October 30th, 2008

Battleground 2008: Retirees take a new look

, ,
Government intervention to fix the economy is 'absolutely necessary,' Cameron Graham says.

(CNN) - Even before the current economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the third of four parts, we talked to retirees, who say they're not only worried about their own finances, and whether they may need to work again, but about others, and the kind of world that their children and grandchildren will live in.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

CNN's special report on battleground voters continues Friday with a look at unemployed voters.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Nyte

What is the nation in debt for??? 100trillion? And some of you got the nerve to crucify Obama before he even reach office. John; you should be a psychic since you are so good at predicting the future. He hasn't even won yet and you guys are already claiming the end of the world. You guys are pretty pathetic to think that way. I guess you feel Palin is a smart lady to...huh?? Just because she shares the same racist views you do don't make her nor McCain qualified to lead. How do you think Obama is winning??? Why does he have more campaign money than Mccain?? Obviously he's a lot smarter about business and making money than his opponent. Don't get mad now that the table is starting to turn. You existence is shrinking like cheap close washed in the wrong temperature and dried to long. How does your fall to the bottom feels.

October 30, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  2. Maggie from Virginia

McCain's supporters consists of the following:

23% – Approve of Bush
    20% – Racists
    ________________________
    43% – Losers

October 30, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. go away mongers- Ventura,CA

As one who has lost MUCH in my 401K- all I can say is that the republican policies and corporate greed have brought us to this place. They can spread all the fear, smear and hate they want but the bottom line comes up the same. gop-NOT GOOD FOR AMERICA!
    ENOUGH!

October 30, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. John

to
    Maggie from Virginia

I see now. Voting for obama just because you are black does not make you a racist, however, if you vote for the white guy, you are a racist. Makes sense to no one.

October 30, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. Connie from Indiana

To all seniors: You had all better wake up if you think McSenile will not cut our social security benefits, screw up Medicare. McSenile has already said he will put a freeze on spending, think about it. By the way criticizing Obama as a socialist is all but funny since McSenile receives over 1900.00 dollars from social security each month, which is a socialist program . LOL. VOTE EARLY INDIANA , VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN.
    Connie from "BLUE" Indiana

October 30, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. therealist

If you want your children and grandchildren to be saddled with more and more government spending...., vote Obama.

October 30, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. John

To Nyte

It's called history of economics. These broad social programs have been tried before and have hurt this country. Remember smiling jimmy carter? His social programs gave us double digit inflation, double digit unemployment, and double digit interest rates. Anyone that knows anything about history and economics can predict the future and outcome of such dangerous policies. It's not magic.

Good luck to you.

October 30, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. rightytighty

Obama supporters breakdown into 3 groups... The super rich, emotionally bankrupt and really stupid..

October 30, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. John

To Nyte,

I will never be in the bottom with you. I will always have mine, on the other hand, lemmings will reap what they sew.

October 30, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. John McCain is a racist

LATINOS

Back in February of this year a reporter asked Mccain about Latinos. Mccain replied "They are good for manual labor." The reporter then asked "Is that all?" Mccain smiled and turned away from the reporter who didn't have a camera but he filmed it on his cell phone that is why mccain didn't think he was live. Very interesting to know what mccain thinks of Latinos

October 30, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. MEOMY

I am sick an dtired of the joe the plumber if he is such a hard working indiviudal why doesn't he go back to work instead of being on
    Palin's band wagon already. How much is the rnc paying for him and his wardrobe.

October 30, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Marc

To John (Again)
    'FDR's polices extended the depression by at least 7 years'?
    Right... Too bad HISTORY disagrees with you.
    Fact: His policies fought unemployement, de-regulation of the financial system (establishing parameters that had to be followed) and poverty.
    So when the WWII started (even before Pearl Harbor) the US were ready to first help UK stand alone against Hitler, then go to the fight and even help the URSS a little. How? Because the crisis had already been long gone, the economy was strong and so the country.
    Fact: It wasn't the WWII that ended the crisis (I am repeating myself but I want to make it clear). Check any valid and independent source if you don't trust the Gov. database, but you will see that the New Deal worked, regardless of how much you want that it didn't.
    Fact: FDR had skeletons in his closet? Of course he had! I am not trying to make a saint of him, but he saw what the country needed to be back on the track and he did it all, and was successfull.
    Before he had to lead the country in the war against the Axis...

October 30, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. John

My portfolio is down too but I have 15 years to wait it out. Remember, you haven't lost anything until you sell and now is the time to buy. There are some great bargains in the stock market right now so if you miss this current stock market crash, too bad. I plan on doing well with this depressed market and am buying a ton of stocks and funds.

In the eyes of obama supporters, I suppose this makes me an evil man because I can buy into the market. It's simple work hard like I have and you can have it too. I have not stepped on the backs of anyone or hurt anyone to become successful. Stop already with the marxist comments about it's not fair for someone to have when others don't have. This is why we are a free country, get off yer azzes and make something of yourselves, you'll enjoy it more than asking for handouts. I started at the bottom, no money, no car, hardly any food while in school, sleeping in my car at times, no school grants. I had 90k in school loans that I had to pay for myself. No one helped me. So tell me how bad you have it and how different I was than you are now.

October 30, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. obama central (a.k.a. sheep herding)

To Karen who wrote...,

A major reason for the financial meltdown was the de-regulation that is such a favored position of Bush and McCain. When you remove regulation and oversight, you get chaos.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. Please read why the banking crisis happened and you will find it was Carter, Clinton and the REGULATION of Fannie Mae.

And while you're at it, when you realize the charimatic speaker has nothing good to offer, how about coming over to the right side, the smart choice, McCain.

October 30, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Chester Mealer

I’m going to laugh my butt off when Uncle Joe Bidden finds out what its like to set in the back of the bus. This country needs a good kick in the rear and when Obama gets in the Whitehouse it’s going to rain change, change that you voted for because you followed the piper.

October 30, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. rusell

To john mcains uncle, we done the research on Obama and so has everyone else , but the question should be do your research on mcain/palin you'll find a whole lot more corruption under mcain/palin that you would Obama

October 30, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. RealityKing

If you hate your grandchilden.., vote for Obama's tax and spend utopia pipe dream.

October 30, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. Tom, KS

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

The Financial Times and now The Economist have both endorsed Obama for the presidency. Why is it none of the Main Stream Media outlets have covered this while allowing McShame and Failin to keep up their attack about Barack being a socialist. Clearly the top economic magazines in this country understand that that is simply not true and that Obama has the right plan to lead us into a more prosperous future. Please CNN start doing your job and call out McCain when he is clearly lying.

October 30, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Bruce

@ Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

So you only have your Social Seucrity to live off of soon huh? Could it possibly be because you didn't think about your future when you were younger? Everyone makes life choices and if you think just Social Security is enough than you are really a sad person. You made bad choices and didn't think of your future, THAT is why you are in the position youa re in. It won't be McCain's fault if you can't survive, it will be because of uyour lack of preparing for retirement. You are just like the rest of the Obama people in here. Only concerned about what you can get out of the governement for free and do it off the backs of all the real hardworking people. The America I knew is gone. The left-wingers are about to rape this country. You all get what you deserve.

October 30, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Nyte

Honestly ,John, Obama is not Carter and Carter did not follow the blunderous events of a Bush. Bush messed this country up royally and the next president is under extremely high scrutiny to fix all this crap in a hurry. You can't dispute that, the whole world knows that. I WOULD NOT want to be Obama because the mess that Bush put us in is gonna bleed heavily into his carreer...almost as if it was his fault or he did it himself. And I wasn't talking about policy items that can easily be researched that make you a psychic. i'm talking about the comments about him giving money to drug addicts and keeping "them" in the ghetto. Your political views are yours to own and thats what this blog should stick to. Politics! Not racist stereotype comments. All drug addicts are not in, nor from the ghetto and I definitely didn't hear about non-workers getting free money (or more free money). I to have money and worked hard, professionally for 20 plus years. And I to have lost thousands of dollars in the market and my 401k. If Obama (or McCain for that matter) can generate the type of moeny he has for his campaign, he's has to know something. Just to be black and winning (so-far) shows he has to be doing something right...his odds were the worst in history; you must agree.

October 30, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. Concerned in MA

Senior Citizens,

Let me translate Obama's proposed "universal coverage" for you.

Basically, it means there's going to be 50 million more consumers into a system, without 1 single additional provider (doctor, nurse, hospital).

Get ready for lines and rationing.

What does that mean to you? Easy... get to the back of the line, because there's a younger person who needs the same procedure you do.

Hope you like it...

October 30, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. Greg M.

Sarah Palin Please go away and take Mac Daddy Mcshame McCain with you and don't come back na ya hear. Hee Haw!!!!

Obama 08'...................................................................

October 30, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. Brenda

I have never enjoyed anything in my life that has equaled up to this election! Angry McCain supporters and jubilent Obama supporters going at each other. I mean it has been entertaining! There are a lot of scared Americans out there that are worried that Barack Obama is going to sell this country out! Boy, that "worry monster" is a villian isn't he? All the lies that are being put out about Barack Obama to tarnish his character! You would think that American citizens cannot think for themselves! That they have no mine of their own and they don't hear or see what's going on! Admit it America! there are tons of you so called "Patriots of Old Glory" that are shaking in your boots because you are seeing a change in this country that you did not expect! Well, guess what? This is the "New America! And if you can't keep up get off of the ship, because it's stopping for no one! Barack Obama will be the next President of this wonderful country and he will lead with character and dedication to the citizens of this country that has not always treated him or his people fairly! We are united and there is no turning back now!
    And to "Welcome To The Obama Show" : You need to do some research because the ship is about to pull off and leave you! This entire election has revealed all I need to know about Obama and McCain. Where have you been? I guess you still live in the "Back Woods". Come on and catch up with the rest of us who want to see progress in the White House! Happy Voting!

October 30, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. old white woman in NC

My conservative husband, a retired chemical engineer and now a business professor, is voting for Obama. Why? Because Obama's plan is at least laid out and comprehensible. And because Palin scares him to death! As a scientificly trained professional with 35 year with a major corporation, her "flat, 6000 year old earth" positions are driving him crazy! I'm only 60 and will probably work until I die, but both of us are southerners and we get it: Obama is smart, serious, and really wants to do the right thing for the complicated country of ours. We can't afford, monetarily or politically, to have a commander in chief who "shoots from the hip." So, no new look. We are for Obama and Biden: 2 smart men with the right attitudes and experience.

October 30, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. jimmy

PRAY THAT OUR NEXT PRESIDENT IS THE CHOICE OF ALMIGHTY GOD. IF WE ALL DO THAT , THE LORD WILL ANSWER.

October 30, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |