October 29th, 2008

Dole's 'Godless' ad causes stir

A new campaign ad from Elizabeth Dole alleges her opponent is 'Godless.'
A new campaign ad from Elizabeth Dole alleges her opponent is 'Godless.'

(CNN) - The already-contentious North Carolina Senate race took a brutal turn Wednesday after incumbent Sen. Elizabeth Dole released a television ad suggesting challenger Kay Hagan is "Godless."

“A leader of the Godless Americans PAC recently held a secret fundraiser for Kay Hagan,” the 30-second ad says before showing clips from members of the group declaring God and Jesus do not exist.

“Godless Americans and Kay Hagan. She hid from cameras. Took godless money,” the ad's narrator also says. “What did Kay Hagan promise in return?”

Watch: Dole hits airwaves with 'Godless' ad

The ad ends with an unidentified female voice declaring, "There is no God."

The Dole campaign says it's basing its charge on Hagan's attendance at a fundraiser that was in the home of an advisor to the Godless Americans’ political action committee, a group that promotes rights for atheists.

In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Hagan said she has never heard of the Godless PAC "before Lydie Dole sent out a press release on this," and said the fundraiser in question had more than 40 hosts, including Sen. John Kerry. She also said she has contacted her lawyers to issue a cease-and-desist order on the commercial.

"I am absolutely appalled at Elizabeth Dole's vile tactics," Hagan said. “This is politics of the worst kind, and I know it has been rejected by North Carolinians at every level. It is so unbecoming of a woman like Elizabeth Dole. This is a fabricated, pathetic ad."

Hagan went on to strongly defend her faith: "I am a Sunday school teacher, I am an elder at First Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, my family has been going to this church for over 100 years, I have raised my children there. I have been involved in youth missions."

A National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesman defended the ad.

"Kay Hagan recently attended a fundraiser held in the home of a founding member of the Godless Americans PAC," Online Communications Director John Randall said. "Now Hagan believes it is unfair to associate her with the group even though the soiree raised her thousands of dollars in campaign cash. I guess money is more important to Hagan than principles."

Recent polls suggest Hagan - a Democratic state senator from Greensboro who began the race at a major money disadvantage to Dole - is now leading the incumbent slightly with only days remaining before Election Day.

Filed under: Kay Hagan
  1. FreeNLovIt

What good is it if you are a Republican, but you LIVE a life lIKE you dont know God?

Jesus used to call them Pharisees. They know the laws but have NO LOVE for the poor and the needy.

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. Get Real

As a Christian, I know that .... God has not given us a Spirit of Fear but of Power, Love and a Sound Mind.

The Republican Party attempts to "USE" God as if they are the only ones that God is concerned about.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal life.

STOP USING MY LORD AND SAVIOR TO PROMOTE MAN"S POLITICS!~ NOW I AM MAD>

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. God

I don't endose this message.

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. 400 families own half the country!

and they are trying to steal the other half,

while distracting the people with non-issues.

you want to be slaves to them for the rest of your life?

enjoy your capitalism!

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. haiticuba

it seems as though the repulicans are the most raicist political party of my day and age, racists

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. TSD from Houston, TX

I thought our country had the separation of church and state? I guess not. I'm Christian and devoutly religious. I find that ad deplorable and ignorant. I think it's stupid that Republicans think they have a monopoly on religion and everybody else isn't close 2 religious.

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. Despicable!

Right, that's it, I have no idea who Kay Hagen is but I am doing a search online and donating to her *today*. I used to respect Dole even though I disagreed with her – no more.

Republicans, don't you get it? The country is fed up to here with your dirty smear tactics – look where they've "led" us. Fortunately come next Tuesday there will be a lot fewer of you in office.

October 29, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Elizabeth Dole: There's nothing she won't do or say at this point for your vote.

Next, Elizabeth Dole will say that Kay Hagen was responsible for 9-11 and that the WMDs are in her basement. These clowns are utterly beyond words at this point. Shameful does not even begin to describe the GOP at this point. Abe Lincoln is crying...

9. The Answer

The answer is quite simple. WE DON'T BELIEVE REPUBLICANS.

I'm an American Voter and I approve this message.

Obama/Biden 08

10. John

Elizabeth dole
    crawl into your hole
    scores an own goal
    and make like a mole.

Rodents and Republicans unite.

Vote the Dem ticket Obama, Kay Hagan

11. etl

WOW! So this is what our country has come to!

12. KennySFV

I hope that most rational Americans are realizing the implicit intent of many Republicans to turn this nation into a Christian theocracy. Actually, the intent may be more explicit.

Nevertheless, our founding fathers (Jefferson, Adams, et al) never desired this nation to be governed by religious dogma, but rather by the rational choices of its people. Religion has no place in our government!

13. Jillian

Elizabeth must think SHE is GOD/ How dare her.....I have lost all repect for her.

14. Frank

More Republican filth. This is absolutely disgusting.

As a Carolina grad, I hope that my fellow Tarheels still living in NC will turn their backs on this hate-mongering old woman.

15. Carlos

The new slogan that you're sure to hear from Mccain, Palin and all there followers: "GODLESS"

Add that to Redistributor, Socialist, Marxist..........

16. Truth Hurts

This is all the GOP knows. Attack, Attack, at any cost!! That's the reason why they are losing!!

17. Charlotte

Oh my Dog, you have to be kidding me. I live in Raleigh and I've seen a LOT of the bickering between these two - some really nasty, ugly, petty commercials. But this one takes the cake. Shameful!

18. Dave

I hope she lose I'm not from NC but I hope they do the right thing and renounce this type of dirty campaign.

19. Christian born and raised

It is too bad that the religious right has turned Jesus' message of love and acceptance into Hate and prejudice.

20. KD

Typically Repug tactics, try and smear everyone if your loosing. Come on NC, it's time for the voters to get out and elect a Senator who is from NC and cares about the state instead of someone who goes home to Kansas all the time. It's time to kick the GOP slimes out of office.

21. Tiff of lithia springs

I was calling Elizabeth Dole a respectable republican. I was feeling sorry for her.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK WHOLEHEARTEDLY. SHE NEEDS TO GO DOWN IN FLAMES WITH THE REST OF THE THUGS IN THIS PARTY!

ROCK ON HAGAN.

22. Joe Hussein McCain

God is not Mocked! people are going to get enough of messing with God, using him for political purposes, watch what happens to the GOP,

23. Karen from Charlottesville

What a shame. I always had a lot of respect for Dole, but like McCain, she's has really plummeted to vile tactics in her dispair.

24. Rick

May Dole and all of these religious whackos burin in hell for eternity for claiming they bbelieve in god...low life scum is more like it

25. Sara

ATHEISTS ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!

STOP DEMONIZING US!!