October 27th, 2008

Stevens verdict: Palin reacts

Gov. Sarah Palin reacted to Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict Monday.
Gov. Sarah Palin reacted to Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict Monday.

RICHMOND, Virginia (CNN) - Sarah Palin said Monday Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict "is a sad day for Alaska."

"This is a sad day for Alaska and a sad day for Senator Stevens and his family," she said on the tarmac at Richmond International Airport. "The verdict shines a light on the corrupting influence of the big oil service company up there in Alaska that was allowed to control too much of our state. And that control was part of the culture of corruption that I was elected to fight, and that fight must always move forward regardless of party affiliation or seniority or even past service.

"As Governor of the State of Alaska, I will carefully now monitor the situation and I'll take any appropriate action as needed. In the meantime, I ask the people of Alaska to join me in respecting the workings of our judicial system and I'm confident that Senator Stevens from this point on will do the right thing for the people of Alaska," she said.

Palin did not respond when asked if she will vote for Sen. Stevens next week and promptly boarded her campaign plane.

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. Voting for change Seattle, Wa

Please CNN expect my comment! Please please please!! Thank you!

Well, well well WHAT A SHOCKER yet another REPBUBLICAN in the news for corruption and scandal. Stealing, lying, cheating, oh and OIL company SOUND familiar?? Oh and what makes it even better is Palin is from that state! Hmmmm Make you wonder? If not it really, really should.
    As I sit here and read comments from some of you people it baffles me that YOU PEOPLE still want to vote for McCain and Palin. You have ALL got to be out of your mind. I am really serious! I read your comments and it makes me sick to my stomach. Most of the Republicans that I have spoke to only STATE the lies that they hear, (they probably mostly hear from church). Please for good sakes if you haven’t voted yet, please read some FACTS first. And for you racist people, please get a life, stop being ignorant, don’t vote for the WHITE man just because he is WHITE. Because it’s been the WHITE people, and the republicans that I see that has us in this messed up state that we find ourselves in today. For you people that keep saying CNN is bias LOL. Try watching Fox News and then let me hear you say that. CNN isn’t bias they are just smart. The people that are actually voting for Obama, we aren’t ignorant or getting played, or fooled, WE ARE SMART! Please please realize the difference. We have let the repubublicans run this country far, far too long. Its time we let the Democrats in so we can actually do the job right, and start fixing this country. I work for the GOVT yep, that’s right I do. I actually work for the VA and trust me the Republican Party hasn’t done anything to help our VETS. I know first hand. So it makes me laugh that only reason that some of you want to vote for Mccain is because he was POW, are you kidding me? He is rich now, he doesn’t care about you VETS anymore; Obama actually has a plan for the VA. Does McCain your chum, buddy, Conrad?? NO NO!!. Don’t get me wrong I DO appreciate and respect McCain for fighting for our country, just like I appreciate and respect everyone of our patients. But trust me I wouldn’t elect any of our patients I have seen suffering from PTSD to be in charged of AMERICAS # 1 job.
    Wake up people please!! You need to actually read the facts, and listen, listen, listen.

WE NEED CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE!

~Obama 2008 and 2012~

October 27, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. We love Sarah

This is how she treats a Senator who supported her bid for Governor?!

Now, she is Miss clean hands. This RACIST needs to go back where she came from!!!

October 27, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. adg

It takes one to know one. I feel bad for alaska they seem to have alot of bad politicans in there state..... They should turn blue and forget Palin ,shes just making them look bad. they both are

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. Chris from St. Louis

How about you missy .... you are next.

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. Voter

"I ask the people of Alaska to join me in respecting the workings of our judicial system"

Didn't she try to hide from our judicial system when it called upon her?

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. John

"I'm confident that Senator Stevens from this point on will do the right thing for the people of Alaska" Sure because she was so honorable when it was found out she abused her own power. This woman is a sad joke

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. turning IN blue from Chicago

Because she's going to vote for him LOL.

Is Alaska going blue this election? Two corrupt officials and a major newspaper endorsement! That would be awesome.

OBAMA-BIDEN 08
    FOR THE CHANGE WE NEED

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. Caligirl

So, is abuse of power and corruption an Alaskan Culture thing?

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. wow

she didn't respond when asked if she'll be voting for him??? Isn't that no brainer????

Oh, wait. I think I just answered my own question!

October 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. KLEE

ho hum

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. HUFFINGTON POST

Do you want to know what the "PNAC" is? The Project of a New American Century is a chilling group of extremists with a world agenda for WAR. John McCain co-founded this group. If you love your children and do not want to see them go to war in Iran, Iraq, Syria, Georgia, or anywhere else please research John McCain's extremist back ground.

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. Noemi in Los Angeles

I dont believe her.

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. hurriCAIN PALIN

check out the history, sen. stevens has brought millions of dollars to

his state, as do any other senators trying to help their states. people

should focus on the work and help the senators did for their states,

instead of personal issues that people dont need to pay attention to,

let the senators take care of their own faults. corruption has always

been in politics for decades, even in the democratic side.

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Chicken Little's Hardhat Company

Of course she's going to vote for him. While she may say that she is a reformer and a maverick (chug, chug), she is of the same cronyistic, power-drunk, power-abusing mold Dick Cheney and W. were cut from.

Must be something in the water...

October 27, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE, VOTE STRAIGHT DEM TICKET!

Yo' half-wit, your speaking in incomprehensible phrases again.

You had nothing to do with "cleaning" up this corruption. In fact, you learned at Steven's knee, or was that on your knees?

America will just add this to the list of Larry Craig who we now know was tap dancing out Broadway show tunes in the stall next to the cute young cop.

October 27, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. paul (reformed republican)

Will Palin vote for Stevens??? Was Ronald Reagan a B-Lister Movie Star????

Of course she'll vote for him; she'll need funds when she runs for President in 2012.

October 27, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  17. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Bye Bye, Sarah!

Why not go back to Alaska NOW?????

October 27, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Brian

YOU SUPPORTED TED STEVENS FOR RE-ELECTION, SARAH.

October 27, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. conny

Am speechless, this is real sad. So what's really going on there!

October 27, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. values

Thats right in 8 days you will be going back to Alaska to work on that and not VP. Thank god.

October 27, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. Terry, Dallas Texas

A sad day? It's only sad for you because you how closely linked to two of you are. It gets worse and worse for the GOP.

October 27, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. Ruby

Dog-gonnit Sarah! YOU'RE NEXT!!! Yeah buddy!

October 27, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. Stu-Florida

As we say in the lower 48... batter up. Watch for those pesky curve balls Palin.

7 and a wake up... the Veterans know what that means : -)

October 27, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. And still she lies

So - is Palin conceding the presidential race or just saying she is going to start paying attention to Alaska's needs now?

October 27, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. My favorite newspaper

Alaska deserves better. Voters, get ready for November 4 for a corruption sweep. Sweep out the trash.

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |