October 31st, 2008

Battleground 2008: Creating, keeping U.S. jobs

, ,
Since losing his job in July, Jon Lowder is taking resume-building and networking classes.

(CNN) - Even before the economic crisis, voters listed the economy as the top issue in the presidential election.

In a CNN.com special report, Battleground Voters, we talked to voters in five battleground states - Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio - to find out how the economy would influence their choice for president.

In the last of four parts, we talked to the unemployed, who say keeping jobs in their communities and in the country is key to their vote.

Full Story

Audio Slideshow

Check out the previous stories in CNN's special report on battleground voters: Tuesday's installment focused on small business owners, Wednesday's on students and Thursday's on retirees.

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Independent In NY

I am sick and tired of being sold down the river by neo-conservatives, The TRULY unpatriotic, anti american, freedom hating right wing radicals!!!

You destroyed your party all on your own, and if we let you, you would destroy america as well.

Do us all a favor, if you don't like Obamas tax cut, donate it to Exxon Mobil!!!

October 31, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. El Cajones Grande

We cannot afford to hand over the keys to the entire government to one party.

October 31, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. pray2008pray

Well we all know who MCCain and Palin are going to help.

October 31, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Can we get back some of the jobs outsourced? And stop importing foreigners we have to train to take our jobs?

Voted early for Obama/Bided

October 31, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. pp

Does anyone else feel all these attacks on Pakistan is Bush’s way to help McLiar win?

October 31, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  6. soundbyte

Emit R Detsaw, sorry to hear that, and wish all the best to you.

October 31, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. pray2008pray

Bill, I do not believe in Abortion and would never have one. However God gave us the right to make choices. If I make the wrong one I have to suffer the consequences.

WHERE DOES IT SAY YOU OR ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN'T.

Its funny how on one hand the Republicans state women should not have the right to Abort and then on the other hand they state the Goverment should not have the right to tell us about healthcare or taxes. Such a double standard.

October 31, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Alabama Voter

I was laid off in Dec. 07 because my job was sent to Guatemala, not because I wasn't good at my job but because they would work for cheaper to put more money in the pockets of the CEO's. I had to drop health insurance right off the bat (too expensive) Thank God my house was paid for. I have gone back to school but what good is that going to do me when they are shipping all the jobs over seas. What are they going to do when noone in the U.S. is able to buy their products because noone is working. Please Vote Obama/ Biden so we can get the U. S. back on track enough of this trickle down fiasco it doesn't work.

October 31, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. Deanna in Denver

Everyone thinks this is a new thing. It's not. It's been brewing for a long time. I have just been laid off again, this will be the 5th time in the last 7 years. I'm scared. I have also voted for Obama.

October 31, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Tiff of lithia springs

Its the economy stupid.

Shawn of Maryland,

That is simply insensative. Get some diversity training.

October 31, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. tulsa

McCain Is Comfort Food!
    Please look at the national security experts that have endorsed Senator Obama.
    You will see that they agree Obama will be an effective Commander In Chief.

Remember the definition of "terrorist". Someone who tries to control people by using fear.
    Which candidate has been telling us to "be affraid"?
    Vote for the candidate who is NOT a terrorist.
    Vote Obama

October 31, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Leigh

I hope people come to their senses and vote for the only person who is truly qualified. That person is John McCain. When I read all the crap people are writing about Obama singing his praises, it makes me wonder how dumb are they. It makes me think of a cult, and Obama is their leader. What ever comes out of his mouth, his followers just regurgitate it back out. And the news media is just as bad. They are pushing Obama down our throats. I for one am very sick and tired of it. I am casting my vote for a true hero ...John McCain.

October 31, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. tulsa

Bill.
    It's sad you cannot see the world as a whole.
    Vote Obama

October 31, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. thomas

The U.S. must remain competitive in the world economy through research, development and innovation. The government must invest in the future and rebuild America. This will create jobs, develop new products and create a safer, more affluent society. A society built upon the expansion of wealth and war will not stand.

October 31, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. Matt

It's all over folks...the executive branch (justice department) has mobilized to help suppress the vote. Now we know the underlying reason for the McCain campaign trumpeting the ACORN accusations from the hilltops. You'll see. You better hope you didn't forget to dot an "i" or cross a "t" on your registration...especially if you look like you're going to vote Dem (and yes, that was a nice way of saying "if you're an african-american").

October 31, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. KNIGHT-7579

Exactly how many jobs does a president create? And it is a president's fault when the economy does what is normal and has good days and bad days? Maybe we will start blaming the president for our personal health next. The economy operates because of supply and demand. The more demand there is for something, the more is produced. The less it is demand, the less that is produced. When that happens, jobs are shut down until the need is there. We have lived on credit for too long and it bite us in the rear. So blame the president for running up your credit cards, for buying a house that you had no business buying because it was too expensive, for NOT reading the terms of the mortage, for being gullible enough to fall for no interest, interest only, adjustable ARMS, and for the fact your company's goods and services were not wanted by consumers and you lost your job.

So when Obama fails, and he will, to keep his promise of a handout to those that won't work, and his promise to create millions of new jobs will you blame him and the Democrats like you have Bush and the Republicans?

October 31, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. David

Let's send McCain into retirement. I'm tired of his ego (read his book-those are his words and I doubt this has changed in 8 years) and his attacks. He does not deserve the presidency because of his family line or because he was in the military and suffered in Vietnam.

Obama is trying to get us to get back to thinking about our common purpose for the common good. He is trying to unite whereas McCain and Palin want to divide. Bush's election victories did enough to divide this country and it is high time we started getting back to that common purpose.

Just think how great our relations will be around the world when they see our nation that once was a country of slavery and segregation elect Obama as our next president. He is what the future of our country needs.

Our country is becoming as diverse as the world and we need to be willing to put aside all the nonsense and garbage that has come out of this campaign and look honestly at the two candidates and what they represent. Remember Republicans and Democrats fight side by side in Iraq. They do not only fight for the Republican Party the fight for the United States of America – Republican and Democrat alike.

Democrats are patriotic and believe in God, they laugh and cry just like the Republicans do. They care about this country and want everyone to have chance at wealth and prosperity not just a select few. when everyone can earn a good living the entire country wins.

I'm looking beyond John McCain's attacks and putting my vote in for Barack Obama – a patriotic, Christian who is putting "country first" in wanting to unite the country for the betterment of all.

Jobs will be created through hope for our future.

By the way why is Obama a socialist and McCain is not when he proposing to buy up mortgages so people can stay in their homes. Taxpayers are being asked to foot the bill that the banks themselves should be responsible for-such a move is a socialist policy. I don't want people to lose their homes either but should the government bail out the banks? This is a trick move McCain is trying to -pull over us. We on Main Street lose yet again-the banks win. This is not bailing out Main Street it just digs a deeper ditch in witch to fall.

Protect and create jobs and vote Obama.

October 31, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Bridgette-PA

"BILL" OK, please spell correctly! I know we all make mistakes, however, SOLE (as in your shoes) have nothing to do with SOUL (as in your heart). OBAMA'S right....a woman shouldn't have to suffer a misfortunate situation that has happened to her, like RAPE! Your an idiot! If one of your family members or stranger raped your daughter (god forbid) talk about it then. Until then, SHUT UP!

OBAMA/BIDEN -08!

October 31, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Franky

Just let me give some advice to the GOP...

In case you haven't noticed GOP, I have a riddle for you.

How many people does it take to satisfy one party? One in your case. And how many people does it take to satisfy a country? Exactly one! In case you haven't read history GOP, my advice to you is making sure that one party is NOT bigger tha one country...I'm sure you thought about that early on, right?

You got until Monday GOP to change the electoral map. Let me remind you that when my boy faced Hillary during the primaries and in Penn, she was always up! As a matter of fact, my boy tried to close the gap but...you nkow what happen, don't need to remind you.

And by the way GOP, Abraham(Lincoln), Teddy(Roosevelt), and Ronald(Reagan) taught you better. I'm sure you knew that...

Later guys!

October 31, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Matt

Hey "El Cahones...":

We can't afford to let the neocons pack the Supreme Court.

If in 2 years we don't like what the Dems are doing, we can change the balance in congress. But we can do NOTHING about a neocon-packed Supreme Court hellbent on getting rid of the right to abortion and legalizing things like torture and spying on American citizens.

October 31, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. cindy

For those of yuo in this article that say that you'll feel more comfortable with McCain in case of a international incident- THINK AGAIN!- McCain's a warmonger!!!! He'll take us into war without a second thought and he'll take your child without a second thought...

McCain doesn't know how to negotiate and that is one of the biggest quality a leader should have- someone who will gather information and think first before responding on instinct as John McCain did when Bush lied to us about why we needed to attack Iraq!

Think again people- John McCain very bad choice, bad judgement and no where as intelligent as Obama!

October 31, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. McCain 2008

I see comments that say Obama has already said what he is going to do for jobs, the economy, etc.

Where is this? I cannot find it on his web site or anywhere else. All I see is "I will create jobs". I will fix the economy... etc.. etc... etc...
    Promises and more promises but no solutions. (Other than I will tax the wealthy. Popular theme.)

How?????????

No more empty promises Barack.

I refuse to let you back away from your promises as you are already saying you may not be able to do everything you said.

And if elected, those you believed in you should not let you get away with it either.

October 31, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. nish

pundits and cnn electrol maps are worng
    the final verdict on tuesday in in the hands of viginia and nm.
    If obama wins these two states he wins . Worst case
    he needs to win virginia.

277 obama
    261 maccain may be the final score

October 31, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. paul (reformed republican)

Lets see...

Recession under Reagan (R), got worse under Bush the I (R). Great economic Recovery under Clinton (D). The worst economic outlook and recession in 80 years under Bush the II (R)....

Now, who does the best job with the economy?

October 31, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. bruce

October 31st, 2008 2:26 pm ET

We cannot afford to hand over the keys to the entire government to one party.

So how is this any differnt then when the repubs had control of the entire government? They had it all for 6 of the last eight years...time for a change.

October 31, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |