October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. ran

If they were serious about fixing this economy it would cost 200million not 700billion. We have 200million citizens over 21yoa;if we gave each 1 million it would cost 200million. We could then jump start the economy on our own. The 700billion is to bail out the ceos/ shareholders and the company's that got into this mess.

Tell your elected official to give us the people a bailout.

October 30, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. jm for sc

I will be glad when this election is over. People are about to lost their minds in fear of a change in the status quo. Some keep reminding Obama's supporters that he has not won yet. I would like to remind those type people of the fact that Obama and his supporters knows that election day is Nov. 4th.

Scott in Atlanta, You are crazy(LOL) The words in your post is all they have to say. You left out one thing, "Sen. Obama has not...."

Obama/Biden08

October 30, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  3. Carolyn, Rhode Island

Scott in Atlanta 12:18pm
    You hit the nail on the head haha! I laughed so hard because it's so true, thanks for taking the time to sum up the McCain campaign.
    Dog & Pony Show
    Obama has given those individuals (and then some) more time than I'm sure you have. He has worked with poverty stricken communities instead of taking a high paying job. I find that very admirable.

Obama/Biden 08
    A vote for intelligence after 8 years of stupidity!

October 30, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. Marc PDX

It's simple: do you have a 401k? Do you want capital gains taxes to go up?

October 30, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. Comrade nom deplume

"Well, guess what? This is the "New America! And if you can't keep up get off of the ship, because it's stopping for no one! "

Can we take our money with us? Nope, the Dems outlawed that in June.

October 30, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. Concerned in MA

@ Nyte...

"Obama is not Carter.... (etc.)..."

So why is everyone equating McCain to Bush?

And don't give me that "McCain voted with Bush 90%" B.S...

Fact of the matter is that Obama voted with Pelosi and Reid 97% of the time. Now THAT'S scary.

October 30, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Old Geezer for Obama

Obama is on my side more than McCain, even though McCain is slightly older than me.

October 30, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. Maggie from Virginia

John,

We know where you fit in this equation.

October 30, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Jennifer

WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW.....

I would request you to research too. I want you search more on McShame. Who is real McCain? What is his plan for the future of the country? What is plan to restore the economy? What is his plan for homeowners loosing their home? What is his plan to create new jobs? what is his plan for small business people who are struggling right now? What is his plan to lower the college tuition? What is his plan to get the people together and UNIFY(NOT DIVID) this country? what is his plan to bring the troops back to home from iraq? What is his plan for health care for veterans and overall american people?

And I dont want the empty words...like he is wealth creator(dont know how he is going do it), blah blah blah.

I seriously request you to do some research. This is crucial ellection. Its not only you but all of us will be hurt if McShame becomes president.

Vote for OBAMA, 08,12.

October 30, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. snowdog

say no to b.o

October 30, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Hardworking American for McCain

Great, lets put our trust in a muslim who take money from terrorist inorder to win his campaign.

October 30, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. clyde in kentucky

One of these jokers is going to win the presidency. After the term/terms are over, the American people will basically support them for the rest of their lives. Obama's in his 40's. McCain's in his 70's. Vote McCain.

October 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Charlie

So Kina in NYC, the news is out today, Obama's Aunt is living in a slum in Boston...what you got to say about that? Is Obama not willing to spread his wealth for her? Maybe he'll way around until he wins the election, then....spread YOUR wealth...Alright! What a guy that OBAMA!

Go John/Sarah we so need you!

October 30, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Tim

johnrj08 October 30th, 2008 12:37 pm ET

Tim, I think you're the one who needs to use your head in this election. You have, apparently, bought into the half-truths and blatant lies that McCain/Palin have been spoon-feeding to you for the last month. What proof is there ANYWHERE that Obama signed a binding agreement to accept public financing? Where? Just because John McCain says Obama broke a promise, you blindly accept it and call a man you've never met a liar. You are exactly the audience that McCain and Palin are trying to sway with their despicable attack campaign. You sound like the kind of voter who would actually buy into the suggestion that Obama is a Marxist, socialist, terrorist, communist Muslim who secretly hates Israel. If you're not, you need to ask yourself if a man who runs that kind of campaign deserves to be President of the United States.

Actually John, there McCain was on Larry King and said there was a signed agreement concerning the discussion of compaign financing. I know Obama did not say he promised to accept the financing, but he did say he would discuss it with his opponent and come to an agreement. Per McCain, that never happened and he chose to fund raise on his own, and in effect, purchase the election in the process. I wrote nothing concerning Socialism or Marxism in regard to Obama, thoughsome of his comments are somewhat disturbing. Both candidates have ties to radical groups but only one candidate (Obama) is relatively unknown to the public.

I am not one to vote along party lines since to be honest, this is the first election cycle I have chosen to participate in. I served my country for many years and elected at that time not to participate in order to remain objective in my service.

With that being said, I have done my research on both candidates and their VP picks as well. I will choose on November 4th who I believe is the best person to lead this troubled nation.

Thank you for your input, though it was off base.

October 30, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. Debi

No Hillary = No Obama: It is not selling himself on QVC. It is telling the people that have refused to listen to his message what needs to be said.
    Of course, the right wing conservatives are so closed minded that they probably did not watch the commercial, but I hope the more open minded conservatives/independants did listen. Maybe they will get the message – American is broken. Republican's trickle down policies have not worked.
    The trickle down policy is based off the idea that CEO's will "spread the wealth". The problem, they look at the bottom line.
    Bottom line: it is cheaper to hire people outside of this country to create products to sell inside this country.
    Problem: no one in this country has a job to buy the product. You can not have capitalism when there is no one to purchase the product.
    I would like to ask all the people voting for republicans over and over "what have they done for you lately?"
    If you are not making over a million dollars a year, you are not even in the radar of the republican party, yet you fall again for the lies they are feeding you.

October 30, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. kimberly

John McCain,You should be be talking about what matters too the voters.Not crying about Obama.That is why you are going too lose the race.Obama is staying on what realy matters too the people why can,t you As far as I KNOW YOU ARE BUSH ALL OVER AGAIN.When picked PALIN WE ALL KNEW YOU WAS OUT IN SPACE.Be a man and give up .YOU ARE A CARRY OLD MAN WE SHOULD CHANGE YOUR NAME TOO BUSH .CINDY YOU STAND ON STAGE AND YOU LOOK LIKE A SNOB I WATCH YOU WHEN BUSH IS ON STAGE AND YOU ACT AS IF YOU ARE BETTER THEN EVERYONE NOT .I GESS WITH ALL YOUR MONEY YOU CAN HOW MENY HOUSES DO YOU HAVE I FORGOT YOU TOO DONT KNOW MUST BE NICE AND YOU SAY YOUR FOR THE PEOPLE THAT IS A JOKE.

October 30, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Andrew

Governor McCain and Miss Alaska should buy new clothes to Joe the plumber.

Please be advised that this coming Wednesday Palin will go back to see the Russian sky for ever.... and McCain back to Arizona.... MAVERICKS.... He is an antique of war and she is stupid.

October 30, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. nam

"Concerned in MA October 30th, 2008 2:58 pm ET

Senior Citizens,
    Let me translate Obama's proposed "universal coverage" for you.
    Basically, it means there's going to be 50 million more consumers into a system, without 1 single additional provider (doctor, nurse, hospital).
    Get ready for lines and rationing."

Concerned in MA is right. I am an European living in the US. I have lived in several European countries and I've seen several Unversal Healthcare systems at their "best". They are waiting lists in all of them, and senior patients are always the last because they are no "productive" citizens anymore (said by the medical consultants). A hip, knee-cap replacement, catarats surgeries are not deemed urgent and seniors have to wait. The US healthcare system is not perfect, but please don't use the Europena Universal Healthcare system as a benchmark.

October 30, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. ET from OMAHA

I feel so sorry that the education of some people on this blog is comparable to a third world village students.
    You call yourself a red neck and you let the rich republicans use you to screw yourself and others. Pittfull.
    My co-worker just got laid off and he was a red neck republican arguing with me every day and I ask him are you still voting McCain? He could not answer me.

October 30, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. PAT California

Old white woman in NC
    I've got you beat by 20 years, but old and white! Obama is the most inspiring politician I've see in years! I use that word losely. He's not the typical politician, THANK GOO'DNESS!!! I'm glad he isn't loaded with experience. Seems the more they get, the more they fall into the same ole trap!!!!! I've listened to him carefully, and have come to the conclusion that I can be optomistic about my children's and grandchildren's futures with him at the helm. I'm afraid that McCain and that coocoo beside him will sink our ship! Obama admits the future won't be easy because he's realistic. But I think he has the brains and strenght to GET THE JOB DONE!!!! We all must do our part. As John Kennedy said," Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country!"

October 30, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. arc, Lugano CH

Hardworking American for McCain October 30th, 2008 3:42 pm ET
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Muslim argument once again. Don't you have anything better?

By your logic, it is wrong to be Muslim yet acceptable to be an uneducated, ignorant, prejudiced bigot as long as you’re an Apple Pie Wal-Mart American Christian who supports McCain/Palin?

Take the Christmas lights off your front porch and stop falling in love with farm animals.

October 30, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. Marc

To Hardworking American for McCain
    He's not Muslim, but let's just suppose that he is...
    SO WHAT?
    It's against the law to be one and try to be the POTUS? It's forbidden by the Constitution to be Muslim and POTUS? Oh... YOU can't stand a Non-Christian as POTUS... or it should be a Non-White? Anyway, who cares about what people who judge others by their appereances (not their acts) and can give a complete info on the person's morals and ethics based on that?
    Perhaps 10/15% of the American population...
    So enjoy that you are (yet) not alone with your prejudices...

October 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. snowdog

I WAS GOING TO BE A (COMMUNIST)
    FOR HALLOWEE ,BUT
    BARACK OBAMA
    STOLE MY COSTUME

October 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. John the Gulf War Vet

Senator McCain you are no hero, you are in fact a terrorist.

Your campaign advisor & "Transition Chief" William Timmons was a Saddam Hussein lobbyist for 5 years.
    You pal around with Gordon Liddy, domestic terrorist.
    You are a member of "The Project for a New American Century" – a radical extremist terrorist organization.
    Your VP candidate's husband Todd Palin is a domestic terrorist in the Alaskan Independence Party.
    You have given $500,000 to Rashid Khalidi & the PLO
    , a group that McCain himself says are terrorists.
    You have met with Chilean Dictator Pinochet, a terrorist.
    You're coordinated effort to use FOX NEWS, the Bush Administration, your campaign, Sarah Palin, and The Justice Department to commit voter fraud, voter intimidation, & voter suppression is an act of terrorism.

John McCain you are a disgrace to your uniform.

October 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. DON'T LET THEM FOOL U!

DON'T BE FOOLED THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT IS PROPPING UP WALLSTREET UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION. THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNINGS OF SORROWS!

October 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |