October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Respect!

(Hey Moderator, This Is Woth Posting, If You Read What This Guy Posted!)

To John (1:17)

As a Veteran, you should be ashamed of yourself, simply don't post if you can't do so without slandering Senator McCain.

If I were as hateful as you, I would say that I hope "OBAMA" takes away your benefits, though I would never wish that.

I wish you well sir, as a Veteran you deserve it, as does Senator McCain!

October 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. Pete

Noah:

The republicans had control of the White House and Congress for six years, so why didn't they blow the whistle on and put an end to the legislation that forced financial institutions to give mortgages to everyone? Blaming this on the democrats is not a good argument.

October 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Rogue Palin

Why do you guys hate Obama so much, everything that is coming out of the right wing extremists camp like McPalin are lies. They can't find anything wrong with Obama so they make it up.

we know what you really mean is that he is black with a muslim name, that's why you guys hate him. Get over it! He is not a socialist or secret muslim.

For the people out there criticizing Obama's donations, all I have to say is that he is extremely successful and you are jealous of his popularity. ANd this from the same people who kept saying that 13houses makes mcCain successful. Well at least Obama is using his donations for the campaigning whereas Palin is using it for herself.

October 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Greg Smith, Clifton Heights PA

Obama is an Anti-American, he hates what America stands for. Vote for John McCain/ Sarah Palin for President and Vice President. These two are true Ameicans and will fight for you. The Democratic Party only fights for themselves.

October 30, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. petena

Retirees: If you vote McCain, your pension and social security will be fizzled like the wink Palin gave you. Try getting a job being over 50 years old. Anf if you are 60 or 70 plus, forgeti it. He already said he would tax you social security and medicare. Next you will have to pay taxes on that too. PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BE FOOLED. VOTE OBAMA

October 30, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Oh Please

I WANT MY 50K TAX FREE, WITH OBAMA, AND I WANT MEDICARE, AND MY SOCIAL SECURITY. HE PROMISED IT I WANT IT AND IF HE IS A LIAR, I'LL SHOUT IT LOUD AND CLEAR. I TIRED OF PAYING FOR ALL THE DEAD BEATS AND THE MORONS THAT SIGNED FOR MORTGAGES THEY KNEW THEY COULD NOT AFFORD. I AND MY WIFE PAID OFF OUR HOUSE AND LIVE MOSTLY WITHIN OUR MEANS. THE OBAMA FOLLOWERS WANT THE MEAL BUT NOT WORK TO PAY FOR IT NO MAGIC CAN GET YOU WHAT YOU NEED ONLY WORK AND SACRIFICE. ALL THE SAD STORIES SURROUNDING OBAMA AND HIS CROWD YOU ARE ALL CRYING A RIVER AND FORGET HOW YOU GOT TO WHERE YOU ARE.

UNDECIDED STILL

October 30, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. KLEE

I stole the following from another poster – interesting point!

"Corporations have been enthroned …. An era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people… until wealth is aggregated in a few hands … and the Republic is destroyed."

- Abraham Lincoln

October 30, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Charlie Bradley

Wally "I don't trust retire and their experience?"

HELLO it is the spirit, wisdom, intellect of the retirees that put food on the table for their children, got them through school. even sitting through one boring school play or foootball game after another all while managing to work 40-50 hour weeks year in and year out. and for the McBush/Palin policies to TAKE AWAY from our elders says VOLUMES about their real intent.

Vote for a real chance for ALL Americans
    OBAMA BIDEN

October 30, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. george from alaska

retirees (and all of us) are appropriately concerned about the future.

if the future holds gov sarah palin as the leader of the republican party, it is a sad day for america. as an alaskan, i have had a front row seat on her backstabbing, lying & cheating her way into power. all i can say is beware america and wake up!

i'm not happy with the choices we have in this critical time, but practicality screams for real change...

October 30, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. dizizi31

Wow Older American's realizing their dreams are all but gone. A vote for a candidate who doesn't take the needs of the people into consideration is a wasted use of the vote.

I'm a retiree also. I've seen my 401k and savings deminished. I'm concerned about the future also.

A vote for God's Kingdom is a vote for peace and prosperity.

October 30, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. oh no

JohnBoy

enlighten me as to what a "real american" is?

October 30, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  12. Rogue Palin

To "John the Gulf War Vet" : You said it like it is! I'm with you 100%.

Thanks

October 30, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. Dixie AZ

I am 65 white retired. I do not understand any retiree who votes for McCain. Those like me will pay no tax under Obama (if I have earned 50k or less). I don't trust McCain with Social Security or medicare. I like Obamas attitude overall. I DO NOT LIKE THE ATTITUDE OF McCAIN/PALIN

October 30, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. 2 yrs and its a Republican Congress again.

Obama says he will raise taxes on the 250k income level, I understand that this will not take effect for 10yrs. is that true and if so why, and if not what are the chances the soon tobe Democratic Congress will be a Republican majority in 2 years, anyone think different.

2012 ;-)

October 30, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  15. nelson

There are no plans from mcsame/falin camp that make sense
    to me .They are off in lala land somewhere, neither knows what the other is doing or saying and God help U.S. if they get in the Alaska/White House... I can see Canada from here.. almost...
    I guess I am qualified as an International expert, I wonder if (jtp)
    will run with falin in 2012

October 30, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. Very concern

I was inspired by the positive, excellent and refreshing InFomercial last night given by Senator Obama. It signifies what America is now and his mission of helping us out of this troubling time. It is money-spent well, very uplifting and Obama compaign donor should be proud of him.

A respectable Senator Obama exhibited his steadiness and enormous intellectual capability to problem-solving. He is distinguish and presidential with genuine concern for America...ready to unite...ready to lead.

I hope people of America will be behind him to keep America great, nationally and globally. A great America is the great future to the up-coming generations. I truly believe dignified and steadfast Senator Obama is the leader we need to secure this future for them.

October 30, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. Cynthia; Bham

I have been watching this election from beginning until now and have no doubt in my mind that Senator Barack Obama is the person for the job. As I see it if you make over $250,000 a year, maybe the McCain/Palin ticket is for you but if you make under $250,000 without a doubt Barack Obama is the person for you. For me it's really simple. I don't want the possibility of social security being privatized, I don't want the $5,000 what John McCain is giving for health insurance because I already have it and it would be seen as taxable income, I don't want to see my relatives having to go over to Iraq ever again (most of done 4 or 5 tours there). The list goes on and on.......

October 30, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. John

To all of you neo-libs,

I truly hope you get what you ask for. I hope you groupies get your rock star elected. His dangerous policies will not affect my wealth but it will affect your own personal growth. By giving welfare recipients more crack money, this will only keep them in the ghetto, not make them rise above it. To you naive college students who think this election is just a popularity contest, if you think finding a job now is tough, wait until your savior kills small business and runs off the large corporations to other countries with his tax hikes. Too bad that you will never be able to invest in your own future in the stock market because his raising of the capital gains tax will kill the stock market and force the above corporations to leave the country. To anyone who cares about the Constitution, this man is dangerous. To him, the Constitiution is "just words" muttered by the founding fathers and has made this country the greatest on Earth. This will be just like the fall of Rome when this document is discarded. The bright side is in 10 years when this country is the poorest ex-superpower, you can still blame the republicans. FDR tried his best to kill this country and almost did if it weren't for WWII and this guys is FDR II. I'm not worried about me and my family, but I am worried about the young mind numb kids who will vote for this dangerous, dangerous man.

October 30, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  19. Nyte

People talk about Mccain's military background as if that warrants good experience and make him a hero. His own POW's that were there with him don't even like him. Plus he got caught by the enemy. Getting caught does not make you a hero, especially when you crack under the pressure and tell everything. John Mccain is listed as a traitor. I ask you repubs who always ask if we know Obama...do you know McCain??????? Listen to the veterans who were there with him and hear what they have to say about John and how he tried to silence their truth. I don't know much about politics but I know I don't want a Commander in Chief who's only track record show he lead people into captivity....blundering fool he is.

October 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. lcs

I agree Noah 1:06

People actually need to look at the reality of the situation instead of listening to the continuous...The last eight years of Bush!!! the economy didn't start have trouble until the last year or two. Had the election been two years ago, nobody would have been complaining about the economy and Nobama would have nothing to run on.

October 30, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. Bonnie Gaus

I went through and read all of the Post. I have to say, it bothers me, alot, to read all the post about our senior's. I personally know alot of senior's that shop at Wal-mart and it's not because they can't afford other places, actually there are cheaper places, it's because that's where they like to go. I also think that these types of remarks are pulling away from their intelligence. I believe alot of our older society also believes in God, and the bible says, Thou shall not kill, that also mean's babies, the bible also says. A MAN WILL MARRY A WOMEN. Now please understand I love all people, I even personally know some that are in same sex relationships and are friends with them, they know what my believes are on this issue and they respect that. I do not try to change their way of life, that is not for me to judge, but I do pray for them. So once again, lets get down to who is best for our COUNTRY based on their ACHEIVEMENTS....

BG

October 30, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Tough Lady, NC

Retiree Early Voted for Obama-Biden. Tired of a different McCain-Palin gimmick everyday, Tired of Joe the non plumber. Tired of McCain's pick of Palin. Tired of McCains negative ads. So Tired of Dividing our Country by Region, Income and Race. We are all Americans.

October 30, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. BeauMan

Obama supporters just hate it when you move away from his camera appeal and very talented speaking ability, and focus on his lack of substance, verifiable lies, disturbing past relationships, the lies (again), and where his liberal agenda is focused. So blinded by his charisma that you don't even see what is underneath.

October 30, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. Greed is not good

McWarmonger absolutely wants to continue the same economic policies of trickle-down favoritism that rewards millionaires, billionaire, and CEO's. There is NO difference between Bush and McWarmonger.

Obama simply wants to impose intervention policies that mirror those of our nation's best President: FDR during the last economic crisis.

October 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. John

The 250k threshhold is already down to 150k per biden. When these social programs cannot be funded by that, it will be down to less than 100k then 50k and you will all turn on your man. If you believe any campaign promise from either party, this must be your first election.

October 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |