October 30th, 2008

Some voters still waiting on absentee ballots

Some voters still haven't received absentee ballots.
Some voters still haven't received absentee ballots.

(CNN) – With less than a week until Election Day, some voters are still anxiously awaiting the arrival of their absentee ballots.

Max Lohrey of La Junta in Otero County, Colorado called CNN’s voter hotline concerned that a missing absentee ballot might have “fallen into the hands of the wrong people . . . is this going to be used for fraud?”

Chawnte Williams, is registered to vote in the Denver area but is currently out of state.  Williams reports that she requested an absentee ballot earlier this month and was informed that it would not arrive until the end of October because of printing problems. When the ballot did not arrive as scheduled, she called to check on it again, and was told by her local election officials that they had no record of her requesting an absentee ballot.

“So because of somebody’s clerical error, now it looks like I might not be able to vote,” Williams said on the hotline.  "I feel like I'm not going to be able to vote and there's no reason why," Williams also told CNN in a telephone interview Thursday.

Colorado voters who still have not received their absentee ballot should visit GoVoteColorado.com and access Colorado’s voter registration search engine, says Colorado Secretary of State spokesman Richard Coolidge. The search engine tracks the status of absentee ballots - including whether they have been mailed out, or been returned to election officials in the mail.

Sharon Sisnroy, the Otero County Clerk, told CNN that voters in her county should call or fax an application for a replacement absentee ballot. Once that request is received, Sisnroy’s office will mail out another absentee ballot. Alternatively, Sisnroy advises, voters can come to the Otero Election Division in person and complete the application for a replacement absentee ballot and then obtain the new ballot in person as well.

Some CNN voter hotline callers from Florida have expressed similar concerns. Dr. Stuart Schwartz of Palm Beach County, Florida tells CNN he hasn’t received a replacement absentee ballot after he had to return the first one mailed to him because it was not the proper ballot for him to use to vote.

A caller who lives in Bahamas also reports that she hasn’t received her absentee ballot from Broward County, Florida, even though she has “been trying for weeks” to get in touch with election officials. “It’s impossible for me to vote without receiving my ballot,” the caller said. “I’m unable to go there in person obviously.”

Florida voters who are still awaiting absentee ballots should call their local supervisor in the county where they are registered, according to Jennifer Davis, of the Elections Division in the Florida Secretary of State’s office.

Click here for links to more information about early voting

Filed under: Colorado • Florida • Voter Problems
  1. Carol

Can't she just go down and early vote?

October 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I am a retired NYPD police sergeant. When I was on the NYPD I could not consort with known felons without fear of loss of my job. How is it that Senator Obama who would not be an acceptable candidate for the FBI or Secrete Service because he would be deemed a security risk is able to be considered for President of the United States and be in charge of those same departments?

Things that make you say HUMMMMM!

Mike

October 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. Club America

Lifelong Democrat that voted for McCain and every Republican listed on my absentee ballot.

I am sickened by the Democratic party. Dianne Wilkerson is a disgrace. Obama is a disgrace. Rangel is a disgrace. John Edwards is a disgrace. Barney Franks...Chris Dodd....Sandra Pelosi. There are so many Democrats right now being investigated for corruption it sickens me that until these thugs are thrown out of office I will continue to vote Republican.'

I want my party back!!!!!

October 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. v.ananthan

The race is tightening and that shows that voters are not buying what Obama says about McCain :
    "McCain is Bush" & " With McCain there will be 4 more years of Bush"

People should vote for Obama if they think Obama is ready and has easy solutions to everything..Otherwise better vote for Mccain…

October 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Rise of the Power

That really sucks. Every American should have the right to vote.

This is a bi-partisan issue.

Funniest quote from Obama campaign this week in reference to Miami Dolphins sale by Huizenga: " the capital gains tax would only go up from 15 percent to 20 percent, a 33 percent increase, not a doubling of the tax as Mr.s Huizenga states."

Soooo funny! ONLY a 33% increase! Why ANYONE would vote for Obama is beyond my comprehension!!!!

Democrats who sell stocks OR sell their homes for Capital Gains on the sale will be screwed under Obama/Pelosi.

October 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. hurriCAIN PALIN

Q – “fallen into the hands of the wrong people . . . is this going to be used for fraud?”

A – just make sure acorn aint around

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

October 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Cynthia - Arkansas

Please God, don't let them steal this election. If the Republicans can't steal Ohio again, it will have to be another state. At least people are voting early and all of the voter machine "problems" are coming to light early this time.

If we don't have fair elections, then we have no democracy. All of the wars fought, have been in vain. Women, remember the Iron Angels. Blacks, remember all of the civil rights heros that fought for the right to vote. Please don't let it be taken away! Get out there and VOTE, and make sure every vote COUNTS!

Obama/Biden 08

October 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. Dimitrus

You people must be nuts. They are trying to steal the election by making u think its close so the can change the source codes in the voting system....obama is very far ahead...no way mcanin and pailina
    can win.....

October 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. 30-m-PA-voted McCain

The wonderful Bill Clinton has just revealed that Obama didn't know what to do during the economic crisis and said the following:

"I haven't cleared this with him and he may even be mad at me for saying this so close to the election, but I know what else he said to his economic advisers (during the crisis)," Clinton told the crowd at a Wednesday night rally with Obama in Florida. "He said, 'Tell me what the right thing to do is. What's the right thing for America? Don't tell me what's popular. You tell me what's right - I'll figure out how to sell it.'"

Wow! Obama says McCain doesn't know anything about the economy yet it's clear, according to Bill Clinton, Obama doesn't know anything about the economy either.

October 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. GARY

OBAMA IS A ARROGANT ,SLICK TALKING CHICAGO CON MAN. THAT WONT RELEASE THE TAPES ABOUT HIM DINING WITH PALASTINE LEADERS THAT ARE ANTI – ISREAL AND LOCKED IN WITH TERROIST.OBAMA IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED ,BUT HIS NAIVE MORON YOUNG SUPPORTERS DONT BELIEVE ONLY THEIR PUPPET MASTER.THIS COUNTRY WILL FALL IF OBAMA GETS ELECTED. THE SAFETY OF THIS COUNTRY WILL BE NO LONGER. THE MILITARY EVEN BACKS MCCAIN KNOWING HE IS THE ONLY EXPERIENCED CANIDATE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY.THE YOUTH DONT KNOW ANY BETTER.BEING A PRESIDENT ISN'T MONEY ,GLAMOUR AND ROCK BANDS.WHAT GLITTERS IS NOT ALWAYS GOLD.YOU MORONS BETTER THINK BEFORE YOU PUT OUR COUNTRY IN THE HANDS OF TERROIST.MARK MY WORDS. OBAMA BEING ELECTED IS A INVITATION FOR ANOTHER TERROIST ATTACK.

October 30, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  11. james in s.c.

hmmmm, my guess that it's the rethuglicans machine are purging and or supressing voters again. there should be a law to stop these thugs from destorying a person right to vote. this had happen in the last 2 elections and rethuglicans got away with it.
    GET OUT AND VOTE EARLY!!!

OBAMA-BIDEN 08

October 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Jackie

I cannot believe how we call ourselves Americans and we stoop so low to try to stop peoples right to vote.

We want to tell every country how to run, but we cannot take care of the U.S., by running a clean election.

We should not have to call a voter hotline, everyone should be honest and accept people ballots and let them vote.

The Repulicans are so dirty. They will do anything to get to the WHITE HOUSE.

October 30, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  13. Work to Hard, Seattle

I received my absentee ballot 3 days ago and had my mind made up on who I was going to get my vote for President. I did not complete it right away, I wanted to give it some serious thought. I turned it in last night. I went on-line and read the blogs on most all the news sources, including this CNN ticker. As I read what the people were saying, their tone, and how reasonable their arguments were, I was convinced that Obama is NOT my choice, even though I actually was considering him. He simply is not believable. He is not a humble man. He's got a bloated ego. His followers are nasty and mean-spirited. McCain is a old man, by alot of Obama followers standards, but he is steady, honorable, and in the most difficult situation a President of the USA might encounter, I believe he would be the one I'd prefer to be sitting in the oval office. Obama should get back to the Senate and continue learning how to be a leader, rather than a salesman.

October 30, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. Desmond Sequeira

From a non-Dem, non-Repub, non-White, non-Black, non-US citizen who does however care about the USA and the world: DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD OF McCAIN'S ON TAXES WITHOUT READING THE FACTS.

October 30, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. DAVE

Archives confirm Barack Obama belonged to socialist party politicallydrunk.blogspot.com — From the October 1996 Update of the DSA 'New Party': "Three New Party members won Democratic primaries last Spring and face off against Republican opponents on election day: ... Barack Obama (State Senate) and ... New Party member Barack Obama was uncontested for a State Senate seat from Chicago."

October 30, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. hurriCAIN PALIN

frauds = nobama = ayers = wright = rezko = khalidi = acorn

October 30, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Erica Campbell

I had the same exact problem. I am currently out of state and requested an absentee ballot from Ohio. I called Franklin County and after being on hold for 30 minutes they reported no record of my application and would not allow me to speak to a supervisor (too many people ahead of me in line). She also told me that they did not accept faxed applications... This worries me greatly about the upcoming election. I have reported to polls that I will vote for Obama, but it seems now I will not have the chance to vote at all. I fear others are in the same situation too.

October 30, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I am so sick of hearing about all of these voter problems. It is a shame that in 2008, in the 21st Century that citizens are still experiencing these issues with voting! I think it is time for a national system of voting.

October 30, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Alim

I am from Colorado, Arapahoe County specifically, and this is absolutely not the first time I have heard of things being wonky in Colorado. It started with Colorado College students being told by El Paso County that they could not register in Colorado if their parents claimed them as dependents. It has now moved to Arapahoe County not ordering enough ballots to send to their voters. In 2004 a secretary I accompanied family to drop off their ballots rather than risk mailing them and the box was full so a secretary offered to just take them. It's some sketchy dealings down in Colorado. Let's hope this election is won on a fair basis rather than seeing another president elected by theft.

October 30, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  20. B. French

I had a similar problem being registered in Wisconsin but currently in California. I sent in my registration and request for an absentee ballot weeks ago, but when I called the clerk's office earlier this week, they informed me that my ballot had not yet been sent and that I may not recieve it until the Monday or Tuesday of election week. In Wisconsin, any ballots not recieved by the clerk's office by election Tuesday are discounted, so my vote would be discounted due to a failure by the clerk's office to send the ballot on time.

I voiced my concern to my senator's office and my state elections board and discovered that absentee ballots in the state of Wisconsin can be emailed in PDF form, which the clerk's office did not inform me of–though it seemed they were either unaware of this or unwilling to provide me this option.

I would recommend voters in a similar situation contact their state elections board and find out if email or fax is an option to recieve their absentee ballots so their vote is not discounted because of clerical error or backed up absentee submissions. People should still be aware that you must still fill these out and physically mail them back to your clerk's office, so you may have to cough up the extra money to mail priority like I did or even overnight if you don't get it until Monday. Your vote is still worth the cost though.

October 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. tg

God chose Barak Obama to lead America to make the world go round again. Go Barak we love you. We pray for you always during this difficult times

yours in the Peace and Love of Christ,

TG

October 30, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. Al Keene

I was just watching Campbell Brown & saw "Joe the Plumber" refer to John MccCain as a real American. This makes me wonder about Barack Obama. Is he NOT a real American? No mention was made of this which as an interested Canadian strikes me as odd.

October 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  23. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

For all those people who are willing and prepared to vote for OBAMA, I say this. Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

October 30, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  24. Christine Strathern

I'm waiting for my absentee ballot in England. I filled in the form and sent it in at the end of September, informing them that I'm visiting in England and was leaving Texas on October 19th, returning November 14th. I've emailed and they said it was sent, but no sign of it. Makes you wonder what's afoot.

October 30, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  25. Trish

What is it with these elections? Every election there is a problem with voting! It's the machines, it's the forms, it's the absentee forms! You'd think after these same problems cropping up election after election somebody would have the intelligence to fix the problem by now?
    It's almost like the powers that be welcome these problems! Maybe they're benefitting the right people?

October 30, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |