October 29th, 2008

New ACORN ad: Tell McCain, the GOP 'not this time'

ACORN''s new TV ad says 'not this time' to alleged voter suppression and intimidation.

(CNN) - Embattled community organizing group ACORN is taking the offensive with a new ad targeting Sen. John McCain and the Republican Party, accusing the GOP presidential nominee and his party of attempting to intimidate voters.

The new ad, entitled “Not This Time,” is shot in black-and-white and features an African-American man who ages before viewers’ eyes. “It happened to him in 1960, 1965, and again in 2000. He was intimidated so he wouldn’t vote,” an announcer says as a traditional Southern hymn plays. “Tell John McCain: not this time,” the announcer says as the ad ends, and the phone number of McCain’s Capitol Hill Senate office appears on screen.

“Senator McCain needs to instruct his operatives and supporters to cease and desist. Nothing is more important to the fabric of our democracy than protecting the rights of American voters,” said Steve Kest, ACORN’s executive director, at a Wednesday press conference where the ad was released.

In a statement issued Wednesday about lawsuits recently filed in New Mexico, Sean Cairncross, the Republican National Committee’s Chief Counsel, said the only voter suppression has been that directed at false voter registrations.

The McCain campaign also swiftly responded to the allegations of suppression in the new ad. “I am not sure how any allegation relating to what might have happened 48 years ago has any relevance to the McCain campaign,” former GOP senator John Danforth, the co-chair of the McCain campaign’s Honest and Open Election Committee, said on a conference call with reporters. “Our response is that any kind of intimidation or suppression is illegal, it’s reprehensible, it is condemned by the McCain campaign, it has been condemned specifically by Sen. McCain himself.”

ACORN says the new ad will air 48 times on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News Channel in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. The group said it is hoping to raise enough money to continue to air the ad through Election Day.

Filed under: ACORN • John McCain • Voter Problems
  1. Andrea, St Louis

Show the information based on McCain being responsible for a vehicular death back in 1964! How about that. Clean everybody's closet if we are going to go back and check out all the accusations!

October 29, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Lilly

Obama 08, yes we scam!

October 29, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. COLORADO

My wife and I Early Voted for Obama/Biden today! It was so easy, I don't know why anyone wants to wait until Nov 4th. Colorado is now a brilliant shade of light blue and is no longer a toss-up. Our 9 electoral votes are going to "CHANGE WE NEED!" Beautiful sunny day here in Denver, we couldn't have picked a better day to get out and vote. Even the birds are singing today.

October 29, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. USA

Why do Dems support dirty players? Acorn is a dirty player with ties to the Dem party. If Acorn was doing this for the Rep. party I wouldn't be supporting them, I would be asking that they remove any ties to the party... I guess that just shows the difference between Rep and Dem.

October 29, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Lucy

Too many stolen elections by the GOP. The last one was in Ohio in 2004. Another time the American people could have been empowered. Now, too many powerful people fighting to not let THIS election be stolen. I guess we can say this is McSame's Perfect Storm.
    It's OUR time.

O/B '08

October 29, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. mitch

great ad. everyone should vote.

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Joe of all Joes

“OBAMANATION = ABOMINATION!” –God

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Elle

Why is it that the media, CNN included have nothing good to say abt McCain but wow all the positive things abt Obama. Well let's see-they are totally liberal. I had been for Obama however, no more. Why did the Clintons say the Obama was going to play the race card all along? Why is it that Obama has hired lawyers to block is birth certificate? Too mnay ???? with Obama. Sure keep taking making my taxes go higher, and you know Obama will, and help support more welfare recipeints. America, be careful what you vote for.

October 29, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. McFailin

Look at what politic as usual has done to Palin – she was sweet and innocent just weeks ago when mccain first introduced her, but now lies are painted all over her face. You call that maverick?? What a shame!!!

October 29, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  10. Debbie

Excellent. It is unfortunate that ACORN has gotten such bad press this election due to a few renegade temp workers' actions. It's been blown all out of proportion and I am happy that ACORN is now on the offensive in this regard.

October 29, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. nitro

Well Mr. USA where were you in 2000 and 2004 when the elections was being stolen. Now that people are not going to stand for that type of operation then you have a problem with it. Its already been stated that the only way that it could be fraud is if someone showed up to vote and had fraudulent identifacation. But thats not going to stop you republicans from pressing a dead issue. The only one that got defrauded was ACORN because they paid for a service and did not receive it.

October 29, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. Dre in Indiana

Lilly...grow up.

There is no scam here, just dishonest registration workers. Mickey Mouse won't show up to vote, find another excuse GOPions. If anything, someone needs to be watching the election stealing reptilians.

October 29, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  13. jack

John McCain has fallen so far. Though I've always disagreed with his conservative position on most issues, I've always respected him because he seemed to be a man of honor, someone who deserved, and received, my respect. I honestly have now lost all of my respect for him and that is sad. It seems that going down in flames is all he knows how to do. Stop the win-at-all-costs politics John, and regain some dignity.

October 29, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  14. Elle

October 29, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

Right... McCain is going to lose by a landslide come Tuesday.

And I can't wait to rub it in all of your Republican faces come Tuesday.

WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! VOTE SMART... NOT SENILE!!!

October 29, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Not The One

CNN have you noticed that the comments are mostly pro Obama? You are now preaching to the choir. The congregation left about a month ago to join the church of Fox News. If you don’t believe me, check out how their comments have increased over the last month. Many congregants never believed that they would ever join, including me. We were tired of your misogyny against Hillary and now Sarah and we figured out that you are nothing but a propaganda machine for Obama. I skim the Ticker every once in a while to see if you have repented, but no such blessing. Most stories continue to be pro Obama/Biden or anti McCain/Palin. I believe this is also coincides with your rating slump.

All I ask is that you get back to reporting the news, all of it and fire some of your anchors and producers. At this point I only watch Lou Dobbs and I immediately change the channel when all bull, all bias Campbell Brown comes on, maybe you can start by firing her. Then you may get some of your viewers back.

What do you think will happen when the kool aid wears off of the Obamabots and they realize they were duped into voting for another fraud by the MSM? Better yet, where is your integrity as journalist? Where is your conscience? Have you no shame? You know in your heart that Obama should not be the President of the United States because of what you know, not what the public knows. You are keeping secrets that many of us who chose to do our homework know that you know, but you refuse to report it. My heart goes out to the millions of people that will be devastated and destroyed because you chose again not to do your job. Sort of like what you did when you propagandized the Iraq war. How many hundreds of thousands are now dead and devastated because you CHOSE not to do your job concerning the Iraq war? God has placed you in this position to do what is right and for such a time as this, if you do not; you will also fall as the New York Times is now falling. You have been charged with an important job, informing the public and asking the tough questions, and you have failed the American people miserably.

You may think that you are helping your children and future generations, but you are destroying them. Keep thinking it’s a game!!!

October 29, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. Sue in MI

Oh Dan,
    How can you overlook ethics violations, AIP affiliations THIS year, witch hunting pastors, infidelity to an injured spouse and your children, McCain and ACORN, McCain and Khafidi, McCain and vehicular homicide, Palin's "socialist Alaska" comments, Palin the millionaire pretending she's "one of you," need I go on? Seems to me every time McCain brings up an old, discounted Obama story, we find current things worse about him and the Barbie doll. Thus their amazing falling poll numbers, even, today, in Arizona.

October 29, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Bill in Ct.

As one one seen the story about the Colorado GOP guy that removed 30,000 voters from the list all Democratics and 67% of them black, his excuse was some didn't have their i's doted, some had their street address not capitalize, people how moved a year ago, just everything you can think of, now he's under indictment, gee I wonder why it's not all over the Tv, I only seen this story on CNN.

October 29, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. ccwalts

To all liberal Democrats and Obamanites....beware what you wished for. The big CHANGE that will happen to America when "that one" wins will be changing the name of the USA to Socialist Republic of America.

October 29, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. this one is for That One

This election is driving me nuts.....I'm even screwing up my comments!!!!! VOTE EARLY >>>VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN

October 29, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  21. JimZ

Either McCain and his campaign are ducking and dodging (a common tactic for the GOP) or they just. don't get it. Either way, it proves that they can't be trusted to lead

October 29, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. Cathy

Way to Go Acorn! Let John McNasty and his followers know that "Not this time!" We will not be denied!

Obama/Biden 2008!

October 29, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. malclave

Translation:

"Don't let anyone fool you into believing 'one man, one vote.' Every vote must count... whether it's legal or not. Vote Early. Vote Often. Vote ACORN."

"I'm Barack Obama, and this message is above my pay grade."

October 29, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  24. sari

To Sean from Canada:

Having just reelected Harper (albeit with a minority government) I don't think we Canadians are in a position to diss the candidates from any country.

October 29, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  25. Leigh

Awesome ad Acorn!
    Go home Palin and McCain. America doesn't want you in the WH.
    I hope Alaska gives the Palin woman a good hard look and boots her out of the Governor's office. I hope Arizona reconsiders who McCain really is and gives him his walking papers.
    They have run a disgusting campaign and intimidating voters is vile.

October 29, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |