October 30th, 2008

30-minute Obama ad shows campaign muscle

Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.
Sen. Barack Obama aired a 30-minute campaign ad Wednesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama's 30-minute TV ad, which ran simultaneously on broadcast and cable networks at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, is muscle-flexing that has little precedent, a campaign advertising expert said.

"It's evidence, if you needed any, that the Obama campaign has more money than there is ad time left to buy," said Evan Tracey, director of the Campaign Media Analysis Group. "This is flexing the muscles."

Tracey estimates that it will cost the campaign "in the $4 to 5 million range - at a minimum, $3.5 million."

But, he said, spending the money is a "no-brainer" for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

"The strategic brilliance of this for Obama is that he is going to consume about 24 hours of the news cycle," Tracey said. "It boxes [John] McCain in, takes the oxygen out of the room."

In the carefully produced infomercial, Obama laid out his plans for the economy and for bringing an end to the war in Iraq.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sharon

I am glad I donated to him. It was worth it.
    I voted for the person that won for president every time I voted since 1984. I am 49 yeawrs old. ( some republicans and some democrats) I am an independent voter that voted for Bushes and Clintons, and this time I am voting for Barach.
    I think my streak will continue and I think Palin sealed it.

October 30, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Uncle Fester

PoliticoPundit-
    Let's talk about Cindy McCain's half sisters that she disinherited, shall we? For every finger that you point, you have five pointing back.

you are the one that is blind

October 30, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. Don

That is right Obama, spend someone else's money. You seem to be enjoying that and now you want to SPREAD THE WEALTH. Why don't you suppose the Clinton's are now campaining for Obama? Go figure, he is going to help Hillary pay off her dept.

October 30, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  4. Sherry for Obama

Kim and Mary....The money Obama spent was from supporters to his campaign. The money is to help get his message out and Obama did that brilliantly.
    As to having that money help pay the national debt.....Think about it...we wouldnt have such a large debt if we had not invaded Iraq , we are spending 10 billion a month there. Admit it....the republicans have torn our country down the last 8 years.
    Obama will help lift this nation up and bring respect back to the U.S.A.

October 30, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  5. hometowndemocrat

The republicans are just sore that McCain didn't have the money to do this!
    Also, have you ever noticed that anyone outside of the country that posts here is always for Obama? I've not seen one for McCain. Keeping in mind that the rest of the world has a lot riding on the US economy I find this encouraging. Of course, they all thought the US had gone completely insane when Bush was re-elected. Can't say I disagreed with them!
    Can't wait for the global cheer that will go up next Tuesday!

October 30, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. Corey, Maryland

It was an awesome ad that was 100% positive and 100% true. I cant wait until he wins on Tuesday!!

Obama Biden 2008

October 30, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  7. Mari

Obama has had a brilliant campaign. He is a real team player surrounds himself with other intelligent people. I can only imagine what type of cabinet he will put together. We need to look outside of our political affiliation and race and vote for the best candidate. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and he is our chance of fixing the messes our country has gotten into. Obama/Biden-we love you!

October 30, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. Joan , Ontario

The TV spot was even better than I had anticipated. It centred on some real families and issues that they are confronting. He offered solutions and support. It was brilliantly done and was very moving at times. It should have been uplifting for all Americans not just Democrats. It was another example of how the Obama campaign has been thoughtfully and well run. If he runs your country like he has run his campaign, the Free World is finally in good hands again.

October 30, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Mahera Rahman

Besides being in favor of Obama in respect to key issues, I am greatly inspired by Obama’s story and his mother raising him as a single mother at a time in the society when raising a bi- racial child was not easy. I share a connection with his mother and maternal grandparents for devoting themselves to his upbringing, and providing him the environment and the balance that a child in non- broken happy family couldn’t perhaps have had. A salute to Obama's mother and maternal grand parents!

October 30, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Nikole-Informed Voter

@ BJ-Using campaign money on a campaign ad is not "pissing" anything away. Spending campaign money on a wardrobe is. And if you did not donate, you have no right to cmplain.

October 30, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Ms. B - Florida/DEMOCRAT

I didn't get to see the AD, but I heard a lot of positive feedback about the AD. I am a Democrat and I contributed $900.00 to the campaign and if I had more I WOULD OF CONTRIBUTED MORE!

I VOTE OBAMA 2008! AND PROUD OF IT!

October 30, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. Trysh in Los Angeles

Mary....if you are supporting McCain, then I would think that you wouldn't openly ask those with money to REDISTRIBUTE their wealth to those of you who NEED HELP. I thought you all said that expecting the HAVES to help others was SOCIALISM. See the natural hypocracy of being a conservative? You all clearly disagree for the sake of disagreeing. You know that giving a break to those in the middle is not socialism, but common sense.

October 30, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. Melissa from NC

From "bj" – "This is the guy who says he is going to be fiscally responsible?
    He pisses away $4 Million of other peoples money in half an hour to act like he's already president. My vote already went for McCain and I'm proud of it."

You obviously didn't watch, or you'd know he wasn't acting like he was already President. He was asking for our votes and for our commitment to working TOGETHER to turn our country around.

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  14. Mahera Rahman

Besides being in favor of Obama in respect to key issues, I am greatly inspired by Obama’s story and his mother raising him as a single mother at a time in the society when raising a bi- racial child was not easy. I share a connection with his mother and maternal grandparents for devoting themselves to his upbringing, and providing him the environment and the balance that a child in non- broken happy family couldn’t perhaps have had. A salute to Obama's mother and maternal grandparents!

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. True Blue Ohio

Once again McCain got it wrong. He said the 30 minute Barack-omercial was evidence of his celebrity staus. During the commercial, we saw the heart and soul of America. We saw families, people who are struggling to survive. It made me a little emotional to watch that. It's not about race, Democrat, Republican ,Liberal, or Conservative. It's about humanity, the common denominator that is greater than the little things that seek to divide us.

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. John in KY

Great information on this 30min of airtime!
    GREAT JOB OBAMA!! (OUR NEXT PRESIDENT}

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Dems in 08

Obama spent his money on 30 minutes that will win this campaign.
    McCain/Palin spent their money on dressing Palin up and trying to win the campaign on her looks alone – It's obvious – Palin has nothing more to offer than her looks.

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Johnny

Knowing that Joe the Plumber is not a real plumber, who owes back taxes, looking for a book deal and a record contract before the election is over, McCain still befriends with the guy.

POOR JUDEGEMENT ON McCAIN' S PART!!

October 30, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. this one is for That One

I haven't been this moved since JFK was a candidate. I had tears in my eyes. An Obama Presidency could be parlayed into hope for troubled youth; along with redeeming America in the eyes of the world.

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO SEN. OBAMA, WE HAVE TO....... $50 A MONTH. I WISH WE COULD GIVE A MILLION!

I loved his ad last night, we watched on MSNBC. At the risk, of not having my comment posted, I need to say once more how disappointed I am with CNN.

Last night, Larry King had McCain on for one hour, FREE, and then at 10pm his show was rerun, so TWO HOURS OF MCCAIN ........FREE!

We have sadly, watched as CNN has slanted to the RIGHT! For years, we have been faithful CNN fans, but now we turn to MSNBC, which seems to be the LAST progressive station!

My husband and I were delighted that the money we have donated to Sen. Obama has been used wisely! And for such an awesome campaign!

BRAVO SEN. OBAMA..........& MAY GOD PROTECT & BLESS YOU,SIR!

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. European guy resides in VA

To all McCain & Palin Supporters – Part II

I understand the fact that some of you like to relate to the candidates. You appreciate your candidates' "folksy" way of speaking and so you can say, he/she is one of us, he is like my uncle, she is just like my cousin, practically my next door neighbour and he/she represents American people so you can feel better about yourselves.
    Well ....if being a president of the most powerful country in the world is such an easy task, why do not you nominate your cousin, your uncle, your next door neighbour?
    Being a president of a country and to a nation, must require being the best of the best among the country's finest so the country can be well represented and at the same time in touch with the citizens and control their pulses continuously to understand their needs and expectations.
    It's quite clear that being a hockey mom with little to no political knowledge and a governor of a state which has a smaller population than any major cities in the U.S. should not qualify anyone to be the potential president of any nation
    Please do not degrade the position of U.S. president.
    Being "folksy" may work on the campaign trails but in an international arena only open diplomacy, intelligent strategies that are flexible enough to accommodate ever changing circumstances and respect to one and other count, folksy way of speaking, dull, arrogant and pushy strategies count for nothing. If they did U.S would have more allies in the world

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. slickingdom

It was an excellent program to watch and very touching. Barack just
    reaffirmed what he intends to do as President of the United States of America. I was appalled to see that right after Barack's campaign ad,
    McCain/Joe-the-plumber ticket took another scumbag/slanderous/cheap
    shot at Barack Obama. WHAT A LOSER John McCain IS !!!

Obama/Biden – '08

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Proud to be American

Obama message was awesome.... I as a Proud American felt like yes we will have another leader in my time that will fight for the average American... that is Change I can believe in!

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Jeremy

Dear Mary,

Why don't you complain to Bush and his administration for the financial difficulties you are struggling through? Why not ask him why he spent BILLIONS on the war and the bailout to no avail of the American people?

Misdirection of blame is typical and rampant. So sad.

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. GA voter

Three things about this ad:
    1. The ad did not mention Sen. McCain or Gov. Palin or Pres. Bush even once.
    2. The ad was necessary because republican convention was after democratic convention and so the republicans had the last word on "Who is Barack Obama?" at a national stage. That is why this was necessary for the Obama campaign.
    3. The transition from 28 minutes recorded TV ad to a 2 minute live rally in Florida was absolutely amazing. It had to be perfectly managed to make this transition work and they absolutely nailed it...

October 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |