October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. KLEE

Regarding "our friend" Joe the Plumber? On second thought – I'm beginning to suspect that this was an "intentional" miscommunication – did you see "Joe's" interview at the Palin rally – ooooh boy......what a mistake that was – the guy knows nothing – and is pretending to be worried about America – when he is really only worried about himself. McCain really didn't want him to show up in the first place. OBAMA/BIDEN 2008 and beyond – no tricks and gimmicks campaign – trying to solve the real problems we are faced with....

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. Nola

Eight years ago some voters made the worse decision of their lifes- they voted for George Bush. Today each and everyone of us have suffered because of Bush. I don't want us to stay on the same path that is going only down the hole – It is time for the American People take a good hard look at the situation of this country and decide to go down another path – one that requires each of us to join together and get American back on her feet.

At this time I only hear one candidate discussing ideas that might address the number of issues affecting this country – Obama – the only words I hear from McCain is complaining and whining – this is not the time for whiners.

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. Chips

McCain Speach.

Obama
    Obama
    Obama
    Do you believe me now?
    Obama
    Obama
    Do you believe me now?
    Obama
    Obama
    Please believe me?

I fought for you and i got the scares too prove it. Well look like you lost that fight.

Vote Obama!

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. Papasan in Arizona

McCain is sitting on a ton of cash for his retirement.
    Nobody I know thinks McCain cares about Retirees, he has how many homes, his wife makes how many millions a year, give me a break, this guy is out for number one, MCCAIN!

October 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  5. Tom

Concerned in MA
    It is a function of the abundance if you go to faux (fox) news you will find that the bias is in the other direction. there is no need for concern if you want to read pro mcShame then just head on over there. However if you want really wanr feel for public then peruse both and others to. I find on average the comments swing in BO's favor.

October 30, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. Christine CT Ind.

BOYCOTT JOE THE PLUMBER!

He's like the Republican Campaign's William Hung!

October 30, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

OBAMA HAS NO RECORD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE HE WAS "CLONED"

October 30, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. Lucy

Fixed incomes, mutual funds tanking, and housing prices dropping to an all time low and your net worth dropped 50% since last month....is there any thing to look forward too.

Oh yeah, and medicare won't cover nursing homes until you spend down everything to $5000. The Golden years don't look very bright. Guess everyone has to work until they die. However, job loss is probably going to be over a million for the year and finding a job over 50 years old is considered extremely difficult. Ain't life "grand" for grandma and grandpa.

October 30, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. onelove

Can't wait to say President Obama.

He is going to win because he has the best plan for America!!!

October 30, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Obambi

I am amazed that CNN and their paid bloggers waste their time smearing "Joe" and Sarah Palin–Joe and sarah get more letters than the "Messiah" articles. The left is terrified of Joe and Sarah. They do not even care anymore that McCain is catching up in the polls–proves that hatred is sexist and against "americans" like Joe–shame on Cafferty and CNN!

October 30, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. The Messiah is coming!!!

All bow down to the true one God OBAMA!

October 30, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  12. 400 families own half the country!

and they are stealing the other half right now!

you think you'll join the 400 club one day?

enjoy your capitalism until that day!

October 30, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. IowaMom

I have done a LOT of research myself and I have already voted for who I think is the best for not only myself but for my children and their futures. Why do all repubs think that they are the only ones that research their candidates?

October 30, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. AD

"Obama show"-

We've done our research for the last 4 years. We know who he is and what he stands for.

Thanks for shouting your nonsense though.

October 30, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. MARY,FLORIDA

Palin/Plumber for 2012,Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha ha go republicans.How do you spell loser, R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N.

October 30, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. Larry

Retiree:
    If you think the current administration has done a good job for you, just take a good look at how your retirement funds have lost a ton of value and consider would have happened to social secuity if Bush and McCain had their way and privatized social security.
    If you still plan on voting for McCain you are voting for more of the same failed policies and you better go back to work. Oops, there aren't any jobs available. You better apply for walfare. Oops, McCain froze welfare funds. Better call Dr. Kevorkian.

October 30, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Mark

Obama/Biden at least have policy and new ideas. McCain/Palin have nothing but attacks and venom. You want my vote? Try telling me what you will do rather than spewing the crap you have been.

October 30, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Lorrie

This message is for Tim regarding Obama's "broken promise" about campaign financing:

FYI... go to factcheck.org and you'll see McCain, himself, tried to get released from public financing in Feb. Why did he want to go back on his decision back then? Isn't that a broken promise?

I also remember John McCain looking Americans in the eye and promising that he was going to run an honorable, clean campaign. Yeah, right! Some feel that McCain has run the dirtiest campaign for a Republican since Richard Nixon!

I'm a Moderate Republican that will be voting for Obama!

October 30, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. John

I'm a 64 year old retiree and the Bush/McCain economic policies have devastated my 401K and my other investments. I paid off my mortgage and auto loans and I have no outstanding bills but, I don't trust McCain to run our economy. I will not vote for any more trickle down nonsense, I am voting Democrat all the way because we desperately need change from the republicans.

October 30, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Dani

It's really sad to see John McCain is relying of "Joe the plumber to help his campaign. Another tatic. Where is the long term strategy to help retirees.

October 30, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Bob Stephens

I am retired and there is no way I want to see McSame in the White House. He wants to destroy my Social Security payments and Medicare. Thanks, but no thanks.

October 30, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. Woman with enough credentials to be VP

HEY OBAMA SUPPORTERS,

BEFORE YOU VOTE PLEASE PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON OBAMA. DON'T LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.

Well, I'd listen to you more if you weren't shouting

WHO REALLY IS OBAMA???

An American just like you and me. He's the son of an immigrant and an educated woman. He's live at home and abroad. Educated in American universities and dedicated his career to public service. Next question?

WHERE DOES HE REALLY COME FROM ???????

See above. Kansas, Illinois, Hawaii and Indonesia. He was born in America else he'd not be able to run for president (e.g., Arnold Schwarznegger cannot run for President as he was born in Austria).

WHO WAS IS REAL TEACHERS????

Who were yours sir? Grammar clearly isn't your strongest suit. Also, multiple punctuation only makes you look crazy or stupid, as an FYI.

DOES THIS BOTHER YOU AT ALL?????

Not a bit.

PLEASE WAKE UP BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!!!!

Been awake for the past 8 years and watched this country become something I'm ashamed to admit I live in. Personally, I'm ashamed that we haven't woken up as a nation until now and I'm happy to say that if Obama does win, it will slow down my desire to emigrate to the United Kingdom.

This sort of alarmist mindset (as you have exhibited here) is exactly why we're in the position we are in. If you continue to stick your head in the sand, you will find that when you finally look up, the country you claim to love will be a husk of it's former self.

October 30, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  23. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Retirees, when they retire, don't expect to re-enter the workforce–and when retirees start to get "worried," and have to consider returning to work or delay their retirement–not very good for any Presidental candidate.

October 30, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  24. McAin't & Failin

I find it curious that McCain doesn't mention EVER that the foundation on which Ayers and Obama sat was run by the Woods, very conservative friends of McCain's who gave money to the republicans Or for that matter that while he served as chairman of the International Republican Institute (IRI), McCain distributed several grants to the Palestinian research center co-founded by Khalidi, including one worth half a million dollars.
    A 1998 tax filing for the McCain-led group shows a $448,873 grant to Khalidi’s Center for Palestine Research and Studies for work in the West Bank. I seems to be missed that Obama said that he would use public financing if both sides agreed to it. People from both camps sat down and did not come to agreement. Oh and then there's McCain talking about running a positive campaign with no negative ads. Hmmmm. Is that bad judgement (as in not standing up to his campaign people and picking the running mate HE wanted)or just plain old lying???? And if he is the maverick that he claims, how come he has been in Washington for 25 years and not much really has changed? How come the change didn't come in his first 5 years???? What a hypocrite! Vote for Obama!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. djb

I have researched Barack Obama's background and read his books. I was impressed with this young man even before he made a run for the presidency. Nothing that he has said or done convinces me that he will be anything but the best for our country.

October 30, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |