October 28th, 2008

HAPPENING NOW: McCain-Palin in Hershey, PA

Watch the event on CNN.com/live.
Watch the event on CNN.com/live.

(CNN) - John McCain and Sarah Palin are holding a joint-campaign event in Hershey, Pennsylvania this hour.

Watch the event on CNN.com/live

Read McCain's full remarks after the jump

It's great to be back in Pennsylvania. We need to win Pennsylvania on November 4th, and with your help we're going to win here, and bring real change to Washington, DC.

We cannot spend the next four years as we have spent much of the last eight: hoping for our luck to change at home and abroad. We have to act. We need a new direction, and we have to fight for it.

I've been fighting for this country since I was seventeen years old, and I have the scars to prove it. If I'm elected President, I will fight to shake up Washington and take America in a new direction from my first day in office until my last. I'm not afraid of the fight, I'm ready for it.

I have a plan to hold the line on taxes and cut them to make America more competitive and create jobs here at home. We're going to double the child deduction for working families. We will cut the capital gains tax. And we will cut business taxes to help create jobs, and keep American businesses in America. Raising taxes makes a bad economy much worse. Keeping taxes low creates jobs, keeps money in your hands and strengthens our economy.

If I'm elected President, I won't spend nearly a trillion dollars more of your money. Senator Obama will. And he can't do that without raising your taxes or digging us further into debt. I'm going to make government live on a budget just like you do.

I will freeze government spending on all but the most important programs like defense, veterans care, Social Security and health care until we scrub every single government program and get rid of the ones that aren't working for the American people. And I will veto every single pork barrel bill Congresses passes.

I'm not going to spend $750 billion dollars of your money just bailing out the Wall Street bankers and brokers who got us into this mess. I'm going to make sure we take care of the working people who were devastated by the excesses of Wall Street and Washington.

I have a plan to fix our housing market, so that your home value doesn't go down when your neighbor defaults, and so that people in danger of defaulting have a path to pay off their loan.

If I'm elected President, we're going to stop spending $700 billion to buy oil from countries that don't like us very much. Senator Obama will argue to delay drilling for more oil and gas and against building new nuclear power plants in America. If I am president, we will start new drilling now. We will invest in all energy alternatives - nuclear, wind, solar, and tide. We will encourage the manufacture of hybrid, flex fuel and electric automobiles. We will invest in clean coal technology. We will lower the cost of energy within months, and we will create millions of new jobs.

We've learned more about Senator Obama's real goals for our country over the last two weeks than we learned over the past two years, and that only because Joe the plumber asked him a question in Ohio. That's when Senator Obama revealed he wants to quote "spread the wealth around."

Now, Joe didn't ask for Senator Obama to come to his house, and he didn't ask to be famous. He certainly didn't ask for the political attacks on him from the Obama campaign. Joe's dream is to own a small business that will create jobs, and the attacks on him are an attack on small businesses all over the country. Small businesses employ 84 percent of Americans, and we need to support small businesses, not tax them.

After months of campaign trail eloquence, we've finally learned what Senator Obama's economic goal is: to spread the wealth. In a radio interview revealed this week, he said the same thing - that one of the quote, "tragedies" of the civil rights movement is that it didn't bring about "redistributive change."

You see, Senator Obama believes in redistributing wealth, not in policies that grow our economy and create jobs. He said that even though lower taxes on investment help our economy, he favors higher taxes on investment for quote "fairness." There's nothing "fair" about driving our economy into the ground. We all suffer when that happens, and that is the problem with Senator Obama's approach to our economy. He is more interested in controlling wealth than in creating it ... in redistributing money instead of spreading opportunity. I am going to create wealth for all Americans, by creating opportunity for all Americans.

Senator Obama is running to be Redistributionist in Chief. I'm running to be Commander in Chief. Senator Obama is running to spread the wealth. I'm running to create more wealth. Senator Obama is running to punish the successful. I'm running to make everyone successful.

Senator Obama has made a lot of promises. First he said people making less than 250,000 dollars would benefit from his plan, then this weekend he announced in an ad that if you're a family making less than 200,000 dollars you'll benefit - but yesterday, right here in Pennsylvania, Senator Biden said tax relief should only go to "middle class people - people making under 150,000 dollars a year." It's interesting how their definition of rich has a way of creeping down. At this rate, it won't be long before Senator Obama is right back to his vote that Americans making just 42,000 dollars a year should get a tax increase. We can't let that happen.

My opponent's massive new tax increase is exactly the wrong approach in an economic slowdown. The answer to a slowing economy is not higher taxes, but that is exactly what is going to happen when the Democrats have total control of Washington. We can't let that happen. We need pro-growth and pro-jobs economic policies, not pro-government spending programs paid for with higher taxes.

This is the fundamental difference between Senator Obama and me. We both disagree with President Bush on economic policy. The difference is that he thinks taxes have been too low, and I think that spending has been too high.

If we are going to change Washington, we need a President who has actually fought for change and made it happen. The next President won't have time to get used to the office. We face many challenges here at home, and many enemies abroad in this dangerous world.

Senator Biden warned that Senator Obama would be tested with an international crisis. I have been tested. Senator Obama hasn't. Senator Biden referred to how Jack Kennedy was tested in the Cuban Missile Crisis and I have a little personal experience in that. I was on board the U.S.S. Enterprise, and I sat in a jet cockpit on the flight deck waiting to take off. We had a target. I know how close we came to a nuclear war and I will not be a president that needs to be tested.

We know Senator Obama won't have the right response to that test, because we've seen the wrong response from him over and over during this campaign. He opposed the surge strategy that is bringing us victory in Iraq and will bring us victory in Afghanistan. He said he would sit down unconditionally with the world's worst dictators. When Russia invaded Georgia, Sen. Obama said the invaded country should show restraint. He's been wrong on all of these. When I am president, we are going to win in Iraq and win in Afghanistan, and our troops will come home in victory and honor.

Let me give you the state of the race today. There's one week to go. We're a few points down. The pundits have written us off, just like they've done before. My opponent is working out the details with Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid of their plans to raise your taxes, increase spending, and concede defeat in Iraq. He's measuring the drapes, and he's planned his first address to the nation for before the election. I guess I'm old fashioned about these things I prefer to let the voters weigh in before presuming the outcome.

What America needs now is someone who will finish the race before the starting the victory lap ... someone who will fight to the end, and not for himself but for his country.

I have fought for you most of my life, and in places where defeat meant more than returning to the Senate. There are other ways to love this country, but I've never been the kind to back down when the stakes are high.

I know you're worried. America is a great country, but we are at a moment of national crisis that will determine our future.

Will we continue to lead the world's economies or will we be overtaken? Will the world become safer or more dangerous? Will our military remain the strongest in the world? Will our children and grandchildren's future be brighter than ours?

My answer to you is yes. Yes, we will lead. Yes, we will prosper. Yes, we will be safer. Yes, we will pass on to our children a stronger, better country. But we must be prepared to act swiftly, boldly, with courage and wisdom.

I'm an American. And I choose to fight. Don't give up hope. Be strong. Have courage. And fight. Fight for a new direction for our country. Fight for what's right for America.

Fight to clean up the mess of corruption, infighting and selfishness in Washington.

Fight to get our economy out of the ditch and back in the lead.

Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.

Fight for our children's future.

Fight for justice and opportunity for all.

Stand up to defend our country from its enemies.

Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. America is worth fighting for. Nothing is inevitable here. We never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history. Now, let's go win this election and get this country moving again.

###

1. ANGIE

I live in PA, where I live very heavy republican area obama has some struggles here but I think in the Long run Obama will win this state but I wouldnt say landslide

October 28, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Mbala

Obama all the way

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. NoMcSame

In one more week it will be back to the dark and cold my GURL. We have had enough of you down here trying to split the Great Country in two. It's time to come together and work for a better America not the one that you and McSame wants to have. The Jig is up on your way of doing things so go back To Alaska and don't come back till you change your wicked ways.
    Obama/Biden08

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. The Voice

This woman is Bush in a dress. Scary!
    Talks about fighting corruption in DC, she abused power in Alaska. That falls under corruption!

Democrats in 08!

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. jane

This woman is toxic!!! Wake up America do you actually, really think she is qualified to be our president. She divisive and down right mean. She needs to be at home with her family. Especially her infant son who she is parading around to get sympathy. I feel sorry for him!

Obama/Biden one more week. Can't wait to vote!!!

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Independent white female patriotic voter

They continue their tour with lies, lies and more lies. They are misleading the American public by spinning much of what is being said and lying about what Obama would do as president. That is the main reason, as an Independent voter, I am voting for Obama. Negative politics push me away.

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. A ROSE FROM IOWA

Palin, Shrieking louder does not make you a better candidate.

McCain, The neo-cons aren't doing it for ya', huh???

October 28, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. katiec

Does anyone besides me get tired of the same garbage coming
    out of Mccain/palins mouths at every rally? I have not heard an
    original thought for weeks. Well, have never heard an original
    thought from palin, the robot.
    Am encouraged to see voters see through their ill run campaign.
    Am proud to see the American voters realizing that Barack
    Obama is a must for the survival of our country.

October 28, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. Mary

I am a Democrat who is voting for McCain/Palin , because they are the most honest and care about the American people. Barack ia a fake who only cares about himself and his black people. I do not want to give my taxes to take care of lazy people.

October 28, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. AmericadowntheDrainMcCain

She didn't say thanks but no thanks to the Bridge Ted Stevens proposed to build in Alaska, she didn't say thanks but no thanks to the $150,000 shopping spree? what happened to being all mavericky on the campaign trail? Obama is the only candidate who has stuck to his guns thoughout the campaign. Anyone who saw Meet the Press on Sunday saw that the current McCain is a contradiction, a ship without a sail. He came off as a man in conflict with himself, it's almost as if he has dual personalities a Jekyll and Hide dilemma. Brokaw was able to point out so many instances that showed him as a flip flopper extraordinaire.

Go Obama

October 28, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. Denise Walters

I am actually looking forward to the Sarah Palin talk show that will be coming in 2009. She's cute and really entertaining.

October 28, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. Mike in Columbus

Maybe if they tried a positive message, JUST ONCE, they may have gained some ground. Tell me, why you?

We all know, YOU GOT NOTHING! NOTHING!!!

The mccain campaign has ruined any hope for palin. palin the rogue candidate seems to have just figured that out. So true to form, she bites the hand that fed her. palin will move to seperate herself from mccain more and more over this week.

October 28, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. Accountant Guy

McBush asked for the corrupt Steven's to step down, so I wonder if he will do the same with his corrupt VP Palin!! Get out and Barack the Vote America!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 28, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. francheska ;-)

McCain and Palin are proof that a sucker really is born everyday. ;-)

October 28, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. McCain/Palin

Go McCain/Palin, no matter how you spin it, B.O. still stinks!

October 28, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. yikes

Well, the Hershey corp, stopped making chocolate in the town named after them and shipped those good jobs to mexico, but hey it increased the profits for the company and whats good for business is good for the country right, tell that to all the people of Hershey PA who are now out of a job. I no longer buy hershey products.

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  17. joe

Ted Stevens corruption convictions is a big red flag that Paulin is a very bad choice of McCain. The country need change not more of the same politics.

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. Darrell

Blue is the color of hope and prosperity !
    Red is the color of anger and division !

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. Loletha

Mccain VP scares the hell of me, lack of respect for Mccain campaign. My good people Republicans and all
    Palin has her own hidden agenda, saids she's a DIVA ooooooooh no
    DIVA'S ARE INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL, LOVES A GOOD CHALLENGE AND ALWAYS ON TOP OF THERE GAME

PALIN GAME IS FOR PALIN NOT THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. Lu from Houston, TX

Palin – more dangerous than McCain. She has revived the memories of Hitler and KKK.

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. Bob Indianapolis IN

Back to Alaska where you and Todd can be King and Queen of the AIP! And by the way, no one is buying the designer duds for charity routine...

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. Sam the Butcher

Hooray for Blinky and Winky.
    Still spewing lies about Sammy Joe the fake plumber, still spewing lies about taxes, still failing to acknowledge that he was against W's taxes before he flip-flopped to pander to the base. Progressive taxation is not socialism, if you don't know that you are clearly unfit to be President (picking Palin also makes one clearly unfit to be President, os it's a wash). Supporting W and having our country falter to the point where 9 banks are now partially govt owned IS socialism. Having all taxpayers buy up bad mortgages IS more in line with socialism. McClueless is more like it.
    In one week, you are back to one of the mansions and Alaska, respectively.
    Hey Johnny – did you check with the diva before you said Teddy Stevens needs to step down? She might still be voting for him you know.
    Look out 'merica we've got a rogue maverick on the loose. That Sarah, she's so.....Mavericky

October 28, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. Dave in Albuquerque

As an Obama supporter I have to concede that Governor Palin probably has a national political future - once she gets past all her rookie mistakes. She's still in rookie mistake mode, however. If this was baseball, she'd be one of the bright stars of Triple A but the coaches would be saying, don't rush her, she's not ready for the majors. Unfortunately, Coach McCain pulled her up from the minors way too soon. More a judgment on Coach McCain than anyone else.

October 28, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |