October 30th, 2008

30-minute Obama ad shows campaign muscle

Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.
Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama's 30-minute TV ad, which ran simultaneously on broadcast and cable networks at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, is muscle-flexing that has little precedent, a campaign advertising expert said.

"It's evidence, if you needed any, that the Obama campaign has more money than there is ad time left to buy," said Evan Tracey, director of the Campaign Media Analysis Group. "This is flexing the muscles."

Tracey estimates that it will cost the campaign "in the $4 to 5 million range - at a minimum, $3.5 million."

But, he said, spending the money is a "no-brainer" for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

"The strategic brilliance of this for Obama is that he is going to consume about 24 hours of the news cycle," Tracey said. "It boxes [John] McCain in, takes the oxygen out of the room."

In the carefully produced infomercial, Obama laid out his plans for the economy and for bringing an end to the war in Iraq.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. No McCain-Palin

Congrat President Obama, I really enjoy the 30 min airtime yesterday. You are a true leader. We all love you and you deserve to be our next President. We are all proud of you. Keep running a possitive campaign and we will be with you all the way to the White House.

October 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Lyle

The silly Obamercial was just more of the same. I kept waiting for the “order in the next five minutes” countdown clock in the corner of the screen….order now and receive a !!!! Free Bamboo Streamer!!!!…just pay shipping and handling!

One thing is for sure, Mr. Obama loves to hear himself talk….and talk….and talk….and talk………………..

October 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. kimr

To the PEOPLE OF AMERICA
    Let the rest of the world be proud of you again
    Vote for honesty, integrity and most of all CHANGE
    Vote BARAK OBAMA
    His 30 minute ad was watched by milloins around the world, and I can't understand how anyone can still be undecided

October 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Karen

Obama has run a great campaign and has shown that he is progressive and running a campaign that isn't "traditional". He clearly thinks before he acts and surrounds himself with people who are competant. A campaign will reveal much about how the person will govern.

October 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  5. Bill-PA

The special was pure brilliance on the part of Sen. Obama's campaign. He used the opportunity to highlight American familes and the problems they are facing to let us know that he has not forgotten what this campaign is truly about. Sen. Obama has totally changed the face of how presidential campaigns are conducted. Well done!

October 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. TJ Johnson

Obama is so sickly and puny, he doesn't have a muscle to show. He looks like a skeleton already; probably smells like that, too.

October 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. pat C.

eat your heart out john mccain. we the people that voted for obama and yes the hillary voters are the ones giving money to obama. you can mouth off all you want to about where the money is coming from but WE the supporters know where IT IS COMING FROM.....WE ARE DONATING TO MAKE SURE HE BEATS THE PANTS OFF YOU AND SARAH WHAT'S HER NAME!!!!!

October 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Tanya

We'll be there for you Obama! – Nov. 4th. I don't care how long those lines are.....I will vote!!!! Let's get this show on the road people. The time is now! Obama 08

October 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. Zagazaw

An unqualify plumber, an unqualify VP, both pick by an unqualify and unfit Candidate.

October 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  10. Dina Phila., Pa

This was a brilliant move for Barack Obama. At this point, I don't believe that there really are any undecided voters out there. They just do not want to say who they a voting for. After 8 years of George W. Bush, there is no way, under any circumstances, I would ever vote for John McCain! I have watched this race for 21 months; John McCain has not been able to convince me that he is not apart of the Bush machine. He has not given us his plans for the economy and how we could get out of this mess. He said out of his own mouth that he doesn't understand economics, and then he went out and made the worst decision with selecting Sarah Palin for his VP, someone who really does not understand the economy, foreign policy, or big government! What an idiot! He has flipped flopped so many times; it has been a crazy ride for him and anyone else that has watched him! John McCain keeps crying about how much money Barack has and is spending, well, I have been donating to Obama's campaign since the primaries, and I am happy with the way he has put our contributions to good use. He is not wasting our money! This is what we donated our money for, to help him win this election! So far, so good! Please stop talking about how much money his campaign has, we gave him this money because we believe that he is the best person to change this country and put us back on the right track!

October 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. LS, Austin, Texas

Obama's ad was very touching. Obama is a good man.

I am so glad I donated to the Obama's campaign throughout this election. I feel my money was spent very well – especially on last nights ad – very well done.

Already voted for the 'Smart Team – Obama/Biden' – Woohoo!!

October 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. Patricia Lewis

Great speech I was so into it, I turned my cell phone off . Barack Obama knows how to connect with Americans. I stood in line for 6hours waiting to vote the other day after working for 12 hours. It was 1:00 a.m. when I got home, Believe me it was well worth it.

October 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. Betty

Barbara, my friend in NC – In NY we can't vote early unfortunately. But don't worry it's a solid Obama state and my vote WILL count on Nov 4!!

October 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. Micky Galt

For decades the reps have outspent the dems, how does it feel the other way.

October 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. JONNA

Oh yes, I love Obama's campaign funding strategy. He tells McCain that he will go with public funding if he does, and McCain falls for it. That was like taking a kid to the candy store.

October 30, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. Dianne

Brilliant and very well done, Barack Obama!

It will be refreshing to have a President that America can look to for vision, trust, brillance and a President who truly cares.

October 30, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  17. JuTon

What a lot of you John McCain/Sarah Palin fans don't understand is that the money that was donated to him HAS to be spent for campaign purposes. I would be upset if Obama took my money and used it for other purposes (i.e. to buy clothes for the V.P.) other than to do what he needs to do to win the election. I feel that the money I donated was well spent and I will continue to support him in the future. I loved the ad!!! It was very emotional because it showed the problems that many Americans regardless of race, creed or color are going through. He also showed how he is an American and human just like the rest of us. I really saw a new more personal side of Barack in this ad! I was hoping that he didnt mention McCain and he didnt and I was very proud of that!

Go Obama/Biden!!!!! 5 days til the finish!!!

October 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Anita - Oceanside, CA

I loved it the dialog with the people.
    It was brilliant.
    Perfectly done.

Bravo

October 30, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  19. AM

If you're undecided at this point you're probably not sure who's going to win the World Series in 2008 !!

Obama/Biden/Phillies '08

October 30, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  20. nikki

I have never donated to a campaign, but I did this time, and my money was well spent!

October 30, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. Darrell

Obamas broken promise on campaign finance that affored him this air time was genius.Since the republicans will lie,steal, and cheat their way to an election Obama had the gonads to make a very intellegent decision in the best interest of the party and more importantly America.This is one of the best Executive decisions made in the last eight years.You want to call him on breaking a promise go ahead.This proves that he knows how to make the right decisions, even it means that he wont win miss congeniality.Smartest decisions are not always going to get you a pat on the back from the other side, but this could end up being one of the smartest and well thought out political decisions made, and for the good of all Americans

October 30, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  22. Bee

To all of the people complaining about all of the money Senator Obama spent on this commercial–he has the money, why not spend it. His campaign is not going into debt like our ecomony (or like Hilary's campaign). The money was donated for his campaign and that's the way it's being used. Get over it. If he used it any other way it would be bribery (or worse *gasp* SOCIALISM).

October 30, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |