October 29th, 2008

Foreclosure crisis raising questions for some Florida voters

A caller from Florida reached out to CNN's voter hotline about voting when a home is in foreclosure.

(CNN) – The economy has been Issue #1 for voters in CNN’s polls for several months. As Election Day approaches, the foreclosure crisis means new concerns for some voters who have reached out for information on CNN’s voter hotline.

“My home was recently foreclosed on and I don’t know if I’ll be able to vote in my registered precinct,” a caller for Jacksonville, Florida said in a recent call to CNN. “I was able to for the primary but I don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

Florida has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Now the rumor that a foreclosure may disqualify someone who is otherwise a properly registered Florida voter has become so widespread that the Secretary of State has addressed the issue on its “Election Myths vs Facts” Web page.

Here’s what the Web page says about foreclosures and voting in Florida:

MYTH: If your house is under foreclosure, you will not be able to vote.

FACT: A foreclosure notice does not necessarily mean that a person no longer resides in the home, as people often remain in the home after foreclosure begins and are sometimes able to refinance the home. Voters whose homes have been foreclosed but who remain in their homes may continue to vote in their assigned precinct. Voters who have physically moved from their foreclosed residence with no intention of returning to that address as their residence may still vote, but should provide a change of address to the supervisor of elections. You must vote in your correct precinct.

If you live in Florida, click here to go to Florida's Election Myths vs. Facts Web page

If you don't live in Florida, click here for a list of links to info on other states

Filed under: Economy • Florida • Voter Problems
  1. Irony

Gary:

1, Educated people use the "shift" key and know when to use capital letters.
    2, You are an idiot and a racist.

Obama will win this election, our country will return to normal, and fools like you can go back into hiding for another 4 years.

October 29, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. Freedom for fries

Gary, I seriously hope you move to Gary, Indiana. I have friends there who would just love to meet you! Keep taking the pills and burning holes in your white sheets. You already shot yourself in the foot! Vote for changeand sanity this fall!

October 29, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. BRAD

One things for certain, we sure can't accuse Palin of having ties to any professors.

October 29, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  4. peter

No matter what Obama/Biden will be innaugerated in January 20 2009.

October 29, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Jason

I'm voting for "That Guy" with ONE house.

October 29, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  6. Reality Check

Gary drank the Kool-aid they're serving at those McCain-Palin rallies. Got your candidates confused, haven't you. You're one angry confused fellow. Dosen't look like things are going to get any better for you on Nov 5th.

October 29, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  7. Charlie Bradley

TURN FLORIDA BLUE
    TURN FLORDIA BLUE
    RESTORE AMERICA THROUGH AND THROUGH
    TURN FLORIDA BLUE

October 29, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  8. Kyle

I'll bet John and Cindy McCain keep all their EIGHT HOUSES. No foreclosures are in their future.
    I'm voting for "That Guy" with ONE HOUSE.

October 29, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. Ken Mullan

Watching the financiak experts staggering under monetary policies make one wonder what ever happened tp good old Keynesian economics.

October 29, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  10. Flo

Every vote matter in this election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one should be discounted because of circumstances beyond their control. We need every vote to turn Florida BLUE.................I'm working very hard to get people to the polls in Georgia because I don't want four more years of the "same shist different day". McCain/Palin does not have the fortitude to bring about change and that is what I tell my co-workers, friends, and neighbors. Obama has new ideas and speak to the issues that is important to families. We should give him a chance to make it a reality afterall George Bush had 8 years and look where we are today. We need to do something different; Obama is "brilliant" and forward thinking, we need someone like thas in the Whitehouse.

PLEASE VOTE FOR CHANGE!

October 29, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  11. Jane

McCain will have the chads fall in his direction....It's an old Republican trick that works like a charm.

October 29, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Mollie

If I hear Sarah Palin say the words "you betcha" one more time I'll scream. Only 6 more days to go. . . . . . . .

October 29, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. Tania

CNN, why was this article not entitled 'Palin accuses Obama of ties to McCain/Republican Party affiliate?

Fair and responsible journalism? Your doing it wrong!

Stop putting these LIES on the front page. Call a spade a spade, and then BURY them with it!

October 29, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. Your worst nightmare: an intelligent brown skinned woman

Go JOHN McCAIN! You have my brown-skinned vote!

October 29, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. Is that an ice berg I see?

I hope McCain's "advisors" have their life jackets with them.

October 29, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. KLEE

This country needs a shake up – trying always to repress the brightess people – very scary when someone with intelligence – doesn't measure up on the whiteness scale isn't it. Send out mocking cries like mau mau – what an idiot! My biggest hope is that Obama gets elected and does such a good job – it shuts up all these hate mongers and bigots – I'm so tired of hearing them all my life – they have no honor *period*

October 29, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  17. bob

I am like many other people, I would like to keep my 401K and my job from going over seas. So to me a vote for Mc rocky and bullwinkle is a wasted vote.Obama is the clear choice. btw spoken like a true racist gary.

October 29, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. lisa tx

gary you are a idiot.

October 29, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

Now the far-right-lies-hate-fear-and-division mongers of the Republican party are out with their ACCUSATIONS.

Since when do we judge and condemn someone because they "know" someone?

What about McCain and the Keating 5, is McCain a criminal because his friends went to jail for stealing millions?

How about Todd Palin a member of the SECESSIONIST PARTY OF ALASKA? Todd Palin was a member of the Alaska Independent party from 1994-2004!

And Gov. Palin spoke at their convention!

YOU ACCUSE AND CONDEMN, but you do not look at your own candidates sins!

GOOGLE: Alaska Independent Party to find out ALL about the Palins!

October 29, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  20. McKeating5

Happy Days are Here Again...

The Connecticut Campaign was just Diss-Connected from McSane :D

Next: The H.Q. in ARIZONA :P McSame has only a 1pt lead in his Own State .

OMG !
    How Sweet it is..!! :)

October 29, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  21. Pat

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM ACORN:

VOTE AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN — WE'RE HERE TO HELP!

October 29, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  22. Denise Groves

Then they should not vote for McCain. he cares noting about people like us. He is using Joe The Plumber to appear as though he cares.

October 29, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  23. Central Scruitinizer

GARY You certainly are expressive , arent you? I bet you are a real hoot to hang out with. Take your lithium and a nice cold shower. Oh and try not to crack your molars while you grit your teeth watching OBAMA SLAUGHTER MCCAIN ON E -DAY!!!!!!

October 29, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. bob

I says leave comment but CNN keeps blocking. They must really be into Mc same very heavily. Keep throwing stones Mcpalin, obama is building a house with them. BTW gary put down the booze.

October 29, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. rob

I can't wait for the election to be over. The stories CNN runs makes me feel that we live in a third world country and we are all heading to soup kitchens. When Obama wins they and the rest of the liberal MSM wiil run stories of the hope that people have and how strong the American people are. It will make me feel better because even though Obama won't be in office untill Jan 20th and no programs will be in place, the world according to CNN news stories will be a better place.

Mark my words.