October 29th, 2008

Foreclosure crisis raising questions for some Florida voters

A caller from Florida reached out to CNN's voter hotline about voting when a home is in foreclosure.

(CNN) – The economy has been Issue #1 for voters in CNN’s polls for several months. As Election Day approaches, the foreclosure crisis means new concerns for some voters who have reached out for information on CNN’s voter hotline.

“My home was recently foreclosed on and I don’t know if I’ll be able to vote in my registered precinct,” a caller for Jacksonville, Florida said in a recent call to CNN. “I was able to for the primary but I don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

Florida has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Now the rumor that a foreclosure may disqualify someone who is otherwise a properly registered Florida voter has become so widespread that the Secretary of State has addressed the issue on its “Election Myths vs Facts” Web page.

Here’s what the Web page says about foreclosures and voting in Florida:

MYTH: If your house is under foreclosure, you will not be able to vote.

FACT: A foreclosure notice does not necessarily mean that a person no longer resides in the home, as people often remain in the home after foreclosure begins and are sometimes able to refinance the home. Voters whose homes have been foreclosed but who remain in their homes may continue to vote in their assigned precinct. Voters who have physically moved from their foreclosed residence with no intention of returning to that address as their residence may still vote, but should provide a change of address to the supervisor of elections. You must vote in your correct precinct.

If you live in Florida, click here to go to Florida's Election Myths vs. Facts Web page

If you don't live in Florida, click here for a list of links to info on other states

Filed under: Economy • Florida • Voter Problems
  1. Billy

Sure, don't cover the fact that Palin threw McCain under the bus by saying when they lose, she plans to run in 2012, CNN.

Other networks have broke this story and you guys are clueless.

October 29, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Amber

Thank you for being responsible stewards of information, CNN.

October 29, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. who are the liar's?

FYI to all the Bush haters out here on CNN, It was the liberal crowd who caused the mortgage crisis, in other words, the Democrats.

October 29, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  4. Top CNN story! Another Sarah Palin smear!

WHy?!?! Why CNN?!?! Why are you so determined to tighten this race up?? Campbell Brown ranting about broken OBama promises. Top stories about Obama knowing where Jimmy Hoffa is? Rejecting Obama's closing argument commercial? Letting McCain on your show to spew more hate after he dragged your name through the mud and blew you guys off??? Why??!?!

October 29, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. howl with fries

It's the ECONOMY, stupid! Advantage Obama and Biden. Even more so with big Bill on the way. God there campaign is well run. Goodbye Johnny be good and and tell Sarah to prepare for her next run at national office, won't you?

October 29, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Nimi from NY

CNN likes to headline all McCain's news but will not carry Obama's informatial. I have always known you are biased against Obama but I didn't think you will take it to a whole new level.

My house was foreclosed and I moved but because of how enthused I am about this election I didn't take anything for granted. I had to change my address with NY Board of Elections. I am only concerned though that my children who are first time voters didn't get their cards yet and their names haven't yet appeared in the voters registry.

October 29, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Griff

My real comment are accepted,,, History will repeat itself just for that reason.... You can't escape the Past...... Empancipation say's CNN
    Your 200 yrs too late..

October 29, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  8. Vegas

Just call ACORN... they most likely have you registered already two or three times... if not... pick any dead or minor name and use that one... shouldn't be a problem

October 29, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

The republicans have stooped to the lowest level ever in campaign history. McCain's the leader and he's rotten to the core. NOT THIS TIME.

I voted early for Obama/Biden.

Vote early if you can – the republicans have even more tricks up their sleeves this year to invalidate your vote. DO IT !!!!

October 29, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Griff

NO!!!!!! NO!!!! NOOOO!!!! My real comments were not accepted....

October 29, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. mary

I hope that yet another rumor does not keep people from voting.

October 29, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Griff

Who say's Mau Mau, can't come to the USA???

October 29, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  13. Whitney, OH

You're an American, so what if you don't have a house. Vote and be counted, fight, do whatever you have to do. This election is too important, we have to throw the bums out.

Obama/Biden 08

October 29, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  14. Carl from MI

I'm sure Republicans will find a way to scare voters away from voting in Florida too. Republicans claim to be the PATRIOTIC party, yet at every opportunity they attempt to keep people from voting. How PATRIOTIC IS THAT? They have the nerve to call themselves AMERICANS!!! They are a stain on our great nation's flag...

WAKE UP, AMERICA!! VOTE SMART... NOT SENILE!!!

October 29, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  15. veteran

Vote McCain Colorado!
    never mind what the Communist Nationalist Network says, its all Bull and Bias.

October 29, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. karen-phoenix

Vote Obama/Biden and this could all be over. Obama will put an instant STOP on forclosures!!! And renegotiate morgages. God Bless Obama/Biden!!!!

October 29, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  17. Already voted for "that one"

I have never voted in any election until this one, this election is far too important to not be involved. President Obama will lead us into a whole new era in which all citizens of the world are treated equally, just like God & the United States Constitution intended. Shame on Senator McCain & Sarah Palin for trying to divide this nation in it's time of crisis. For every single voter that McvCain/Palin get with their vile & completely false accusations, they will lose five. The McCain campaign has proven just how out of touch the Republican candidates truly are. When children in 100 years read back in their American history books... they will read about a Great American President named Barack Obama... they will also learn about how in the year 2008 the Republican party was given a fatal blow and never recovered... they will read back on 2008 as the "year the Republican party died", and Sarah Palin, John McCain, George Bush, Dick Chenney, Karl Rove, & GOP propeganda channel Fox News were it's destroyers.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

YES WE DID!!!

October 29, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. JUAN C AR LOS

ARE,,,,,,,,,,YOU,,,,,,,,,,,REFERRING,,,,,,,,,,,,,TO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THOSE,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BORROWERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHO,,,,,,,,,,,,,LIED,,,,,,,,,,ON,,,,,,,,,,,,THEIR,,,,,,,,,,,,

LOAN,,,,,,,,,,,APPLICATIONS,,,,,,,,,,,,TOOK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CASH,,,,,,,,,,,,OUT,,,,,,,,,,

OF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE,,,,,,,,,,,,PROPERTY,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,,,,,ARE,,,,,,,,,NOW,,,,,,,,,,

IN,,,,,,,,,,,DEFAULT ??

October 29, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  19. rahepee

Gary,

Spoken like a true loser. I hope you choke on all your bile when the man you have unjustly vilified is sworn in as President of the United States. You and Rush can stew in your own juices...

October 29, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. Richard A. Spomer

Do you know how to vote absentee? Since you know what precinct you was in there is an address and phone number to the voting register.

Bad brakes and misunderstandings befall many people now days so don't confuse the issues.

October 29, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  21. redhead from toronto

Gary, Stop shouting please, put on your white sheet and pointy hat, take a pill and relax, why dontcha?

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. phili

I used to live in FL until 2004 and I am still disenfranchised about the election in 2000. I think that the RNC is doing anything in their power to do the same thing. I am going to watch this race very close on Tuesday. This is the last election the Supreme Court will be able to give to RNC. I am so discusted by Republicans. I will forward to vote on Nov 4 for Obama. I can't wait until we get the white and congress to turn this country aroung. Change is coming...

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Evan, columbia, SC

Please vote early if you can. I am just so fed up with this Republican campaign tactics. You never know what they might spring up next.
    OBAMA/BIDEN O8!!!

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  24. LYNETTE IN CA

WHERE'S MICHIGAN??

THEY'RE THE ONE WITH THE SERIOUS VOTER FRAUD ISSUES AROUND FORECLOSURE!!!

October 29, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. Pamela, NH

Just five more days until we can finally send McCain back to Arizona. I can't wait, oh and we can send Bush back to Crawford, Texas in 3 1/2 months. What a happy day. That man has been poison for the country and he should be ashamed of himself. There's a special place in hell for leaders who have the power and the opportunity to do good, and do harm.

George Sr. and Babs raised a knucklehead, and America is all the worst for it. I never want to see another Bush in my lifetime. I hope they hang their heads in shame and NEVER come back.

Obama/Biden 08