October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Brian

Concerned in MA wants an answer....

Republicans are blogging and watching Fox News, not CNN.

October 30, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. rob

to Mc CAin / Palin voters–DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND REALLY CHECK THEM OUT. THEY AREN'T WHAT YOU THINK..

WHY CAN'T THEY TELL THE TRUTH ? EVERYTHING IS A LIE OR A WINK .
    WHY DO THEY HIDE THEIR MEDICAL RECORDS ? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING ? ANTI-DEPRESSANTS?

HOW CAN MC CAIN BE DIFFERENT THAN BUSH IF HE VOTED FOR HIM 90% OF THE TIME?

A LEADER SHOULD HAVE AN EDUCATION –HE HAS NONE AND HERS ISN'T IMPRESSIVE

October 30, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. NoMcSame

Obama can synchronize the split-second shift from national programming to a live rally in Florida and hit the mark within a second. McCain can't get a loser unlicensed tax-dodger to a rally. There you have it, America.

October 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. katiec

CNN,
    Was so proud of you these last few days as you posted comments from every source, every opinion. It was great.
    Now, am not even reaching the moderation stage??

October 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  5. Undecided Voter in NC

Obamie the Commie vs. McCain the Stain. I can't decide between them and here's my thoughts on the matter.

What I like about Obama is that he is going to give us free money... the problem is, I don't know how much my check will be. Will it be enough to cover my bills and expenses and maybe a little bit to have some fun with? I looked at his website and watched his TV show last night but I didn't hear any specific numbers. Plus, he seems shady so he could be lying about the free money altogether.

If I'm not going to get a check then I'm going to have to work to make enough money to cover my expenses. If I have to work then I have to have a job and I think McCain's policies will probably create more jobs in the general economy. So that is what I like about him.

However, if I could just get some kind of guarantee from Obama on a set amount of money per month then I could make a better decision.

October 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. Maggie from peterborough

These types of human interest stories are fine for taking up space but why isn't CNN focusing on Sara Palin not releasing her medical records like some other news networks?

The fact Sara, without thinking, said she would release her medical records against the GOP advisors tells it all. She is only 44 years old and should have a limited number of records to reveal unless of course she only has records of giving birth to 4 children.

Should the latter be true then it is very important people know the truth so they can judge who they might vote to lead their country. Get on it CNN and don't let up until the truth is known.

October 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. blaising

To all retirees out there: Barack Obama has your best interests at heart. He's the only candidate that will truely make a positive difference in your lives.

McCain will run your interests, hopes, and dreams into the ground. He doesn't give a cr*p about you. He has no idea what your concerns are. How could he? He's never had anything other than a cushy government job his whole life! He is clueless when it comes to the private sector...it's all he knows!

October 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. Jeff in Illinois

"Concerned in MA", I've visited Fox News' article commentaries as well. I do like how they post everything, but, if you take a look, most of the comments there are from right-wingers. Just about everyone is aware that there are leanings in both networks. This explains what you see as bias.

October 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Youngin4B.O

I watched the obama show
    and it is by far the best show
    i have ever watched
    B.O 08

October 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. Joe in Michigan

The self imploding Republ;ican party is so outdated. For any semi conscious person, all you need to do is look at what the last 8 years brought to us Americans. How can the candidate of the Republican party say he doesn't agree with it's philosophy and still be their guy? Seems like it doesn't sound quite right. All I hear from the McCain-Palin ticket is that they don't like Obama, yet not one, I mean not one little bit of selling their own agenda. i HEAR THEM TALK ABOUT TAXATION.

October 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Corey W

Welcome to the Obama show needs to grow up an in a hurry. Can you say President Elect Barrack Obama on Nov. 4th and on Jan. 20 President Barrack Obama. Get use to it and shut up!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Vote McCain/Palin and send your kids/grandkids to die in some needless war somewhere.

I'm a month shy of 66 and trying to retire, and since all I'll have is Social Security, McCain scares me to death. He'd destroy that system in a heartbeat if he could.

I've already voted Obama - and to all you naysayers, I am a white woman who has worked my entire life and voted in every election since I was eligible at age 21. I'm neither ignorant, uninformed, or on any kind of welfare and never have been.

To the republicans out there screaming about living under Obama - welcome to the world the rest of us have been living in under George Bush.

October 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  13. karen-phoenix

As a 64 year old republican grandmother I'm voting Obama/Biden for my grandchildren's future!!!

October 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. Noah

How have trickle down economics failed? We just experienced 25 years of uninterrupted growth in GDP. During the Bush administration we had a record 55 straight months of economic growth. This current environement is largely a failure of the Democrats because they made it nearly impossible for banks and other lenders to turn down unqualified applicants and as a result people who should have never purchased homes defaulted on those loans. Liberals ignore all of the relevant facts to fit into their narrow little vew of the world.

October 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. karen-phoenix

October 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Tulsa

Palin and her Round Table has closed for anymore bloggers, so I will write it in here.............This is a meeting where she will have camera's showing her and the Foreign Policy supporters of McCain .......but no reporters are allowed in the meeting, just a photo op...........Palin doesn't need more photo ops.........she needs to show the people that she knows what she is talking about in this meeting, the public is the ones that need to see that she qualified when it comes to Foreign Policies.........shutting the doors to the camera's and to the American people isn't doing anything to help her standing with the people of this country

October 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. lcs

What has Obama promised to do for the country besides more taxes for the hard working people of America? Yes, the country is not in the best situation right now, but I'm pretty sure Bush did not create the housing crisis or cause the gas prices to skyrocket over the last year. Please explain to me which economic policies have hurt the economy. I'm pretty sure nobody was complaining about the value of their 401K 2 years ago before the Democratic Congress took power. (I am not saying it is the Democrats fault, just making a point) All Obama does is use the bad economy as a campaign strategy. Raising taxes does not help a struggling economy. I guess everyone forgot to actually listen to what Nobama was actually saying before becoming completely mezmorised by his meaningless words. What is he actually going to do to help the economy? Please explain, because I don't understand.

By the way, I am not racist. Everyone out there crying race needs to get over themselves. Nobody cares!!!

October 30, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. David, Silver Spring, MD

Retirees have been around long enough to remember when Ronald Reagan first touted the virtues of the Service Economy and Supply Side Economics. Before that, they could remember stay-at-home moms and single-earner households. Now, both parents have to work, our kids are raised by strangers, and the only thing Supply Side economics has done is concentrate more wealth in fewer hands since the Great Depression. The Service Economy has turned out to be we all work at WalMart, selling poorly-made and hazardous goods made in China because it's all we can afford.

Retirees know it's time for change. They know what their grandchildren want and what's best for their grandchildren.

That's why retirees are voting for Barack Obama.

October 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. RRR

In the words of his running mate:
    "Mark my words, if you remember anything at all", those who vote for Obama will be tested in the first fews months if he becomes President.
    He wants goverment to oversee everything. Can we really say the goverment in the past 25 years has been so efficient they should have total control.
    Just off the coast of Florida is an island that asked for " Change" fifty years ago and look at some of the changes:
    1) Fidel said the poor should have the same opportunities as the rich.
    Yes, everybody is poor now. The goverment ownes everything.
    2) He would make sure everyone owned a home.
    Yes, he took all the homes, and now tells everyone were to live.
    3) He would have open discussions with the world.
    Yes, Chavez, Russia, Iran, etc.
    I could go on,but its pointless. You must go out and Vote, but really listen to what is being said. Words are sometimes put in a manner that can be mis-interpreted.

October 30, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Candy West Virginia

Unless you are a millionaire, you need to vote Obama. If you are a millionaire and care about this country you need to vote Obama. If you hate this country, don't care what happens to it and desire another war and care about the rich only vote mccain/palin.

October 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. McCain!

To John Boy (12:56)

I hear you Loud & Clear, and I agree with you 100%

Hey, did you see that Arrogant "Dog & Pony Infomercial" last night?

Go McCain!!!!

October 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. sue

JohnBoy –

Not all of Obama's supporters are left-wing liberals or even democrats. There are a lot of moderates – with party affiliations and independents – who support Obama.

I'm pretty sure McCain doesn't have just right-wing neo-cons supporting him either.

Both McCain and Obama supporters need to take a step back and labeling each other right-wing neo-cons and left-wing liberals – there are supporters for both candidates who are independent moderates. Oh and by they way – to win the election – the winning candidate needs the independent moderates... so stop labeling us with your slanted outlook and let us choose the candidate we want to put in office. By calling us names – you only drive us away from your party (republican or democrat).

October 30, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  23. Gary

We've got a pool going...... want to get in? When and where will all 4 candidates go on their "vacations" immediately after the elections?
    Sample responses: Sen. McCain to AZ – he already owns a few places there: Gov. Palin ; typical pool selection is "The Caribbean"! Sen. Obama; most pool selections imply Hawaii, but probably for family concerns. Sen. Biden; MEXICO! And all responses so far imply they'll all take off within two days after the elections are completed! Looks like we ALL finally get a breather! HA!

October 30, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. John the Gulf War Vet

Senator McCain you are no hero, you are a terrorist.

Your campaign advisor was a Saddam Hussein lobbyist for 5 years.
    You pal around with Gordon Liddy, domestic terrorist.
    You are a member of "The Project for a New American Century" – a radical extremist terrorist orginization.
    Your VP candidate's husband Todd Palin is a domestic terrorist in the Alaskan Independence Party.
    You have given $500,000 to PLO, a group that McCain himself says are terrorists.
    You have met with Chilean Dictator Pinochet, a terrorist.
    Your using FOX NEWS, the Bush Administration, The Justice Department to commit voter intimidation & suppression is a act of terrorism.
    You encourage the torture of POW's.

John McCain you are a disgrace to your uniform.

October 30, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. Wally

I don't trust Retiree and their experience. I trust the Maverick Sarah Palin!

October 30, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |