October 29th, 2008

Foreclosure crisis raising questions for some Florida voters

A caller from Florida reached out to CNN's voter hotline about voting when a home is in foreclosure.

(CNN) – The economy has been Issue #1 for voters in CNN’s polls for several months. As Election Day approaches, the foreclosure crisis means new concerns for some voters who have reached out for information on CNN’s voter hotline.

“My home was recently foreclosed on and I don’t know if I’ll be able to vote in my registered precinct,” a caller for Jacksonville, Florida said in a recent call to CNN. “I was able to for the primary but I don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

Florida has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Now the rumor that a foreclosure may disqualify someone who is otherwise a properly registered Florida voter has become so widespread that the Secretary of State has addressed the issue on its “Election Myths vs Facts” Web page.

Here’s what the Web page says about foreclosures and voting in Florida:

MYTH: If your house is under foreclosure, you will not be able to vote.

FACT: A foreclosure notice does not necessarily mean that a person no longer resides in the home, as people often remain in the home after foreclosure begins and are sometimes able to refinance the home. Voters whose homes have been foreclosed but who remain in their homes may continue to vote in their assigned precinct. Voters who have physically moved from their foreclosed residence with no intention of returning to that address as their residence may still vote, but should provide a change of address to the supervisor of elections. You must vote in your correct precinct.

If you live in Florida, click here to go to Florida's Election Myths vs. Facts Web page

If you don't live in Florida, click here for a list of links to info on other states

Filed under: Economy • Florida • Voter Problems
  1. Don't Worry, Be Happy

I'm so happy I could fly home. I'm happy that the country is about to get it right this time. I'm happy that most Americans know it's crazy to put people in charge of the government who don't really like the government.

How stupid do you have to be to tank the entire US government?

I'm happy that the legacy of George W. Bush will be the WORST PRESIDENT IN MODERN TIMES. How's that for starters? He will go down in history as the worst ever. We have all those Republicans to thank for making our country the laughing stock of the world. George was the most disastrous president we could have ever had and I can't wait until his stupid name is voted to be on the 10 worst president's list by 400 historians.

October 29, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Anita from Arizona

Gary,,,,,

I think you may have some other issues you need to deal with aside from hating Obama and his supporters. I'll pray for you.

October 29, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Alex

I love it. One minute people are condeming CNN for being too light on Obama the next they're condeming CNN for being too negative on Obama. Make up your minds. It's called being balanced. CNN shouldn't care if a story causes an impact on the polls, their job is to report that's going on out there. If they don't report the bad along with the good - about either candidate - they aren't doing their job.

October 29, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. Barack Yes, Bush No

The party of Lincoln is mourning today. We have essentially elected the most dispicable presidents of all time. How'd you like to go down in history as the worst US president ever? That's something to tell the grandkids. His father was tolerable, but he was awful.

If I could take the last 8 years back, I would, but I can't. The only thing I can do is my part to vote for a man of good character. That man is Barack Obama, and I'll be honored to vote for him.

Obama/Biden 08

October 29, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. Uncle Fester

Gary. you need to seek professional help, you are completely unhinged., not to mention and idiot AND a moron

October 29, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. Al

Dearest Florida,

Please do the right thing this time and go blue. Imagine the mess we would not be in today if you had gone blue the last two times. And speak of de-regulations, it is not the Democrats to blame. John McCain is the king of de-regulation and has publically spoken out about being the biggest supporter of de-regulation. All this free reign on de-regulation and letting all these Wall Street revelers run around un-watched is what got us into this mess.

October 29, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  7. vahe

lets vote mccain people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets lose our houses and jobs people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mccain mccain mccain lets vote and turn in to silley idiots

October 29, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. Go OBAMA

gary ur a sad man. ur man mccain and barbie cant run a campain. why would u trust him to run the country.

October 29, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. obama fan

To Gary Are you sure your not talking about McCain and Palin because everything you wrote sounds exactly like them. Let's talk about naive. If you really think that Palin is qualified for VP then you really need to pay more attention!

October 29, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  10. Biff

I see all of the fake hillary supporters/posers..... from the Operation Chaos primaries are out in force today......

HEY GUYS...... NICE TO see YOU AGAIN.......

October 29, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  11. Sheri

Some interesting information for persons who are loosing their homes – Acorn is one of the political coalitions that were behind the push for new loan criteria for low-income, high-risk persons, which resulted in these boutique loans that are now hurting everyone. Obama worked for Acorn as a lawyer before he ran for Senate and they are one of his major contributors. Even though he claims to be appalled and blames the Republicans, he himself was behind the problem. Just another one of his many many lies.

October 29, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Scott L

RAISE TAXES RAISE TAXES RAISE TAXES!

Nancy Pelosi is licking her chops...

Democrats gonna shove bill after bill raising taxes down American throats...

October 29, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  13. shynynface

Many people have been bamboozled in this credit market and they have no outlet what so ever. There is a great need that will take sometime to fulfill.There is prayer for all those who has lost and do not know where to turn.

October 29, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. Mary in North Carolina

Campbell Brown has sold her soul for trying to get ratings...i used to respect her as a fine journlist. Also she has become Sara Palin's biggest cheerleader..

October 29, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  15. Chris Taylor

to No Hillary = No Obama:

Dont forget that John McCain has three homes of his own.

October 29, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. lea

What is this Country coming to? We are one nation. This is just an election. It's not a revolution. No candidate from either party would have gotten this far, if any of the inuendos being made were even half true. Both men running are good decent men, they just come from different political parties. Yes, I prefer Obama over McCain, but if Obama doesn't win McCain will have all of my respect, and I will still love this Country.

October 29, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  17. Texas Teacher

Florida AGAIN! These people have no Honor, no pride! Winning at any cost is sicking.... I believe the people will rebel if these people win! Everyone would know it was a FIX!

For Shame McCain.... For shame McSame.... For shame McBarbie!

What will they think of next? Cheat and steal, lie and deceive. Can anyone have any faith in these republicans? I'm appalled! Everyone else should be as well!

I'm glad I voted for Obama.... early!

October 29, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  18. Voted Obama already

Don't worry Gary...we've got a spot for you too on the winning team. It'll be on the bench but we'll make sure your family gets the tax cut McCain won't be able to get you.

October 29, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  19. Patrick

It looks like FLORIDA, OHIO, and possibly Virgina will be deciding this election. It will be intersting to see if the people suffering in those states stick with what got them there or will they step in a new direction.
    OBOMA*BIDEN

October 29, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. Stu-Florida

Since I live in Florida I have to speak from Florida. Yes, the foreclosure rate here is staggering.... true gone are the days of construction jobs that mean a plethora of other jobs and business'.
    The ones to blame... our State Legislature, who refuses to address the staggering home insurances and the unjustified property taxes. Our "Governor" claims he has done things about these issues. Where I ask?? He's not nearly as popular as he like to believe and boasts that he is.
    all surrounding states have incentives for home buyers. They have reduced taxes and insurance costs by actually doing something about them. NOT JUST TALK...seems to be the Republican way! Yak, Yak SO glad I'm now Democrat!!!
    Plain and simple no one wants to come here anymore and others are leaving in droves... the ones that have to and the ones that want to, despite the costs to them. It will be 3-5 years AFTER the rest of the country starts to move in a positive direction before Florida does.
    This is what we get for voting for you Christ... your face that won't leave the camera while your buddy McCain stumps. Hope you get yours at the next election. We need Jeb back!!! the only good Bush!!

October 29, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. Freedom for fries

Sarah can see Russia from Alaska, I can see Cuba in Florida. I hope they won't the same mistake. The economy trumps all.

October 29, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  22. Jill

The Republicans is what got us where we are today. For crying out loud....we're in a mess. We need a change and a new direction.
    VOTE OBAMA

October 29, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  23. Texas Teacher

As I tell my students, "If I catch you in the act, don't bother to say, "It waudin' me!" You just add insult to injury and besides, you are lying!"

These republicans got us into the financial mess we are in with their corporate welfare and deregulation policies! Now they are actually trying to blame it on democrats.... worse OBAMA! They are truly adding insult to injury! They need to be kicked out of school. They have NO honor!

October 29, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. SG

Dear Gary from the post below:

You're a symptom of the disease that is intolerance. Also, you should learn how to spell.

October 29, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. LEISA M

Gary at least be original with you comment, you totally stole another blogger comment and turned it around against Obama. This is the presidency. The president should have the best education to lead which McCain and Palin is both lacking and this is whom we should select to lead us into the new world. I am sorry. I am voting Obama/Biden p.s. already voted looked what the self claimed "C" student Mr. Bush got us into we should learn from past mistakes.

October 29, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |