October 31st, 2008

Biden: Critics will call Obama the 44th president after Tuesday

Biden says GOP attacks are over the top.
Biden says GOP attacks are over the top.

KETTERING, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden always closes his speeches by telling supporters that once the election is over, they have to reach out to Republicans, even those who have conducted “scurrilous” attacks against Obama. The same critics, Biden said Friday afternoon, will be calling Barack Obama “the 44th President of the United States of America” after November 4.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we need to move past the politics of division and attack,” Biden told supporters at rally, the first stop on a two day bus-tour through Ohio.

“Over the past weeks, the Republicans have gone way over the top in my view, calling Barack Obama every name in the book, and it probably will get worse in the next three and a half to four days.”

“If you look at who he is, what he's done, and what he plans to do for this country,” Biden continued, “if you work for us in the closing days and choose hope over fear, after next Tuesday the very critics he has now and the rest of America will be calling him something else. They will be calling him the 44th president of the United States of America, our commander-in-chief Barack Obama!”

John McCain released an ad Friday that was void of any negativity or direct mention of Obama, but tells voters, "don't hope for a stronger America, vote for one." McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis told reporters Friday morning that their campaign would outspend Obama's in the closing days.

Biden delivered his campaign’s “closing arguments” in a high school gym in central Ohio, a swing state where CNN’s poll of polls suggests Obama leads John McCain by 5 percentage points, 49 to 44 percent, with 7 percent of the state’s voters still undecided. The Delaware senator's battleground state tour continues over the weekend, with more stops in Ohio, Indiana and Florida.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. James

i think biden is wrong. after every time McCain has proved his enemy wrong, it would be foolish to count the maverick out.

October 31, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Sean

Truth be told, this is spiritual!! God said he will use the lowborn of this world to shame the wise. For everything there is a season and this is the season of change, God works in secret. If it is His will that Obama be president nothing can stop it. Christ is one/not divided as religion has taught us/there are too many things that have to take place before that which binds the antichrist releases him/Obama is not the anti-christ, he is a educated God fearing blackman. My mom has taught me much of what I speak, she was taught under Watchman Nee and Witness Lee. Pray without ceasing people as Apostle Paul said. Lean not to your own understanding but trust in Christ and the Word!!! Amen(so be it)

October 31, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. James

I bet eight tenths of y'all really support/voted for McCain and are afraid of sounding racist.

October 31, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. beth

So Rose, all hard -working people are wealthy and all poor people are lazy....where is this place exactly? I know plenty of hard-working people who are barely getting by. Keep your stupid generalizations to yourself....and yes I do believe that even though I may not be getting as big of a tax cut from Obama due to my income bracket, it is the right thing to do in order that taxes for the working poor are lowered. I'm sorry that there has to be so many selfish people in the world.

October 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  5. Sue in MI

Rose,
    The only one who wants to destroy the nation is McCain. Do you think that we can afford to keep sending $10 BILLION a MONTH to Iraq, plus engage Iran, Pakistan and Syria? The next President had better have some other options than bomb bomb bomb Iran.
    And do you truly believe Palin will be any help to him? She's still learning geography, but she sure knows who's "pro-American." Someone as divisive and mean as she is has no place on the national stage. And don't her ethics violations concern you? Her ties to the Alaska Independence Party? Her long friendship with felon Ted Stevens? Her socialistic governing of Alaska? Her husband's desire to be in her office at all times? Do you want an unelected person having access to sensitive information and the nuclear codes?
    What they are saying about Barack is 95% lies...the Dems have taken the high road with McCain the adulterer and McCain friend of dubious folks, but that does not mean that McCain and Palin have no skeletons...there are many! If I were you, I'd go to fact check,org and read some truths about both sides.

October 31, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. Sally Tatala, Oregon

John McCain released an ad Friday ...tells voters, "don't hope for a stronger America, vote for one."

I did Mr. McCain – I voted for Obama / Biden!!

October 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. Sarah

For many years I worked for a non-profit organization that helped young families learn about parenting and child development. In my entire career it has been the most meaningful position I've had. But the program (which was thru the school district) couldn't provide health benefits to employees. The salary was pathetic and required at least a bachelor's degree. During this time in my life, I had no health insurance and qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit. I was working full-time and in Graduate School.

People who are under the income requirements to pay taxes aren't necessarily lazy or uneducated.

Now, I am in a better place financially and have finally earned a right to health insurance. I had to switch to the corporate world just to keep up and to get benefits. But I'm voting for Obama because I am voting for those whose shoes I've walked in.

October 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  8. lol

biden is a joke. if hillary clinton was chosen for vp, this race would be over. mccain is creeping up in the polls. let's not forget how the dnc, and the sexist obama campaign treated sen. clinton during the primaries. send a message to the dnc and vote mccain! what a pathetic party they have become. every time biden opens his mouth and says another stupid comment, we are reminded that hillary should have been at the very least the vp pick.

October 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  9. Cee the Soldier

Rose, you can not tell me that I am lazy because I will vote for OBAMA. I have served this country honorable. You need to get a life this country does not need McCain/Palin. what it needs is fresh ideas and a new face. Some one who will not sent us to war to be killed.

October 31, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Independent Fred

Rose October 31st, 2008 10:15 pm ET *Wrote*

And what party is controlling the congress, house and senate?
    Democrats. and what have they done for us lately?

Rose please..be serious..

15 Years of de-regulation plus the pillaging & preying on middle america won't be layed on just democrats. Granted Dems resisted calls for tighter regulation of Freddie & Fannie but if the regulations weren't removed in the first place by Republicans we wouldn't of had this mess to begin with.

Mergers of Banks and Airlines Tax breaks to Multi nationals who laugh at our inability to stop them.. PLEASE. Both parties are to blame but the Republicans shoulder responsibility for the bulk of this mess.

October 31, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  11. Mr Independent

Rose is see that you have plenty of sympathy for the "lazy"....and you wonder why most of the country think the right wing is racist. Your remarks just prove how ignorant that your party has become. Your lost and out of touch with America. I can't wait for Nov 4th as well...to be honest...I can't wait till Nov 5th...when your party becomes the minority.

October 31, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. wanbligi

Joe Biden is a strong, articulate Senator that has a wealth of knowledge and will make an outstanding Vice President. Biden understands and appreciates what this campaign is about and where it has been.

Come November 4th, Joe Biden is correct in saying that Barack Obama will be President of the United States.

I already voted absentee for Obama/Biden, so I'm quite thrilled about being a part of history in the making.

God Bless America and its people. God Bless Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

October 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Haha, what has McCain done for us lately?

October 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  14. An undecided-?

I am so tired of the negativity of the McCain camp. They are dividing us and right now being in the middle of America in an undecided state, I'm made to feel like if I vote for Obama, that I don't have morals or values. Well I do have values and I'm voting for Barack as soon as I can Tuesday morning. No early voting here. I'm praying for a land slide. Talking to people, fear of change is what's holding them back. Those that haven't done their research and only catch glimpses don't have all the information. We all need to get out there and help spread the truth.

October 31, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. JaBillionaire09

I have McCain signed up for the nursing home and his last tour of the world. He may not bring Palin along due to her lack of knowledge, I am sure America would not want her to make a mock out of herself nor this country.

Congrat's to Obama for his V I C T O R Y
    He will gain as much as experience in such a short period of time. Look at Bush he was able to gain the experience of putting this country in millions of $$ in DEBT in less than a year. NOW that's experience.

October 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  16. Cathy R-VA

Please WAIT IN LINE as long as it takes to cast YOUR vote. In all of my 40yrs of voting, this one has been the MOST important because it empowers every American to change the underlying "every man for himself" attitude, We are all in this together...get it? TOGETHER! Obama is the only one out there to bring back our world respectability and integrity. As Clinton said "People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power" This statement does not imply that we would NOT defend ourselves where necessary, but implies that we will do so rationally with purpose. Aggression? NO PEACE. YES

BUT!!! The most important thing you need to remember is that "President" Obama will need you much more after the election than ever. He will face the greatest challenges ever faced by a president. He is facing challenges that have affected every aspect of our lives, nationally and internationally and WILL have to make compromises on his promises-there is no doubt about that. We need to help him by accepting that reality and make the sacrifices now for a better future! Things take time...Our country will survive and we will be a great nation once again. PEACE TO THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!

November 1, 2008 04:34 am at 4:34 am |
  17. Niccole in Georgia

So, Rose. You said "Can’t wait til tues to vote for McCain.So when obama destroys this great nation and shares the wealth of all hard working people with the lazy I can say see I told you So"

So, basically what you're saying is that you also think that Obama will win the election?

I voted for Obama. Please, vote!!

November 1, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |