October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Scott in Atlanta

Interviewer: Senator Mccain and Governor Palin, what kind of plans do you have for this country?

Mccain: My friends, pow, iran, ayers, wright, khalidi, fight, right where we want them, obama this, obama that, Reagan, maverick, mavericker, maverickest, experience, pitbull, russia, joe the plumber, joe the plumber, joe the plumber, pelosi, reid, obama, vote for me…

Palin: Alsooooo, up there, and also because too that they were up there (wink) mavericky, (wink), joe the plumber, socialist, ayers, wright, khalidi, maverick, wardrobe, consignment shop, russia, up there, also, too also, Katie Couric, liberal, liberal media, tito, hannity, great state of Alaska, fight, energy, oil, alaska, wasilla, down syndrome baby (supersize that), also up there, pit bull, lipstick, also, too… Thank you, vote for me! Oooops. I mean us.

October 30, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

HEY OBAMA SUPPORTERS,

PLEASE DO YOURSELF AND YOUR COUNTRY A FAVOR PLEASE PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON OBAMA BEFORE YOU VOTE FOR HIM. DON'T LISTEN TO HIS WORDS. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

WHO IS OBAMA REALLY?????

WHERE DOES HE REALLY COME FROM?????

WHO WERE HIS REAL TEACHERS????

DOES THIS MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL???

October 30, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Dog & Pony Show

I witnessed "The Obama Dog & Pony Show" last evening.

This was the most arrogant, pompous, self-absorbed piece of crap I have ever seen.

Do you think Obama would ever give these struggling individuals the time of time (more less a visit), if he weren't running for President?

Obama has one agenda, and that's "The White House."

Obama there are many of us (and yes, we wear suits and ties also, we have degrees and well paying jobs, and we see through your fake smile and your glistening eyes.

The people, the photographs, even the glances were so choreographed.

Obama you define "me," "mine," and "I" at it's best!

McCain is a proud man! You are just a man!

October 30, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. John

Please, wake up Sharon.

October 30, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

HEY OBAMA SUPPORTERS,

BEFORE YOU VOTE PLEASE PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON OBAMA. DON'T LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.

WHO REALLY IS OBAMA???

WHERE DOES HE REALLY COME FROM ???????

WHO WAS IS REAL TEACHERS????

DOES THIS BOTHER YOU AT ALL?????

PLEASE WAKE UP BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Kina, NYC

so Ms. Morris from Akron, OH is gonna vote for Sen. McCain caus he picked Gov. Palin as VP?...wowwwww...well, ma'am, i hope you can live with that decision...God Bless America.

Obama/Biden '08.

Kina.

October 30, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. No Hillary = No Obama

I am kinda beginning to feel sorry for Obama. He soooooo desperately wants to be President. His infomerical was akin to selling himself on QVC, the shopping program. It's sad, really.

October 30, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  8. Concerned in MA

Someone please explain this to me, OK?

National polls show Obama up by less than 10 points. Yet... over 90% of comments in CNN's blogs are pro-Obama. How can this be?

It lends me to believe:

A. These comments are being written by paid DNC bloggers,
    B. The same bloggers are writing comments under different names,
    C. CNN only posts pro-Obama comments
    D. All of the above

Something doesn't make any sense here.

October 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  9. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I've already researched both candidates. It took days of my time, but I wanted to know the whole truth. I'm not married to a millionaire. I don't make more than $200,000 per year.

I voted early for Obama/Biden

October 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. redhead from Toronto

So, Joe was a no show, HILARIOUS, Sen. McCain needs to go to Home Depot for some help getting his campaign out of the toilet. BTW, I just watched Sen. Obama speaking in Florida and could not be more proud of the supporters there for him, I wish I could be there myself cheering him on. I am an old British Gal living in Canada and am fervently wishing for some new HOPE for the future for the GREAT U S of A. I am positive that Barack Obama is "the Peoples' President". God Bless you all, God Bless America and God bring our troops home safely, soon.....Sorry, have to stop now, I'm crying with happiness for you all. Please go VOTE

October 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  11. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

I HAVE THREE BEAUTIFUL GRANDCHILDREN, I'M VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR FUTURE, THAT'S WHY I'M SUPPORTING OBAMA, HE MAKES SENSE, MCCAIN AND PALIN MAKE A LOT OF NON SENSE. VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  12. Sergio

THEY SHOULD TAKE A NEW LOOK! They have been abandoned by Republicans over and over.
    If you are looking into capital preservation DO NOT VOTE McCain.
    McCain = Bush.

October 30, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. J.D.

Uh oh, news just in: Joe the Plumber has gone rogue! He's not showing up to McCain events as promised, he's giving his own speeches. The 2012 Republican ticket is clear:

Palin/Plumber 2012

October 30, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. McCain 08

Just wondering when you are going to change your name to dnCNN, you are obviously no longer an unbiased news agency and have instead become the public relations branch of the DNC and Howard YeeHaw Dean

October 30, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Tim

I have a hard time understanding how Obama's supporters can be so dismissive of the fact that he lied about how he would finance his campaign. Is that what we can expect from his leadership should he be elected? What is even more distrurbing to me is that he spends close to $5 million on this 30 minute piece and his numbers dropped! I would suggest to all those who donated money to his camaign that you are being taken for a ride. Unfortunately, this ride doesn't end with everyone getting off and wanting to do it again. I also find it odd that people are more than willing to donate all this money to his campaign but then cry foul if there is a possibility of their taxes being raised. Next time around, don't donate to a campaign. Instead donate to a charity, since you have all that money sitting around doing nothing.

I see Obama as a liar with a silver tongue and he has fooled a lot of people into believing in his policy changes. I read an article from another news site that did a fact check on his proposals from last night's "info-mercial" and they say that he is merely playing with words in an eloquent manner which makes people believe he is more capable that what he truly is.

By the way, I am not racist or a sexist either. I think it would be great to see a man or woman of differing ethnicity take the reins of the nation. I just do not believe Obama is the right one to do that.

Please use your heads for more than a hat rack folks.

Tim

October 30, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. SENATUS POPOLUSQUE ROMANUS

It's HIGH TIME that Americans voters of all ages will vote with their brain, rather than their guts reacting to the unpolluted NONSENSE spread by neocons and mentally highjacked GOP.

October 30, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Koolaid for seniors

I would be worried too if I was a senior citizen. Luckily, this is one year the young, middle aged and elderly can stand united and vote for change. McCain, however much he rants, has run out of time and ideas. Game, set, match, Obama will be president. He has demonstrated a unique ability to unite and lead the USA through these troubled times.

October 30, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

@ "Welcome to the Obama show"........ we have done our research, have you?????? Or do you just listen to the propaganda of the AM radio-hate-lies-fear-and-division mongers?

This is the trouble with the far-right, you, people do not do INDEPENDENT research you go to the hate-monger sites, only. So you get just the propaganda and the lies fed directly to you!

Perhaps, we would respect the far-right IF they would state FACTS, rather than always spewing the same tired lies-hate-fear-and-division!

October 30, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. no mccain/palin

i laugh when i see the mccain/palin clips of their rally's and i hear how much they are NOT talking about the issues that plague us today, i am very much concerned with the way this country is going and would go if those two freakshows get into office.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. redhead from Toronto

To all you negative anti-Obama posters on here, YOU ARE WRONG about Obama, he will be your President too, Get used to it and for pity's sake, GIVE HIM A CHANCE, as well as yourselves. God bless

October 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Re-Elect the Mods

Y'know I love the fact that the other day I took time to submit a very thought-out, non-insulting comment that took an outside look on an issue, and it didn't get posted. Now I see some people having duplicate posts approved numerous times, sometimes lacking any sort of credibility or point. Way to go, moderators.

October 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. oscar

Good job! Good healthcare plan, excellent Education plan, building up jobs here in America, Stop spending billions on foreign oil and billions monthly to Iraq will help make our country a better place. That is what Obama will do for us.

October 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

Not just battle ground states voters should be worried. Everyone in the U.S. should be worried. It is called the domino affect. Other states will began to feel the crunch because folks will begin to move where they can get jobs. Trust me, I am in that situation myself. Single mother of one.

October 30, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Credit Card Republicans

The companies cant wait to dump the elderly and retirees.This has all been in the planning for years and now they have their excuse to do it.

October 30, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. ANDY DAAS

OBAMA IS BEST FOR AMERICA.

October 30, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |