October 30th, 2008

Court: Michigan must return purged names to voter rolls

Sen. Obama campaigned in East Lansing, Michigan at the beginning of this month.
Sen. Obama campaigned in East Lansing, Michigan at the beginning of this month.

(CNN) – A federal appeals court has agreed with a lower court and ordered the state of Michigan to add the names of 5,500 voters back onto the voters rolls.

Click here to read the appeals court's opinion

The names were purged when mail sent to the voters by local election officials was returned as undeliverable. Purging the names was permitted under Michigan law but violated the federal National Voter Registration Act which limits the circumstances under which a state may remove a voter from the rolls.

The appeals court explained that Michigan’s practice caused affected voters to “face wrongful disenfranchisement.”

Related: Lawsuit alleges Colorado voters illegally purged

Filed under: Michigan • Voter Problems
  1. John

Voter fraud by the Republicans finally caught by one court but, how many other voter suppression maneuvers are the republicans up to?

The republican party that cries about fraud is the biggest perpetrator of fraud.

October 30, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  2. Ancient Texan

It's real apparent now, If $604 million dollars can't buy an election, then Liberal Judges will help them STEAL it. ACORN-Obama two peas in a pod.

October 30, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. Dallas, TX

Voter FRAUD! It's got stink written all over it! The only way the Dems know they can win this election!

The only scum are the liberals who've spent all our money and still want more to line their pockets with! More of the same will happen if Obama is elected! Period!

He's got nothing to offer but promises promises!

This race is NOT OVER!

October 30, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Stop Trying To Steal Our Votes GOP!

ha ha you lose!

October 30, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. John S

I'm a Canadian and there is no way that McCain will win this election. If it happens, I can see what will transpire in your country. Riots and civil turmoil because the whole population will know that their election process is a fraud and has nothing to do with democracy. I can see it now. Another civil war for the USA. Then you wonder where all the terrorist are? Just look at who is running your country now and you can see every turncoat in America

October 30, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. gregg

well. when you can buy an election,,, im not a repug,, but a die hard democrat who wants my party back ,, so i voted for mccain,,, so go obama buy another vowel,,, whats 600 million when you say u have one car,, how does michelle travel? by broom

October 30, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. gt, FL

shame on us. are we really fighting in iraq to sell democracy?

what about we practice it right here first?

October 30, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Mikey

Fraud Everwhere October 30th, 2008 5:02 pm ET
    This is how 45 million blacks will be able to vote this year even though there are only 13 million eligible blacks in the whole country.
    ________________________________________________
    There's always an idiot who can turn anything into a racial issue. Most of Obama's supporters are white... and the majority of Americans are not voting based on race, but on the qualities of the candidates. Please take you racial stupidity elsewhere. Don't go away mad, please just go away.

October 30, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

Good for them. the GOP will not STEAL this one!!!!

October 30, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Former Republican in Southlake, TX ~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Courts! It is SO obvious the Republicans are trying to steal this election in any way they can. (And face it, they've had a lot of practice the last 8 years.)
    I am disgusted with the Republican party anymore. They no longer represent my views on issues, and they certainly don't represent my ethical values anymore.
    Vote for Obama & Biden. Get past the "party" designation and vote for the person who is best for the job– and this year that is Barack Obama for President & Joe Biden for VP.

October 30, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. Cindy

Hopefully the Republicans will be required to renew the voter names in the other states as well.

The only way the Repubs can win is by cheating.

October 30, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Vera /AB. Canada

I cannot believe that the voter poles are not fiixed dor this election as long as I can remember and I am 68 it has always been a mix up. I would refuse to vote until they are fixed, I know that cannot be done but I would say this is down right embarressing for the States.

October 30, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Hoosier

I'm hoping two things: (1) the election is not close enough to allow it to be stolen; and (2) the new administration embarks on some meaningful election reform.

October 30, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. values

ALL YOU STUPID MCCAIN SUPPORTERS GET OVER IT. MCCAIN IS SORRY AND I BET YOU SUPPORTERS ARE ALL SHEEP BAH, BAH.

October 30, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. KMH Nebraska

Now that is real evidence of a transfer of power!
    Goodbye, Republican one party rule.

October 30, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Al

All I know is that I am finding it strange that you guys are claiming now that all of a sudden just 5 days before the election McCain is suddenly closing the gap just like that. The only way McCain could be closing the gap would be by voter fraud at this point. If McCain is President Elect after Tuesday, I will know for sure it was voter fraud. I wish you guys would stop cheering McCain on already. Are you guys willing to pay for our healthcare, give us tax breaks, pay our mortgages, and put the food on our tables that McCain would deny us? And this Joe The Plumber guy. Hasn't anyone asked if he is a shill or not?

October 30, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Salas

FraudEvyw – ? Where did you get these numers from in your post? Serious question. I'd like to see the link if possible – tks

45 million blacks will be able to vote this year even though there are only 13 million eligible blacks in the whole country?

October 30, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. Randy, San Francisco

The only way for the McCain/Palin team can win is for the GOP to suppress voter turnout. It worked in 2000 and 2004...but it won't work this time. The GOP tricksters can't stop a tidal wave.

October 30, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  19. Christine, Michigan

Republicans are worried about the dems stealing the election? that is funny. they would know all about it I suppose. I will NEVER vote for the GOP again. NEVER!

October 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. the snarly old hawk squawks in fellowship square

Now here is one article that shows just how much division there is in the United States.Nowhere does it mention to whom these people would be affliated with and yet both sides are crying foul.Come on folks,do you seriously think anything can be solved with such acrimony
    focused on each other.If for no other reason than to help purge such feelings for your fellow citizens,a change in direction is most urgently
    needed.

October 30, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. Vegas

Just get with ACORN... I'm sure they have the current addresses... YEA RIGHT.... or they could just give you some fake names...

AL : I wish you guys would stop cheering McCain on already. Are you guys willing to pay for our healthcare, give us tax breaks, pay our mortgages, and put the food on our tables that McCain would deny us?

Uhhh Al... how about getting a job and taking care of your own... I do... I take care of Five... why is it I owe you anything... freeloading is no way to go through life!

October 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. Independentandlovingit

Here we go again,
    And McCain, who's been Yelling Drill Baby Drill as one of his themes, not Tries to tie Obama to Big Oil, are you kidding me! That's almost as funny as him saying that Obama will continue Bush's policies! Wow, he really has lost his mind!

October 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Truth Before Prophets

Everytime I see people screaming approval at a Palin/McCain rally I imagine they are saying:
    "send my job overseas" " redistribute my tax money to big corporations" "privatize corporation profits and socialize their losses" "downgrade our children's education" "start needless wars so cronies of the president can benefit at our expense" "raise the price of gas so we have less money to feed our children" "beat us please" "take away our civil rights". If ever there were people voting against their own interesgt it is the Republican faithful. The only people who are voting in their own self interest when they vote for Republicans are the very wealthy. Others that vote for Republicans consist of :submissive peresonalities (boot_ lickers) and the mentally ill. Sad but true. End of story.

October 30, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. Carlos Marrero

Why do Republicans want to keep voters from the polls? I guess the Jim Crow days really aren't over. Perhaps they think only WASPs should vote
    The shenanigans going on, like in Virginia, are really over the top.

October 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  25. Ken

Only some negative Republicans can turn an extreme positive into a negative.

Obama exudes confidence and poise-> Some people are talking about how he has such a huge ego. One question: Do you actually know the guy?

Second of all, Obama ran an excellent campaign financially and used ingenuity and technology! If he runs government the same, we will updating our outdated and broken political system!
    Wake up America!