October 30th, 2008

As polls tighten, the campaign arrives in McCain's home state

McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.
McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.

(CNN) – Democrats are making a late play for Arizona as new polls show home-state Senator John McCain with a shrinking single-digit edge over Barack Obama.

A CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll released this week suggested McCain holds a 53 percent to 46 percent advantage. Other new surveys have indicated an even tighter race.

Earlier this week, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee paid for negative robo-calls in the state, telling voters Obama’s election “invites a major international crisis he will be unprepared to handle alone.

“If Democrats win full control of government, they will want to give civil rights to terrorists and talk unconditionally to dictators and state sponsors of terror. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the experience and judgment to lead America,” said the calls.

MoveOn.org said Thursday it was launching its ‘Obamacan’ ad statewide on broadcast and cable in response. The ad features a life-long Republican who supports Obama.

The Obama campaign sent its supporters in the state a message from national field director Jon Carson calling for volunteers, and pointing to reports McCain was "struggling in his own backyard."

“Supporters like you have put us within striking distance. Now it's time to pull off what no one expected,” said Carson.

The fresh effort forces the Arizona senator to direct late-campaign spending to his home state. Democratic officials - who say the state would likely have gone blue if McCain were not on the ballot - concede it's unlikely Obama will beat the Arizona senator there. But they say the move signals their confidence is more than symbolic - Democrats can afford to keep Arizona volunteers in their home state in the race's final days this cycle instead of directing them to neighboring New Mexico and Nevada, perennial battlegrounds.

Filed under: Arizona • Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • John McCain
  1. Pat

Winnie Hussein . . . in Montana
    -------–
    Your psudonym says it all - LOSER!

October 31, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  2. Hankers

McCain "“If Democrats win full control of government, they will want to give civil rights to terrorists and talk unconditionally to dictators and state sponsors of terror. " AND MCCAIN WOULD DO WHAT? WAGE MORE WARS? NO THANKS!

October 31, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  3. Ben in Dallas

Im confused your own polling on the Electorial College map shows the gap widening in state by state polls.

October 31, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  4. captain cucamonga

I can’t believe American citizens will not use their heads to put two and two together. Where is Barrack Obama getting all of this money for advertisements? Don’t be scared people, the Wall Street melt down is a magic trick to put us in fear to vote for Barrack Obama. Wall Street is greasing Bill Clinton’s palm also for his money shot Endorsement of B.O.. The Wall Street meltdown happened in a timely manner before the election. Wall Street has robbed American citizens purposely to sway an election.

October 31, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  5. Rashid Khalidi

Bill Ayers has me proud of my country for the first time in my adult life.

October 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  6. jason, tx

It's really funny that he has to spend time in Arizona. HAHA. Sounds like the straight talk express has popped its last wheel.

October 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  7. Pat

George October 30th, 2008 6:19 pm ET

AMEN AMEN AMEN

People are starting to WAKE UP !!!
    --------

And it's definitely NOT Obama!

October 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  8. Charlotte LaBorde

I am sick to death of the self-proclaimed diva! She is a true narcissist – it began with me, it is about me, and it will always be about me. She is very, very scary, and the only place she belongs in the spotlight is in a sitcom or as a game show hostess. It is unbelievable to what depths American has sunk if this is the best vp candidate the republicans can get. America, we do need a change!

October 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  9. NOTSO

What do have on staff nothing but Obaaamabots?

October 31, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  10. mike

It would be very hard not to enjoy it if McCain lost his home state. Ordinarily, I might feel a bit bad for the old guy. However, the way he and Palin have tried to trash Obama has been disgraceful. So I say he deserves every loss he gets.

October 31, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  11. James -Mesa

I would be very surprised if Obama won. There are way too many Conservative Republicans. Democrats from here are just wasting their time here.

October 31, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  12. Vet4McCain

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. JFK

What happened to the dems? Now all I hear is gimme my pie

October 31, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  13. concerned coloradan

If enough people used their brains, Obama would turn every state blue.

October 31, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  14. tina

it concerns me when i see mccain as a child who rolls his eyes and his eyebrows go up when he does not have his way or hear what he wants to hear. he reminds me of my grandchildren who are both 2 years old. if i wanted them to lead me now at their age i would vote for mccain. palin needs to stop her flirting with the winking of the eyes and the smacking of the lips, that will not get jobs or homes back for us in usa. oh yeah what happen to 6 pack joe?

October 31, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  15. Jeanne H.

Yeah, Mr. McCain. Obama will give this country to the terrorists, because ONLY you and extremists like Palin love this country, Nobody else, right??? I don't know WHO gave you the right to have the monopoly on love for this country. You are just a big joke, and you deserve to lose Arizona.

October 31, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  16. Joseph

The double standard on how Mccain has lived his life compared to obama is truly depressing, he left his first wife when she was no longer attractive for a wealthy bimbo, even after she took care of his kids while he was a POW. Imagine if barack did such a thing imagine if he defended a crook in the senate? imagine if he actualluy was proud of criminal like gordon liddy? the fact that such an amazing candidate is not consistently polling well over 15% nationally with 400+ projected EVs says something about how scared and rabid the bush administration has made america, i dont think they will be so lucky in 2012 after obama has proved himself, the muslim/ayers/socialist nonsense will not apply and they will actually have to debate issues rather than fabricated smears.

October 31, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  17. AZLumberjack

Hey y'all. In Phoenix right now watching the Suns game, like most good Phoenicians., also about half a mile from McCain's old place on Central and Glendale. I think McCain will still probably win AZ, but it's simply going to be much, much closer than expected. He'll probably win 52% – 48%, or around there. The problem for the Republicans in this state is that they tend to cater to the rural voters, and in Arizona, the urban dwelling, especially Phoenix, have been just exploding in the past 10-15 years. Now the East Valley is a part of that growth, and they're generally Republican. But for the rest, it's probably more votes for the Dems. Phoenix as a whole tends to be mixed.

McCain will win most of the middle state and southern rural areas. Obama will probably win most of the urban areas as well as the rural northern areas of the state, and we'll see. If Obama wins Arizona, I'll be surprised, but not shocked. I want Obama to win, but as an Arizonan, I'm not promising anything! :)

Take care everyone!

October 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  18. Cathy, Peoria AZ

I received the third robocall from the McCain campaign today. It was despicable. I then called Senator McCains office requesting in as nice a way as I could muster not to call me again. John McCain need not look further than himself when he loses on 11/4. The constant negativity and choosing Sarah Palin were his undoing. Once he stooped to the gutter tatics similar to what was done to him in 2000, he lost. But he will lose more than the election, he will have lost his honor and the respect of others. Senator McCain, was it worth it?

October 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  19. Johio

HEY "WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW"

Maybe you should learn to spell and write a coherent sentence before you question if someone else knows how to read. Who looks stupid now?

October 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  20. Chris

I live in AZ. I don't know of anyone voting for McCain either. He's done absolutely nothing for AZ and he's proud of it. His remarks on "cutting out the pork" just means...Nothing for Arizona. The Republican Party in AZ is falling apart because of extreme infighting. McCain has changed his position on immigration and lost the confidence of many of the Independents in this state. He should lose this election, go back to Sedona, AZ. with his wife, and try to contemplate how he lost not only himself in this election but also his core values, ethics, and morals. He's the definition of a Turncoat!

October 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  21. Remy

McCain and his camp will know the Obamination of USA.

October 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  22. Dick in Callifornia

Gee, I wonder why even Arizona is having second thoughts about McCain. Today the former President who created the greatest surplus in history was on stage with Barack Obama. Tomorrow a nobel laurete will share the stage. And John McCain has "Joe the Plumber on stage with him. It's a no brainer.

October 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  23. Greg Hodges

While I do not believe McCain will lose his home state (though he is lucky only 5 days left); I do now expect that the American people will speak loud and clear on Nov.4/08 that Enough is ENOUGH with all the hate, fear, and poisonous division that is the Republican legacy over the last 8 long years. The question McCain/Palin should be asked is how in the name of God could you bring your country together; after doing so much to drive your countrymen apart. I do not know how Republicans can even look themselves in the mirror these days. They are apparently completely in denial about how much damage they have really done.

October 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  24. DenniseC

Are you kidding, I think they ought to stick it to him in his own home state for his so called ethics! Come on AZ you know you want to vote for Obama!

October 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  25. Portlander

Enough bickering on both sides. Let's hug and make up. Say something nice about the candidates you didn't vote for.
    Mr. McCain thanks for serving your country and being a trooper by sticking it through five years in the Hanoi Hilton. Mrs. Palin, I am glad you can see Russia from my house, it will save you from having to pay for those high raising airline cost. Enjoy your blessed children; especially Trig.

October 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |