October 27th, 2008

Stevens verdict: Palin reacts

Gov. Sarah Palin reacted to Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict Monday.
Gov. Sarah Palin reacted to Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict Monday.

RICHMOND, Virginia (CNN) - Sarah Palin said Monday Sen. Ted Stevens' guilty verdict "is a sad day for Alaska."

"This is a sad day for Alaska and a sad day for Senator Stevens and his family," she said on the tarmac at Richmond International Airport. "The verdict shines a light on the corrupting influence of the big oil service company up there in Alaska that was allowed to control too much of our state. And that control was part of the culture of corruption that I was elected to fight, and that fight must always move forward regardless of party affiliation or seniority or even past service.

"As Governor of the State of Alaska, I will carefully now monitor the situation and I'll take any appropriate action as needed. In the meantime, I ask the people of Alaska to join me in respecting the workings of our judicial system and I'm confident that Senator Stevens from this point on will do the right thing for the people of Alaska," she said.

Palin did not respond when asked if she will vote for Sen. Stevens next week and promptly boarded her campaign plane.

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. Obama 2008

I guess she thinks it's a sad day in Alaska was when their biggest newspaper company, The Ankorage Daily News, endorsed Obama also!! LOL :)

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Alison

If she wants to be seen as a reformer, she needs to take more of a firm stand against Stevens. Her statement undermines her position on ethics, one of the few issues she claims to know something about.

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Chicken Little's Hardhat Company

Watch...just as Slick Willy pardoned his brother, and Ford pardoned Nixon, W. as a parting middle finger to the country will pardon Stevens, Libby, Palin, and every other Republican criminal we've come to know in the last 8 years.

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Latina-Indepedent-4-OBAMA

PALIN ............NEXT..........ABUSE OF POWER & ETHICS VIOLATIONS!

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  5. Gene

I'm surprised she didn't come out and say "See, as I said and now it's proof, Senator Stevens is completely innocent of all wrongdoing, just like me."

Unbelievable that she would make those statements about respecting the judicial system out of one side of her mouth.. while the other one is telling people to ignore subpoenas issued regarding her own case.

October 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Joseph Adewole

These CEO of big oil Companies are the ones McCain and Palin are fighting for; they all recieve this 'back door' gifts from the big CEO and oil companies....Now Americans can now see why John McCain and Sarah Palin have been criticising Obama for his willingness to tax them (CEOs).

October 27, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  7. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Deep. She asks that Alaskans to "join me (her) in respecting the workings of our judicial system and I'm confident that Senator Stevens from this point on will do the right thing for the people of Alaska,"; kind of like how she and her husband respected the process of the investigation into her ABUSE OF POWER? Refusing subpoenas, fighting before giving documents and depositions? She is HARDLY the one to preach the higher ground in this scenario. I wonder if she has booked her tickets back home to Alaska for next Tuesday night? She isn't going anywhere but home!
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08 & '12 YES WE CAN!

October 27, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. Eight is enough ...

Ha ha ... so "Palin did not respond when asked if she will vote for Sen. Stevens and promptly boarded the campaign plane."

She is probably thinking about whether she can appoint herself as the new Senator for the next few weeks - might actually learn something about government ... scary thought - and will give her somewhere to wear her new clothers

October 27, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. Tannim

Pure vanilla, straight off the cocktail napkin talking point.

So much for her earmark gravy train...

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Gary Chandler in Canada

Why is the comment by Todd Palin that the Palin 1/2 million dollar house 'was built by contractor buddies' is not being vetted?
    When you are coGovernor of a State and their is a sportsplex being built down the road, i guess it's not hard to have 'contractor buddies'.

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. mitch

all from the governor who abused her power as governor of the great state of alaska.

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. carol

I don't know who Sarah Palin is to make a comment on Ted Stevens
    anyway....wasn't she just found guilty of abuse of power herself!!!!
    It seems to me that up there in Alaska corruption runs rampant....Sarah Palin obviously does not see herself as a law breaker!!!!!!
    I don't know how she can go out in the public and keep talking about anybody and their values and policies when she has none of her own....this lady is from another planet.....unbelievable...really unbelievable!!!!
    I think we are all ready to see the back of the McCain Campaign, it has been long and vicious and needs to come to and end.....McCain
    has no honor and credibility left.

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. Mike

I think the Governor of a state replaces a U.S. Senator by appointment if the Senator in question needs to step-down. So if Ted Stevens gets re-elected, he will be forced to step down due to felony charges, which means Sarah will replace him with a Republican of her choosing. Scary thought – so get smart Alaska! Vote Dem!

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. michael

hahahahaha

of course palin...you were hired to fight that corruption.
    the same corruption that you used to build your house, your hockey ring, the same corruption you used to pay for your kids's plane tickets and stay home nights.

go back to your never to be heard again house.
    you are not welcome in the lower 49 states.

we don't want to hear your name ever again as long as there is a united states of america on this great world.

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. therealmarie

One corrupt Republican down and another(Palin) to go.

October 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. JAY N.H.

I wonder how close the governor really is to the companies who provided the house work and other gifts. What do they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Good luck trying to spin this repubs.

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Hemoglobin

Wish she would respect other checks&balances such as the investigation about herself...

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. mouli

Even in corruption, politicians have a tradition and lineage.

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Chris in MN

Palin just likes to pal around with her felonious friends!! I think we should investigate her relationship with Senator Stevens. Felons aren't very pro-american.

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. sandy

Oh my, what a beautiful written reaction by Palin on the news. Must have been written by one of McCains really good writers! I promise she didn"t come up with that reaction by herself. And they were very careful that she didn't react in person but by a written response!!! Go figure. Sorry but I don't believe anything I hear or see from the Republican Party anymore.

Obama/Biden '08

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. A Woman In California For Obama

I am seriously praying in eight days I NEVER have to hear or see this woman again. America definitely has low standards if the McCain/Palin ticket is chosen. McCain: a man who willfully left his crippled wife for money, Cindy: a woman who steals drugs and fathers from their children, Bristol Palin: a knocked up teenager who's(waiting for her baby's daddy), Sarah: a reckless mother and abusive politician whose not fit for anything and Todd Palin: or as they refer to him "first dude" Trash. All of them trash. They all should get out of the public eye and stay out!

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

Palin (first DUDE) buddies around with felons. Didn’t McCain tell the REAL American voters to WAIT until the 4th to VOTE? Right after HE said “I got Obama right were I WANT him, I LIKE being the UNDER DOG!!” Did he forget to INCLUDE Palin in on his comments before she be ginned her OWN campaign for 2012?

Obama/Biden 08

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. caywen

You tell'em, Palin! You role model of non-abuse of Power, you. You're so right to react, you maverick of mavericks. We all respect you, your Maverickiness!

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. ryan

she has been pallin' around with convicted felons ....bitter medicine

October 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. Chad

HMMMMMMMM. He's found guilty and she was found to have abused her powers. Maverick? Please.

October 27, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |