October 30th, 2008

As polls tighten, the campaign arrives in McCain's home state

McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.
McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona.

(CNN) – Democrats are making a late play for Arizona as new polls show home-state Senator John McCain with a shrinking single-digit edge over Barack Obama.

A CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll released this week suggested McCain holds a 53 percent to 46 percent advantage. Other new surveys have indicated an even tighter race.

Earlier this week, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee paid for negative robo-calls in the state, telling voters Obama’s election “invites a major international crisis he will be unprepared to handle alone.

“If Democrats win full control of government, they will want to give civil rights to terrorists and talk unconditionally to dictators and state sponsors of terror. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the experience and judgment to lead America,” said the calls.

MoveOn.org said Thursday it was launching its ‘Obamacan’ ad statewide on broadcast and cable in response. The ad features a life-long Republican who supports Obama.

The Obama campaign sent its supporters in the state a message from national field director Jon Carson calling for volunteers, and pointing to reports McCain was "struggling in his own backyard."

“Supporters like you have put us within striking distance. Now it's time to pull off what no one expected,” said Carson.

The fresh effort forces the Arizona senator to direct late-campaign spending to his home state. Democratic officials - who say the state would likely have gone blue if McCain were not on the ballot - concede it's unlikely Obama will beat the Arizona senator there. But they say the move signals their confidence is more than symbolic - Democrats can afford to keep Arizona volunteers in their home state in the race's final days this cycle instead of directing them to neighboring New Mexico and Nevada, perennial battlegrounds.

Filed under: Arizona • Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • John McCain
  1. CAMEROON/WEST AFRICA

BECKY PLEASE KNOCK SOME MORE DOORS.
    AND LET YOUR FELLOW ARIZONANS CHOOSE CHANGE.

October 30, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. reggie

Well, Obama has the money so why not try every state. He's running a smart campaign. However, in the end, I think experience will win out over money and talk. McCain/Palin!!!

October 30, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. John McKeating

Wait. !

So.. Johnny Mac can tell us that he can handle any similar or the exact same Major International crisis all alone?

The McCain camp has one thing better than Obama... The Punch :P
    No more Punch for you John.. you're have become incoherant and
    Dillusional.

October 30, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. OMG!

I know some deadbeat fathers in AZ, McCain, can you make this and issue? It's all about the children and their futures right?

October 30, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. jimmy

you guys are all idiots, the only thing that will change is our perception since the media controls all you mindless sheople who live in america...you are all stupid sheep,,,follow your leader...get bent losers.

October 30, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  6. annie - never again a dem.

I am a long time dem who will never vote dem again – not since the dnc SELECTED bho and bho has taken tons of foreign money for his campaign and his virtually trying to BUY the whitehouse.

October 30, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. Xerxes

He should not to go there

October 30, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  8. Listen Up...

Great thing about knowing people with varying viewpoints, you get more insight into the ethnic/cultural/financial issues that plague their people. Our great thinkers of the republican party who obviously think it's a good idea to exclude anyone with different ideas believed that Iraq would welcome us with open arms and had no idea that the Iraqis had been in-fighting for centuries.

October 30, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. annie - never again a dem.

The democrat party has been replaced with the New Party of which bho is a long time member!

October 30, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. Conservative in TX

So much for free speech. I guess on CNN.com they only publish what they want you to hear just like the rest of the media. Every single posting I have submitted has been blocked. So much for change. If America woke up we would not let the media force feed us the BS they try to shove down our throats each day. The polls mean nothing at this point. It is the voice of those voting that matters. Get out and vote!

McCain in 08!!

October 30, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Laura in PHX

McCain has never done a darn thing for AZ. I wish we had some 'pork' money to fix some of the things wrong here. His interests lie in himself and how he can keep the money he and his wife has. He doesn't care about the 'common' folks.

October 30, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  12. Cathy in Vermont

CNN ENOUGH MODERATION!
    Why have you said nothing of the fact that McCain had to bus 4000+ school kids to his Defiance, OH rally to bring #s up to 6000?

October 30, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Phil

Obama is a campaign of empty promises, shady friends and a career achievement attitude rather than a country first goal!
    1. Broke his promise on pulbic funding and mislead McCain into thinking he wasnt gonna take it with written and verbal confirmation
    as well as never fulfilled one promise made when first ran from Senate. Dont believe me look at his home state.
    2. Was discipled and raised into Christianity by a Racial Theologan Rev. Wright who is anti american and creates racial lines by preaching them. Also was friends with Detroit corrupt Mayor who was just sentanced to jail, along with Ayers.
    3. Believes his 300+ days is enough experience for the white house, HA when the economy and stock market crashed he called every advisor he knew cause he didnt know what to do, he quoted "you tell me what we should do, and I will sell it" dont believe me Bill Clinton said it just today!
    Wake Up AZ stand by the Man who has stood by you for 26 Years!
    McCain/Palin 2008

October 30, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. cmc

I sure don't remember the republicans complaining when "they" had control of both houses plus the White House, they thought it was pretty good, after all it got us into the mess we are in now. Talking out of both sides of your mouth. Sounds like a pity party to me!!!!!!!!!! Get a life McCain, all you know how to do it push the "FEAR" agenda.

October 30, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Proud Arizonan

Democrats actually have Republicans in AZ slightly outnumbered.

Personally, I'll be campaigning for Obama in AZ all weekend long. I've seen a surge of Obama bumper stickers lately all over town and McCain left the chicken coop open. Some Democrats might have given up in AZ because of John McCain, but this news should energize AZ Democrats! Spread the word. We can pull this off!

Further, Obama strongly supports Solar. Solar would add tremendous value to Arizona...solar capital USA. McCain's support of Solar is unclear.

We'll see what happens.

October 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

ARIZONA, WE NEED CHANGE, VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. John

Funny how CNN is in a dilema now not knowing what to air? yesterdays proof of not accepting Obamas offer and showing all of McCains interview is just unbelievable? now they are claiming to show part of obama part of mcCain, CNN you should not take sides and stay moderate do not become another fox news channels where everyhting obama this obama that but when asked of proof they scream at their guest.

October 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. Carpetbagger McCain Speaks

I opted in and then I opted out! FEC Chairman said I opted in and then I opted out! Hillary was suppose to win, she was broke. I opted out, and then Obama opted in! Hillary was suppose to win, she was going broke! I opted out, and then Obama opted in. Hillary was suppose to win, not Obama! I opted out, got a loan for 5 million dollars and then I opted back in! Obama won, what! He opted out because I opted in and then opted out! Now that I'm opting in, he's opting out! Oh well I got a new 4 million dollar condo and 1.5 million dollar parking lot for 5,000,000,000 personal loan! I gave Khalidi $500,000 when! Stop the press! Stop the press! He's not an "arab" he's not a "socialist! Stop the press! Just don't speak Palin, just don't speak! Read, Read I said, Read!

October 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. Rob

I can't imagine two candidates who are more tired, more to the right of RIGHT, and more "third rate" than McCain and Palin. They lie like a heavy-duty, dated carpet. They are not mavericks. "Maverick" means you buck the system, not retool the "buck." They are so see-through that bad acting doesn't do it justice. Whatever they say is like smoke up a rubber hose they beat you with until you smoke it too. I will laugh my butt off if these two bozos win this election. Then it will be clear: most of us in those voting booths weren't as smart as many of us thought.

October 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. Democrat from AZ

I am doing everything I possibly can to help Barack Obama become our next President. It is time for Senator McCain to retire

October 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  21. Annette, Long Beach, California

WHERE IS JOE? HE WAS CAMPAIGNING WITH OBAMA NOW!!!!

October 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. AZ 4 OBAMA

I'm an Independent from Scottsdale and I voted early for Obama. I have several Republican family members, and they are voting for Obama. I've always respected McCain as a senator, but his fiery temperament is definitely not suited for the White House. And his choice for Vice President sealed the deal.

October 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. one nation under god!!!!

Boy i love this.The liberal media has been fudging the numbers, because they think americans will vote for what looks like a winner.Or maybe its because they are covering for the obama election fraud.But it the end McCain will win even though he has spent 250, million dollars,a liberal media shamelessly covering for him,and the smearing of anyone who dares to question the dear leader.The victory is gonna be fair and square.And i beg you liberal punks to riot .please riot

October 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  24. Karon

McCain complaining about the LA time tape is so funny!

Simply because Obama was at a fund raiser where that guy happened to be there compared to McCain and his GOP organization giving $488,832 + to the same guy in 1993!!!!

That guy (Kad something) is in a PLO organization that promotes EDUCATION not terrorism! Plus, McCain (chair of the Republican board) gave almost HALF A MILLION DOLLARS to the same guy! Can't McCain remember that?

October 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. Joe

there is like one pro-mccain response here...i wonder who cnn panders to. sidenote: if (God willing) mccain wins, it's sad that i'm afraid my house is gonna get burned down in riots. but i guess that's better than obama winning and burning the country down (metaphorically)

October 30, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |