October 30th, 2008

30-minute Obama ad shows campaign muscle

Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.
Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama's 30-minute TV ad, which ran simultaneously on broadcast and cable networks at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, is muscle-flexing that has little precedent, a campaign advertising expert said.

"It's evidence, if you needed any, that the Obama campaign has more money than there is ad time left to buy," said Evan Tracey, director of the Campaign Media Analysis Group. "This is flexing the muscles."

Tracey estimates that it will cost the campaign "in the $4 to 5 million range - at a minimum, $3.5 million."

But, he said, spending the money is a "no-brainer" for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

"The strategic brilliance of this for Obama is that he is going to consume about 24 hours of the news cycle," Tracey said. "It boxes [John] McCain in, takes the oxygen out of the room."

In the carefully produced infomercial, Obama laid out his plans for the economy and for bringing an end to the war in Iraq.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Larry-Detroit, Mi

don't be silly the choice is obvious, this man really cares about the people

October 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Gayle

It was amazing.

October 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Amy from MIchigan

It is truly sad that a good man like Senator Obama has to spend money like this just to get the truth out about himself and his campaign. The Republicans have been working overtime to smear and discredit him, and I am proud that because of contributors like me, Obama can fight back!

I've received false and slanderous emails about the Obamas throughout this entire campaign, including 2 more this week, and every time time I do, I send more money to Senator Obama's campaign.

Fear and smear won't work this time, and if it takes every penny in my pocket, the Republican party will go down in shame.

October 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. Dave

All he did was speak the truth! This man is the real deal!

Oabma/Biden 08/12!!!!

October 30, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. kevin

To "don't be an Obamabot,"

Fine, can we be the Obamatronics? How about Obamaniacs?

October 30, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. Commonwealth of Virginia

On top of the ad, Sen. Obama And Bill Clinton tore the house down in Central Florida last night.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 30, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. Denise Groves

This was a brillant move! He g ot his message out to millions! Everytime Obama appears on TV, he gets a bump in the polls! So the race tightening will erode as I believe Obama will still be ahead

8. CanIcallyouJoe

I thought this program was very well put together and above all else POSITIVE.

There is so much negative campaigning by his rivals, and even his campaign has taken swipes at McCain from time to time. So, to drop all that and have a half hour dedicated to Americans having normal American lives that shows how his policies will improve their lives without bashing anyone, not even his rival, just shows his character.

It filled me with pride to be an American; a feeling I have not had since last decade.

Missourian for Obama/Biden '08.

9. Rick the worker

If Obama was a man of his word, he would not have all this money to buy the election with. He lies about his past, he lies about how he will finance his election, he lies about his economic plan and he lies about his tax breaks. He is a man who lies when he opens his mouth. I am voting for an American Hero, a man who dedicated his life to this country, I am voting for John McCain, the only one who is straight forward.

10. Sebastian, Baton Rouge, LA

It's not a matter of muscle, it's the age old adage that the minority underdog has to far exceed his majority counterpart to even level the playing field. Simple as that.

In order to win, as the first minority POTUS, it takes an ability to fundraise better and a willingness to compete at a higher level. That competition includes putting out better ads, more ads and dominating the conduits of information in order to counteract the rebuttals of your opponent.

After this election, it won't require nearly as much in terms of resource and effort after the nation sees the competence and success of their Commander-In-Chief.

11. Dave

Oh, by the way, I am PROUD to be an ObamaBOT! Better than being a hard headed Republican that CAN'T think outside the box!

12. Smiley from Conyers, GA

Simply brilliant!

13. wow

@Victor, you are an illiterate. Buying ad time does not pay for the presidency. In America it might though as 20 percent of the people still think that he is from Kenya and he is a muslim. He has to spend that much money because of ignorant people who are constantly brainwashed by the unrighteous right

14. Alison B

It was an excellent use of his resource, an excellent use of airtime cause it got the point.

Way to go you are just continue to show us that you are indeed the BEST, MOST CAPABLE, MOST HONEST, ONE WITH INTEGRITY for the job.

November 4 CHANGE WE CAN ALL BELIEVE IN YES WE CAN

OBAMA/BIDEN ALL DA WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE - OH HELL YEAH!!!!

October 30, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  15. Free my fries! Heal this country!

Barry the bomber over Joe the plonker anytime! Hope versus hate.

16. pam Eugene OR

I saw it and it was brilliant! I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

17. Alberta

CNN - stop calling the Ad and infomercial. It was a campaign ad. There was no infomercial nature about the ad. Calling it infomercial trivializes the content of the of the ad, makes it negative and makes CNN seem negative.

18. Veteran for McCain

I think it's ridiculous. Had he stuck to his promise that he not only made to McCain, but that he mentioned during a debate with Hillary then he wouldn't have this money to begin with. I think this commercial will hurt him more than it helps. It will show that a man who can't keep his word on the smallest of agreements probably shouldn't be trusted with bigger decisions.

19. Obama not ready to lead

The infomercial convinced me to buy the Ginsu steak knives!!

Keep trying to buy the election.

Keep lying to America like you lied about public financing. You even signed that one Messiah Obama

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  20. JUANITA

THAT ADVERTISEMENT DEFINATELY SPOKE TO ME AND MILLIONS!!IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. IF YOUR MIND IS NOT MADE UP BY NOW, "THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE CLINCHER!!!!!!! "HE IS DEFINETLY "THE ONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  21. yvonne

i was very impressed. i had my mind made up already. but seeing that he was human and how much interaction he had with us, the voters. positive thinking gets positive results! Obama/Biden '08

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  22. Ed, Santa Fe NM

BRAVO

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  23. Dave

Obama = inspiring
    McCain = depressing

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  24. Rachael

I actually tried to watch the ad, or infomercial, and couldn't. It was slick and it was nicely edited. That doesn't sell me. I'm much more concerned about the lack of information about his past, including people and his more than liberal voting record. He hasn't been around long enough to prove himself to take the top seat in the country and what I have found out, I don't like. A 30 minute commercial doesn't change that.

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  25. Dave G, Minneapolis

Obama can't buy my vote with his infomercial.

I'm still voting for BOB BARR!!!

Both McCain and Obama are dangerous for supporting the Bailout and claiming that it is necessary because some banks were "too big to fail". Now the car makers are asking for handouts and Northwest and Delta have merged...are THEY too big to fail? and when their profits drop, McCain and Obama will bail them out too?!!!!???!!?!?!?!

This must stop! America, wake up, you are spending your social security, your children's social security and grandchildren's on bailing out current companies.

Only Bob Barr will restore sanity and smaller government.

October 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |