October 30th, 2008

30-minute Obama ad shows campaign muscle

Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.
Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama's 30-minute TV ad, which ran simultaneously on broadcast and cable networks at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, is muscle-flexing that has little precedent, a campaign advertising expert said.

"It's evidence, if you needed any, that the Obama campaign has more money than there is ad time left to buy," said Evan Tracey, director of the Campaign Media Analysis Group. "This is flexing the muscles."

Tracey estimates that it will cost the campaign "in the $4 to 5 million range - at a minimum, $3.5 million."

But, he said, spending the money is a "no-brainer" for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

"The strategic brilliance of this for Obama is that he is going to consume about 24 hours of the news cycle," Tracey said. "It boxes [John] McCain in, takes the oxygen out of the room."

In the carefully produced infomercial, Obama laid out his plans for the economy and for bringing an end to the war in Iraq.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Larry, Hazleton, Pa

Mr Obama is without a doubt the best choice for President – he is calm, cool and collected. He displays in manner a true leaders demeanor. The last thing we want at this time in history is a man at the helm of ship in hurricane weather to be "spitting" in the wind. I ask you as one american to another vote for OBAMA/BIDEN on Nov 4.

October 30, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. Impressed

The ad was absolutely brilliant. It just reinforced why he has my vote. The fact he was able to make such an impact without mentioning McCain's name once, speaks volumes for him

Even if he is unable to pull off everything that he says he wants to do in office, he has a plan for the future. Something that Senator McCain clearly does not have. And frankly the idea of a unified country seems so much more attractive to me than the constant division that the McCain camp has been peddling the past couple of months.

October 30, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  3. Proud To Be An American

30 minutes and not one ill word about McCain ... only a discussion abut what his detailed steps are.

Try that GOP ... we are tired of your gimmicks too fool, obfuscate and mislead the public.

Here ended the lesson.

October 30, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. JB

Noah, your facts are completely wrong. People, regardless of political affiliation, please read plans and understand the facts before you spout out on discussion boards. Simply spitting out what your hear your favorite pundit saying without getting the facts yourself makes you look ignorant.

October 30, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  5. WhiteGuy last minute addition to the OBAMA camp

I have got to hand it to the OBAMA guys...
    They finally got me. I expected some defensive info and attacks but got none of that. The last part especially, brought chills to my skin.
    If this man is what he says, we will be ok. Still skeptical... but
    COME TUESDAY... I WILL BE VOTING FOR OBAMA.

October 30, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  6. Susan

It was nice to see a candidate for the presidency speak in positive and specific terms of the changes he would make. It was a half hour break from the mud slinging. And what does the used-to-be honor campaigner John McCain do? Let's all of us who would believe in change and have the audacity to hope for a better day -he let's all of those people know that he thinks those people are fools who are decieved by his opponents. Guess you have to throw garbage at people and choose an idiot for your running mate to be the credible candidate who would continue the believeable plans for no change and no hope.

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  7. MD

Excellent message. Positive, hopeful, honest and on point. I so glad I get to vote for the SMART GUY this time. I don't know about anyone else but I am sooooo tired of DUMB GUYS running things I could just ....

"Obama/Biden 08"

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  8. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Note to bj. I was very happy to have him 'piss away' some of the money I donated to the Obama campaign. I gave the money freely for him to use as he sees fit to become elected. And my total donations for the entire year are around $100, so I'm not a big-money person by any means.

If it wasn't your money, what do you have to complain about?

I've already voted Obama/Bide. VOTE!!

I WILL NOT BE RULED BY FEAR AND DOUBT!

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  9. Roger K.

How idiotic that there are still people trying to question where he was born. Do you know how dumb that makes you sound? So baby Barack Obama as an infant planned to fake his birth location. Give it a break. See this is why some of you who are swallowing all of these tall tales will then go out and try to witness about Christ. But since you practiced no discernment here you will not be believed.

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. MIKE chicago

To all supporters of both sides!!!
    Last night i saw the greatest Ad of this campaign...
    Not because of the substance but because for straight up 30 mins i didnt HEAR anything about the opponent.
    Its overwhelmingly suprising.
    I waited to hear Sen Obama say sometheing negative about Sen Jmac...He didnt...
    Just like the last debate..Sen Obama wa given a clear opportunity to pull down Gov Palin he didnt he respected her...
    If America doesnt see any leadership quality in him...I dont know what they are lookig for then.

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. Frank G

Wait, maybe today McCain will find the solution through his new advisor:
    JOE THE DUMBER

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  12. Kathy

I thought his ad was very moving... and powerful. Undecideds should really take a second look now.

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Matt in Michigan

Yes America, go back to sleep, your new masters are in control. Big brother will take care of everything for you, no need to think for yourselves, follow blindly, we have it all under control and will give you everything you need......or at least everything WE think you need.

Looking at the polls it is apparent that brainwashing techniques have improved since Germany in the 1930's and Russia during the cold war.

October 30, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  14. Richard

Barack’s info message over the networks also served to reach the states and areas of the nations that he has not visited very much during the campaign. North Dakota, Montana, Georgia are getting closer. This might help to put Obama over the top in those states

October 30, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. VJ

This is the face of the new generation of presidents to come! This generation can be proud of their accomplishment when Obama is elected president of this great country. Continue to vote, and don't let anyone or anything stop you. God Bless America!

October 30, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. Tony, NC

All paid for by the dishonest dough of a broken campaign promise. But hey, who cares about honesty anymore...

October 30, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  17. AZ Demo

This was more than a infomercial. Anyone watching it that is still on the fence has been shown exactly what he stands for and what he will try to do. BTW, Arizona is a statisctical dead heat. Many of us have been working hard to get the vote out here in Arizona and it is working. I am looking forward to election day to see Arizona in the blue column.

October 30, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  18. Ken in NC

I contributed $845.00 to the campaign and I approve this message!

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. conny

That was great! God Bless America and thanks President Obama

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. S. Boatman

Meanwhile, Mccain Talks About Veto Everything So We Will Know There Names And He Will Make Them Famous!

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. Quietcool

I think Obama is good for this Job b/c he has never since day one come out of character in which we saw Mccain do so on different occasions. He is always trying to make side jokes when we the people arent looking for jokes but solutions. As a person who has never voted I will be there next week to cast my vote. Its funny b/c up until now I never even watched a debate but was happy and thrilled to watch and educate myself on whats happening. I think God is the true answer for us all but since we are here on earth Its Obama who is for us. Thats me though. Thank you CNN for letting me share my opinion.

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. Shy

This mayy not get printed but if does here goes.
    I think it is unfair to cross examine the presentation when you refuse to air the 30 minute segment. I was really surprise, shocked and thought that is was an undue fairness to Obama after you have Larry King asking dumbie John McCain questions he did not answer.

People what have McCain said that would prove he is fit to lead this country. Obama Obama, Joe the Plumber, Tito the Builder, Ayers, Wright, Khadi and etc. Now this is a man that don't have a plan and don't plan to get one.

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  23. john for OBAMA

GET ON THE PHONES OBAMA NATION!! IT AINT OVER YET

OBAMA 08/12

October 30, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Jeffry

Let's all hold hands and weep at the wonderful hope for change.

Or, let's make change. True, real, everlasting change. Let's stop spending our future on bank bailouts, car bailouts, and more. When everyone is promised a handout from a candidate, many will vote for that candidate.

Others, will see that this house of cards cannot last. Companies that can't make products should not be supported by the government. Obama and McCain's policies and current actions will hammer America into the ground.

Vote Bob Barr, Libertarian. http://www.lp.org