October 30th, 2008

As polls tighten, the campaign arrives in McCain's home state

McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.
McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.

(CNN) – Democrats are making a late play for Arizona as new polls show home-state Senator John McCain with a shrinking single-digit edge over Barack Obama.

A CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll released this week suggested McCain holds a 53 percent to 46 percent advantage. Other new surveys have indicated an even tighter race.

Earlier this week, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee paid for negative robo-calls in the state, telling voters Obama’s election “invites a major international crisis he will be unprepared to handle alone.

“If Democrats win full control of government, they will want to give civil rights to terrorists and talk unconditionally to dictators and state sponsors of terror. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the experience and judgment to lead America,” said the calls.

MoveOn.org said Thursday it was launching its ‘Obamacan’ ad statewide on broadcast and cable in response. The ad features a life-long Republican who supports Obama.

The Obama campaign sent its supporters in the state a message from national field director Jon Carson calling for volunteers, and pointing to reports McCain was "struggling in his own backyard."

“Supporters like you have put us within striking distance. Now it's time to pull off what no one expected,” said Carson.

The fresh effort forces the Arizona senator to direct late-campaign spending to his home state. Democratic officials - who say the state would likely have gone blue if McCain were not on the ballot - concede it's unlikely Obama will beat the Arizona senator there. But they say the move signals their confidence is more than symbolic - Democrats can afford to keep Arizona volunteers in their home state in the race's final days this cycle instead of directing them to neighboring New Mexico and Nevada, perennial battlegrounds.

Filed under: Arizona • Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • John McCain
  1. a well educated woman

Hey "Welcome to the Obama Shoe" I think you are the one that needs to read a book. My husband is a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER. No way has he ever gotten close to the 200 or even 250 mark, because after the payroll, the rent, the vehicles, the benefits, and losses, he is still no where near that tax line. Also for your information, we have been paying taxes at a rate of 42%, under Bush, which in turn McCain wants to continue.
    You do the math, buddy, and you tell me just how I am going to benefit under the Rethugs. Your mouth is cow manure.

October 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  2. Uncle Fester

ENE M DIAZ October 30th, 2008 6:12 pm ET

THE KEY TO THE MC CAIN -PALIN VICTORY IS THE REVEALING OF L.A. TIME TAPE, THAT IS VERY HIDING. WILL DROP ALL OTHERS ADS./////////

I am guessing you are referring to mCain's lame attempt to link
    Obama with mCains buddy Khalibi?

The Verdict: True. There was a relationship in the 1990s between the IRI, chaired by McCain, and the CPRS, co-founded by Khalidi, which received IRI funding.

October 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. IF, Portugal

Arizona voters, certainly can read... Senator Biden spoke of a test, yes (for ANY new president) but he NEVER said Obama wouldn't come through brilliantly. In fact he said excatly the opposite.

And as to the dubious acquaintances... read this:
    Fact check: Does group McCain chairs have link to Columbia professor Khalidi? Veredict: True

So... who's lying? Who said he would conduct an honourable campaign and then started slinging mud left and right, regardless of the truth? McCain's campaign is really turning into a disgusting affair...

October 30, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  4. Joe the Realist

Don't discount the fact that someone's oratory skills bode well for the image of the United States. Time to prove to the world that American's are not idiots, and do know how to elect someone who will act in the best interest of the majority, for a change.

The world stands behind Obama. America will as well.

October 30, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. Ted

Since last 4wks, i am closely following presidential campaigning. After the 3rd debate and Joe-the-plummber – i thought McCain will cut Obama's lead. But it didnt happen. McCain camp tried all out approach even went beyond the fare game – making dirtiest accusations.. but nothing worked...

The conclusion is, Obama is running very very smart campaign. He is stealing media spotlight everyday. Last week it was his grand-mother, last couple of days INFORMERCIAL, now today Obama camp said they will bring Al Gore for campaigning – it will be in media for atleast one/two days.

I think on saturday or sunday, he will be definitely campaigning in Arizona so that whole media attention for atleast one day before and after.

I am pretty sure that he will do something to get final media attention on the day before election. may be he will campaign in Texas and Alaska ?

Overall, he is running pretty smart and fare campaign compared dirtiest from McCain.

By looking at current situation domestically and international, we need smart person like Obama thats y i have changed my mind and voting for Obama on Nov 4th.

Vote for Obama and be part of the history...

GO OBAMA..

October 30, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Jean

Obama will stop the United States' policy of not negotiating with terrorists... that's when they come calling... on US soil.

Do you want another 9/11?

If not, you need the National Security President – John McCain.

October 30, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

THANKS FOR GOING BLUE.................AZ! WE ARE COUNTING ON YOU

I have been blogging here on CNN for months, most days I am disturbed and offended by the vile comments of the far-right-folks. Honestly, some of the Republican-far-right is downright nuts.

I call you, people, "far-right-folks" because its as polite as I can be. As a Christian I know well the teachings of my Lord, JESUS. However, I am always amazed at the vitriolic comments from the far-right-folks, since 99% of you consider yourselves Christians!

Why SO much angst, vile, hate?! Why ALL THE LiES? Just today while driving my husband and I heard a McCain ad on the radio; the ad "claimed that everyone who earns $42,000 would have their taxes raised" !! FALSE. Another McCain LIE. Why LIE? Why not make your case in an honest thoughtful way????

I am disturbed that the Limbaughs, Hewitts, O'Reillys, Hannitys, Reagan of AM Radio and 'Faux News' have infiltrated the Republican party to the point that they are the ones running the show!

WHY HAS THE PARTY THAT CONSIDERS THEMSELVES CHRISTIAN BEING SPEWING SO MUCH HATE, LIES, FEAR AND DIVISION???????????????????????????????????????????

America WILL REJECT the vile politics of the Republicans, and I am hoping that ..........just....one........Republican, will read my post and ask yourself "is this the way Jesus wants us to treat one another?"

October 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  8. Arizona Senior

You would have to be out of your mind to vote McCain! I've been around this block a few times and one thing I know is that the economy is always in better shape under Democratic government!

Just my experience! By the way, I am retired comfortably because I didn't listen to George Bush!!!!

October 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. No McSame in Arizona

Hold on to your hats Amreica. Wait and see what Arizona does come Tuesday!

BO in '08

October 30, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  10. Texas Teacher

BLAH... Blah.... Blah...... give it up, Repubs! We have supported Obama with our money and our trust. You are in trouble and you know it! Even your own state sees the mess your party has put us in with YOUR endorsement OVER 90% of the time.

Stop lying..... we know who you are now.... only your hard core right wing base believes the BS anymore.... and I suspect a lot of them are waking up!

October 30, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Anthony

I live in Arizona, and my vote goes to Obama!!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

October 30, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

One more thing............THANK YOU TO ALL THE REPUBLICANS ..........AND ALL THE..........INDEPENDENTS...........WHOM HAVE VOTED FOR SEN. OBAMA!

THANK YOU FROM MY CHILDREN AND MY GRANDCHILDREN AND ALL THOSE YET TO COME!

OBAMA-REPUBLICANS & INDEPENDENTS YOU GIVE US, ALL, HOPE THAT OUR NATION WILL RISE UP ONCE MORE TO TAKE ITS PLACE OF HONOR IN THE WORLD!

THANK YOU!!! AND GOD BLESS YOU!

October 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  13. Laura, Boston

Greene: If you can’t (or can) say anything nice. . .

I absolutely loved this blog...Here I go.

I am definitely for McCain...so I will say something nice about Obama. I would say he is a marvelous speaker and expresses his ideas in a way I have never seen before.

He also appears to be a great husband and father. His children seem happy and healthy and when alll is said and done isn't that the most important thing.

It was easy. Maybe others will try. After all no matter who we vote for we will have Bush leaving and change in the White House.

Hey, I'm actually smiling. Thanks CNN!

October 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Ted

Regarding the Poll of polls and other Polls, there are lot of Republican biased polls like Fox-news or other – i think they had a plan all along – they showed actual poll numbers last week and now deliberately they are showing only 2 or 3 % lead for Obama. Just show the race is suddenly getting tight. No one can say they are biased since they showed actual lead last week and before that.

I think american people are smarter than McCain camp thinks.

Please dont vote for McCain - I have no prob with McCain but if something happens to him – i can't see Palin/Todd in Oval office and making shots on complicated domestic/international issues.

Just think of this line - Palin/Todd are avg persons like you and me. Honestly, I am 100% know that i can't run this country and i pretty sure you also think the same.

Vote for Obama and be part of the History

GO OBAMA...

October 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  15. Let it go..........

Yada, yada, yada...the man who's all about NOTHING. He does not even have a good thought in his head and wants to divide America. That is not what we want and at the very least, need. Obama can bring people together and all you hate mongers can go slither back under your rocks. Better yet, go back to school and learn to live in the REAL world. It wouldn't hurt you to grow up and have some respect not only for yourselves, but, for others. You truly make me sick with your lame lies and "spreading the fear." Oh,... GROW UP and help make the UNITED states of America better...

October 30, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. chad in avery, ca.

ha ha!
    i called this a couple of days ago!
    westerners dont like you john.
    youll be lucky to win your own state!
    there, i said it again.

October 30, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. Texas Teacher

Becky, I live in Texas... everyone I talk to says they are voting for Obama.... there may be some who will not.... but I have NOT met ONE! I suspect that even here in Texas, if we lose, the election was fixed! This is a good ole boy state.... big money has power.... they often get what they want whether we like it or not!

Scary business. Big Business has run this country for 8 years. They are not going to give up easily. That is why everyone is voting early... and helping other get to the polls as well.... and I am NOT black!

Use your voice, American... VOTE... in such large numbers that no one can hear anything BUT our voices!

October 30, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  18. HP

The radical left wing group ACORN is under investigation for alleged voter registration fraud in about a dozen states. The group claims to be nonpartisan, but has released an ad accusing Republicans and Senator McCain of voter suppression.

THIS IS DIRTY POLITICS- IT'S THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK.

TAKE ALL FEDERAL FUNDING FROM ACORN. OUR TAXES PAY %40 OF ACORN'S FUNDING. THEY ARE PATHETIC CRIMINALS!!!

October 30, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. Edward

What's this about Obama's aunt not being able to talk to reporters until after the election? Man, I sense more closet skeletons!

October 30, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  20. joel

NO,NoBama

October 30, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. raymond from wellington (New Zealand)

Hi America, if you don't mind a little friendly advice from a kiwi.

You guys have an enormous responsibility next Tuesday – the man you put into office will have a huge influence over the other 6 billion of us on this rock we call Earth.

Ignore the media fuelled dross (Ayres, Palin's wardrobe etc) and focus on the candidate you think will do most to make lives better for you and for the rest of us.

BTW – those of you who aren't happy with the candidates on offer – you should come down here and look at the pair of (insert your favourite colourful descriptor)s we get to vote for on November 8th!

Raymond from Wellington (NZ)

October 30, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. Unhappy Republican now for Obama

When Palin REDISTRIBUTES oil company profits to the people of Alaska is she being a SOCIALIST??? When John McCain has friends with G. Gordon Liddy, meets with Augusto Pinochet, and funds Rashid Khalidi's research on the West Bank does that make him a TERRORIST?

Hypocrites.

October 30, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  23. Charlie Bradley

Be sure you watch Mary Hart on Entertainment Tonight...she's interviewing Palin tonight...........If She can eat her for lunch the way Couric did, then that says it all :)

October 30, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. Alexander

After watching that 30 minute infomercial last night, I was totally waiting for Ron Popeil to pop out with his Showtime Rotisserie. I was undecided, but watching that excess amount of money being spent on informercials on so many major tv stations made me wonder...what the heck?!?! Is Obama so desperate that he has to spend a 1/2 million on advertising time? Is this who I want to lead my Country?

In some ways I really hope Obama wins, so when things go down the tubes, and he can't fix anything...and rocks himself back and forth in his happy place. I am getting flashbacks to President Bush's first term, and we'll go through it all again. "Hey Biden what should we do, I am in over my head!!" will be what Barack will be saying... "where are all the grown ups?"

October 30, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  25. No McSame in Arizona

Hold on to your hats America. Wait and see what Arizona does come Tuesday!

BO in '08