcan to say? The truth?

Ha ha hah hah hah

October 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  2. S. Boatman

Sarah Palin Basically Said The Same Thing When She Was Found Guilty Of Abuse Of Power! She Came Out And Said She Was Happy To Be Found To Haun Done No Wrong When Everyone Else Said She Did!

October 27, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. nelson

Maybe he and Palin will share the same cell. Now that would be funny
    Didn't the AIP build/remodel Palin's house? LOL

October 27, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. Moe, NY

"I remain a candidate for the United States Senate." Is this man playing with a full deck? Still shocks me how these Republicans are caught and found guilty and still have the ba_ _s to think they can continue to go on as if nothing has happened. Stevens is an excellent example of why term limits should be set!

October 27, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. dave harlow

I heard it said on another Stevens comment line, The comment "60 here we come, god bless America" Do you understand that having unbalanced voting is a bad thing. this mean that no one can stop a bad idea that is running amuck.

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Stevens is guilty and he knows it. Please, can someone for once stand up and say "Yes, I did it, please forgive me, I was wrong"? Nope, not gonna happen.

There may, indeed, have been prosecutorial misconduct, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last, but that does NOT mean he is, in truth, innocent.

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  7. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Stevens may think he is innocent but a jury found him guilty. Sorry.

Hey I just heard from a URS that obama is throwing in the towel and crashing to defeat. Seems his town of Chicago needs him to take care of the crime in his neighborhood. Seems his past drug use is finally catching up with him and discouraging voters.

I say if you can't control your hometown, how in tarnation are you going to control our nation.

Give it up Obama and return to clean up your town

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  8. Send Palin home

I believe you as much as I believed Lizzy Borden Palin could see Russia from her house.

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  9. Kimmie

Sir, You are sounding more like OJ everyday.

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. Chris F.

I am sorry, Steve but you are a crook and it is time to pay. You should resign your seat and spare the American People and tax payers the cost of the appeals. I think Sarah should be joining you soon but I am sure the Alaska legislature will just ignore her blatant disregard for the law. I guess this show people from Alaska cannot be trusted..

October 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  11. Almost THERE, hold on just a little longer....

Tell me again who's the hero... Obama who goes out there every day with a price on his head, or country(club)first, mccain.

Attack Obama's "patriotism" NOW.....

October 27, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Darrell

Yes Ted, Palin has already told us if you are found guilty in Alaska that means you are innocent doggone it ! Seems you have a different type of justice there and the verdicts mean the opposite of the way the verdict reads.

October 27, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  13. AZ Lauren

Not according to a jury of my peers. No offense, but I'll take their word over yours any day!

October 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Lee from FL

no your not

October 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  15. Stu-Florida

uuuuurrrrppppmmmph

Hope I didn't get any on your shoes...

October 27, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. Accountant Guy

Imagine that, an Alaskan Leader being found guilty of corruption, who else does that remind me of. Oh yeah, the power abusing unethical Palin!! Get out and Barack the Vote America!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 27, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. John in KY

Not according to 12 of your peers! (Justice Is Served Senator)

October 27, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  18. fat john

ha

October 27, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  19. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Wonder who "Joe the Corrupt Republican" is voting for?

October 27, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  20. JAY N.H.

Innocent based on "repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct." . Not because he didn't do it but because the prosecutor screwed up. Typical. Own up to your mistakes and suffer the consequences.

October 27, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  21. Ghost

Leave it to a repub to continue to run for office after being convicted.

GET OUT AND VOTE THESE PEOPLE OUT OF OFFICE

October 27, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  22. What a complete moron

Typical Republican Crook: "I'm Innocent!" What a load of manure. I say: Let's round up the rest of these GOP Traitors and Crooks and give them the "Anti-American" test that Michelle Bachmann was proposing!

October 27, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. Dan from Philly

Aren't they all innocent? Seven charges, seven unanimous convictions. Yeah, sounds like a technicality to me...

And he's going to get the results of a completed, fair, and certified election overturned? Good luck with that.

Republican politicians really do have a disgusting sense of entitlement.

October 27, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  24. Kina

hahaha...very sad, but funny at the same time, ppl...Sen. Stevens says he's innocent...i just don't get it...innocent of what?...haha...i bet y'all Sarah Palin believes the senator is innocent as well...just like she somehow found the report on troopergate to have exonerated her from any wrongdoing...r these ppl for real?...so Gov. Palin hopes the senator's gonna do the right thing...which is what, exactly?...the dude already says he's innocent...he can't even own to his own deeds...hahaha...and what kinda corruption does Gov. Palin claim to be fighting?...herself?...haha.. thank God we get to have a say on who gets in the oval office...vote, ppl...vote...i don't care what party u belong to...just go and vote...be mindful that a great deal of what we see depends on what we're looking for...write that down...

Obama/Biden '08...

Kina.

October 27, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. Accountant Guy

Get out and vote America. Barack needs us now, just as much as we need him!! Barack the Vote!!

Obama/Biden '08