October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. beyond the hype

Learn about this man Mr. Obama. Do NOT just go along with the promise of hope… I know we all need things to be better. Obama is not the answer he promises:

From Audacity of Hope:
    "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

From Dreams of My Father:
    "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."
    "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

October 30, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Z

A vote for obama means none of us will have a future. If you still don't understand why obamas plans will destroy this country, please do us all a favor & stay home November 4th.

October 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Love My USA/Do You?

AS a retiree, we can not afford BO with his increase in taxes and his SOCIALISM PLATFORM. BO IS BUYING THIS ELECTION THROUGH CORRUPTED ACORN.

I am disgusted with the bias MEDIA. CNN at the top of the list.
    We don't need BO and all of his corrupt croinies in DC. Ask why Wall Street contributed thousand of dollars to BO's campaing! Connect the DOTS, and you will see that BO and the corrupt democrats, Wall Street, & FAnnie Mae and Mac are the cause of the problem not the solution.

We know more about Joe the Plumber then we do about BO.. This is due to the Bias Media.

BO is nothing more then an educataed Chicago hoodluim.

October 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. Commonwealth of Virginia

Well if you watched the Obama ad last night and saw the family where the husband had to go back to work after retiring to pay for his wife's prescriptions, retirees should be worried. I'm supporting Sen. Obama because he understands what people go through on a day to day basis. He actually gets it, and the other guy does not.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Roger K.

Any sign of the Sarah Palin medical records

October 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Rorschach

"Concerned in MA" -

As of this time there are eleven comments posted here. Five are pro-McCain (or more accurately, attack-Obama).

These comments are posted under names that appear frequently on this forum, always repeating the same allegations.

This leads me to believe that there are a number of paid shills planted by the Republicans.

Are you one of them?

October 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

@ "CONCERNED IN MA"..................... I am a supporter of Sen. Obama, I am a wife and mother, I am NOT being paid.

The POLLS ARE WRONG, as we will see come Nov. 4th! There are millions of us, whom have not been polled.

Many people have NO landline; others are Republicans crossing the line and voting for Sen. Obama.

By the way, are you better off than you were 8 year ago?? Didn't think so.

PS. CNN is not pro-OBAMA, they gave McCain TWO HOURS OF FREE TV TIME last night, first at 7pm and again at 10pm. Stop complaining.

October 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Ugh!

"Impeachment Proceedings Commence" Say 6-12 months after taking office; why? ...Basically for any type of fraud or corruption that is bound to surface; something sinister that Obama will certainly be involved in.

October 30, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Koolaid for seniors

When is John McCain going to come up with a coherent economic plan to help the USA? Talk is cheap. So are your gimmicks.

October 30, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Vince -- Northern California

ALL YOU MCCAIN SUPPORTERS, WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS, BUT YOU ARE ALL EITHER MILLIONAIRES WHO DON'T TO PAY TAXES - EVER .... OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN A CAVE THE LAST EIGHT YEARS, AND THINK MCCAIN IS JUST BRILLIANT WITH HIS NO SOLUTIONS FOR ANYTHING APPROACH ... KIND OF LIKE WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING THE LAST EIGHT YEARS.

October 30, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. KLEE

I recently retired after 40 years in the work force – right after I retired I was diagnosed with cancer – which, lucky for me, was diagnosed early and I am cancer free now. Also, fortunately, I had health insurance, as a retired Federal Employee, and while in the hospital I couldn't help but think of women (and men for that matter) in my same position, without insurance! It was a frightening thought. But to top it off my husband who had planned to work for a few more years became disabled and had to retire early – of course he lost his health insurance (it was at a level we couldn't afford) – but I was able to get him on my health insurance – leaving us struggling – but our heads are above water – I see Obama/Biden ticket – friendlier to our predicament – as I do for others (and there are many) who's income is under $50,000 per year. (before taxes!)

October 30, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Karen

I fit into this category, and thank goodness I still have an intact mind and haven't become stubborn and set in my ways. I was able to overcome my Republican bias, and voted for Obama yesterday.

October 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. America

HEY MCCAIN SUPPORTERS!!!

WE HAVE DONE OUR RESEARCH ON OBAMA AND THAT'S WHY WE ARE VOTING FOR HIM!!! WE'VE ALSO DONE OUR RESEARCH ON JOHN MCCAIN AND THAT'S WHY WE ARE NOT VOTING FOR HIM!!!
    DUH!!!

October 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Chris S.

It's pretty bad when Mccain is drowning and the plumber doesn't show up

October 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. redhead from Toronto

To Herbert C. Pete – Since George W. Bush will noy help veterans such as yourself and neither will John McCain, I suggest you take your plight to Sen. Barack Obama. He just finished speaking in Florida and mentioned that in his adminstration, there will be no more homeless vets, no more turning down for disability, health care or anything else, It's about time someone did something about the Veterans situation in the USA, it is a disgrace to treat our wonderful, men and women in uniform this way. God bless you Sir and THANK YOU so much for your service, I wish you all the luck in the world.VOTE DEMOCRAT

October 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  16. Kina, A Veteran in NYC

it won't matter, Mr./Ms./Mrs. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW...Sen. Obama can't any worse than Pres. Bush...but i betcha Sen. McCain can, and will...just listen to his running mate Gov. Palin...if this woman is the best VP this c'try can come up with, the God help us all...u included...BTW, what's the problem with where Sen. Obama comes from?...and tell me this, too, Mr./Ms./Mrs. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW, who were the real teachers of Pres. Bush?...did that matter to u 4yrs ago, or 8yrs ago?...i hope u've already achieved your American Dream...God Bless the Armed Forces and the United States of America.

Obama/Biden 08

Kina.

October 30, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. johnrj08

Tim, I think you're the one who needs to use your head in this election. You have, apparently, bought into the half-truths and blatant lies that McCain/Palin have been spoon-feeding to you for the last month. What proof is there ANYWHERE that Obama signed a binding agreement to accept public financing? Where? Just because John McCain says Obama broke a promise, you blindly accept it and call a man you've never met a liar. You are exactly the audience that McCain and Palin are trying to sway with their despicable attack campaign. You sound like the kind of voter who would actually buy into the suggestion that Obama is a Marxist, socialist, terrorist, communist Muslim who secretly hates Israel. If you're not, you need to ask yourself if a man who runs that kind of campaign deserves to be President of the United States.

October 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. az voter

I am getting close to social security benefit age and our nation's economy fills me with fear.

My primary investment is my home and its value has fallen by thirty percent with no bottom in sight.

I guess I'll just have to work until they pry my computer mouse from my cold dead fingers.

But in all seriousness, I strongly believe that the economic confidence will return to the world and my future will start improve as soon as Obama is elected President.

If Palin is elected in 2008 I am back to the cold dead fingers reality.

October 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. Dave, Central Illinois

"Concerned in MA", you are correct. I posted comments using several different aliases and from different IP addresses. The pro-Obama posts made it over 75%, while the pro-McCain made it 30-40% of the time. CNN is the propoganda engine and the Obamite-youth provide the rants. Welcome to the "changed" America. Working people are scr$wed.

October 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Jon

McCain is reminding me more and more of Nikita Khrushchev's ill temper. When does he take his shoe off and pound it on the table? Any day now. Image where we would be if McCain had his way with social security? Broke.

October 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  21. DebM, Allentown, PA

To Obama is not the Messiah...

I can't respond on the Campaign Ad ticker because it's closed, but yes, I did vote. It's called Absentee Ballot.

Doofus.

October 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. Peter in Virginia

How can anyone trust, to be the next president of the USA, someone who can only explain what he would do in terms of what the other candidate says or does...??? Someone who changes his tune every other week, who says he knows how to find Osama Bin Laden but won't tell our own military how?

Lets face it, Sen Obama sounds and acts presidential....McCain sound like a lost little boy who cannot even control his own campaign...but claims could control Congress and the world....

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor...VOTE OBAMA !!!!!!

October 30, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. arc, Lugano CH

Senator Obama laid out his economic plan without attacking McCain's character and ideas.

Inversely, all McCain seems capable of is appealling to the lowest common denominator of ignorance and fear in people who don't have the education and experience to think globally and progressively.

This year's election season truly revealed the True Face of rural, conservative white America for the entire world to see; as best displayed in the effigy this morning in Kentucky of Senator Obama.

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. Mickie

The elderly should be VERY concerned since John McCain plans to cut a huge chunk of medicare benefits and to restrict eligibility. Of course his dear Mother doesn't have to worry since John's "Beer Barbie" has enough $$$ in trust funds for John. But people like me won't be able to go back to work (if anybody is able to find a job at any age) and pre-existing conditions won't be covered even if you get medical coverage.

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Penny

Latest joke from the GOP....calling Obama's graduated income tax a "socialist" plan.......Graduated income tax was initiated by REPUBLICAN president Ford, and continued under REPUBLICAN Reagan. What fools they are!!

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |