October 30th, 2008

Court: Michigan must return purged names to voter rolls

Sen. Obama campaigned in East Lansing, Michigan at the beginning of this month.
Sen. Obama campaigned in East Lansing, Michigan at the beginning of this month.

(CNN) – A federal appeals court has agreed with a lower court and ordered the state of Michigan to add the names of 5,500 voters back onto the voters rolls.

Click here to read the appeals court's opinion

The names were purged when mail sent to the voters by local election officials was returned as undeliverable. Purging the names was permitted under Michigan law but violated the federal National Voter Registration Act which limits the circumstances under which a state may remove a voter from the rolls.

The appeals court explained that Michigan’s practice caused affected voters to “face wrongful disenfranchisement.”

Related: Lawsuit alleges Colorado voters illegally purged

Filed under: Michigan • Voter Problems
  1. adg

I have to admidt that I wish Everyone that is voting for Mccain couldnt vote. I realy want Obama to be our next presidant. I used to like mccain, he is not the same person or maybe he just wasnt who I thought he was. but I am being truthfull. thats more than I can say for mccain and palin. I worrry they will commit fraud and win this election and nothing will change. I watch the polls and I cant see how mccain could possible win unless they cheat. I am sorry but this is how I feel.

October 30, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. KJ

GOOD.

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Arizona Senior

Republkicans are desparate, look out, you know about cornered rats.

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Joe the Small Business Man

Reality check! I'm a successful Michigan small business owner and employ 30 minimum wage workers. If Obama raises minimum wage to $10/hr. I, along with many of my other small business friends, will increase prices and downsize our staff. TRANSLATION: INCREASED INFLATION & UNEMPLOYMENT.

Small business owners need to be more vocal about the impact of Obama policy. It's our decisions that drive a large portion of the economy!

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. shirlean.mason

Not this time McCain. Obama has done all that hecan , the rest is up to us. VOTE NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama/Biden 08

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. I'm a voter

When there is no hope, try to steal the election. Typical. Finally, someone is trying to put a stop to the suppression.

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. MLH

Yeah. It is nice to hear the system insist on voter's rights.

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Reagan

Is that THE John Edwards who just admitted to his affair?

The John Edwards that had an affair while his wife is battling Breast cancer?

Good CHOICE of friends there Barack, keep 'em coming buddy.

October 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. Greg

CNN, you display some pretty hateful libral feedback from your readers.

October 30, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Ghost

It is good to see these returned.

Get out and VOTE Nov 4th!

October 30, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Darlington

what is the media really trying to do? what are they trying to tell voters with this picture? of course we all know John Edwards endorsed Obama in Michigan but we all know this picture is irrelevant to this story! c'mon media... yes Edwards cheated on his wife but that has nothing to do with Barack!

October 30, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Tom in Delaware

Take that Democrats HAHAHAHA

You idiots that blame everything on the Republicans never fail to amuse me!

You are by and large the dumbest collection of people on Earth.

You still beleive that Obama is going to cut your taxes.

He doesn't care about his own Aunt and Uncle living in poverty in Boston....why do you think he gives a crap about you?!?

October 30, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. Reagan

Uh....Billy....uh...get a life...uh

October 30, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. mary

Mystery past of Obama is catching up with him! I wasn't there when Hitler had his fun, but I wouldn't go have lunch with him! Americans better wake up before we loose our freedom, liberty, and justice for all (part of our constitution) All the things we worked hard for, fought for and believe in could be lost under an Obama leadership.
    Not ..........."God dam America!!!!!!" ( In Obama's minister;s words!)
    God Bless America! Williiam Ayers bombing the pentegon on 9/11!
    People better wake up! Illegals, homeless, and cartoon characters are voting (some more than once!)
    Obama wants our Constitution changed(hunters beware! freedom of speech will be next, huh?), to kill babies that didn't die in the late term abortion process, and the government will take your money to do it. You have too much! Spread the wealth!!

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Republican Supporters in the Dark

jess October 30th, 2008 2:15 pm ET

Black Horse
    The third horseman, riding the black horse, is called Famine. The black color of the third horse could be a symbol of the dead.

Revelation 6:5 – 6:6 – “And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.’”

God help us if the anti christ, the false prophet is elected
    --------------------------------
    Jess: God is going to help us BY VOTING OUT THE REPUBLICAN REGIME. In case you didnt realize it (dont know what planet you are on) we are in a crisis, BECAUSE OF REPUBLICANS. Anyway, the false prophet John McCain will not be elected.

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Ken

This is a joke if I have ever seen one!

NOBAMA 2008

McCain/Palin 2008

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  17. David

Everyone knows this is the Repub tactics. Finally, the courts have decided to not allow this. I know some of this is definitely going to happen on Nov 4th. That's why the remaining 19 states don't have early voting. Besides, we are Americans we should be able to vote without all this attempted suppression and intimidation. I can only guess which demographic the 5,000 voters come from.

This entire voting process should be standard around the country. This way everyone has the same process. With the technology available we should be able to vote anywhere anytime and not at selected places. Nevada has a good model. Why can't the Nevada base model be used to expand uppon?

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Peter in Virginia

Some say that Sen Obama is "buying" the election.

Lets keep in mind that the money spent in his campaign came from his contributors, like me, and that we are the only ones who can agree or disagree with how the money is spent. On the other hand, some of McCain's money, 85 million I believe, came from the government, that means tax money. I certainly do not agree with my money being spent on vitriolic negative ads or clothes for Plain.

As for buying elections....beats stealing them (read: 2000 and 2004 elections won by W)

Go Obama !!! He will be a great president and will help us get out of this mess !!!

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. steve

Steve,

So what if they were democrats and independents? Thats a good thing. They're the only voters with any brains!!

October 30, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Ken in Dallas

It's a good thing both sides had the armies of lawyers ready before the election. Republican voter suppression tactics would be working if the Obama team weren't paying attention and moving fast in court.

Voters, when are you going to figure out that the Republican machine is working against you, not for you, and it doesn't want to be your friend.

It astonishes me to see so many people determined to vote against their own interests because they're programmed to react to words like "socialist" with emotion and without thought. People, the ideology you've been spoon-fed isn't going to feed your kids.

Once more, briefly: to have an economy, you have to have supply and demand, and they have to be in something resembling balance. If. as the US has done, you place all priority on supply, demand dries up, and the economy starves, along with the population.

It's vital (as in, your life is at stake) to see that the economy produces as many living-wage jobs as possible. People need jobs. People without jobs lose everything, and people with nothing to lose turn to crime to survive. Either the economy produces enough jobs to employ our population, or crime rises with unemployment and underemployment.

October 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. slickingdom

It looks like America is getting tired of the corruption that exists during
    the election years. Thank you, dear Lord........Amen

Obama/Biden '08/'12

October 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. sick n tired

Thats how the GOP has been winning elections since 2000!!!!!! Im glad someone is finally catching on!!! My only question is, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO WAKE UP???????

October 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Bama for Obama

DNC 1 GOP 0

Not this time GOP! LOL!

October 30, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. bruce

good////perhaps the repubs will not steal this one like the last 2.

October 30, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Bob Indianapolis IN

This is why there was such an uproar over the fired Justice Department Attorneys: Because every election the Reptilicans try to turn America into a Banana Republic through VOTER SUPRESSION!

THIS TIME IT WON'T WORK!!!

October 30, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |