October 31st, 2008

Biden: Critics will call Obama the 44th president after Tuesday

Biden says GOP attacks are over the top.
Biden says GOP attacks are over the top.

KETTERING, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden always closes his speeches by telling supporters that once the election is over, they have to reach out to Republicans, even those who have conducted “scurrilous” attacks against Obama. The same critics, Biden said Friday afternoon, will be calling Barack Obama “the 44th President of the United States of America” after November 4.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we need to move past the politics of division and attack,” Biden told supporters at rally, the first stop on a two day bus-tour through Ohio.

“Over the past weeks, the Republicans have gone way over the top in my view, calling Barack Obama every name in the book, and it probably will get worse in the next three and a half to four days.”

“If you look at who he is, what he's done, and what he plans to do for this country,” Biden continued, “if you work for us in the closing days and choose hope over fear, after next Tuesday the very critics he has now and the rest of America will be calling him something else. They will be calling him the 44th president of the United States of America, our commander-in-chief Barack Obama!”

John McCain released an ad Friday that was void of any negativity or direct mention of Obama, but tells voters, "don't hope for a stronger America, vote for one." McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis told reporters Friday morning that their campaign would outspend Obama's in the closing days.

Biden delivered his campaign’s “closing arguments” in a high school gym in central Ohio, a swing state where CNN’s poll of polls suggests Obama leads John McCain by 5 percentage points, 49 to 44 percent, with 7 percent of the state’s voters still undecided. The Delaware senator's battleground state tour continues over the weekend, with more stops in Ohio, Indiana and Florida.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Susan

Whoa! A little too sure of yourself, Biden. And I am a Democrat.

October 31, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  2. John

Ah, the overconfidence of ignorance. I will say that the media and failing education system could provide a victory for a less than honorable candidate.

October 31, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. Donna

I always believed and was told by my parents that hard work always pays off, that every man woman and child has a place in this world, I look forwrd to Barack being my next President, it has been a rough 8 years. I have two businesses and I work a full time job, I am a minority and I have two employees that I have had to cut hours because of this terrible economy, I feel bad they have families and have to pay bills to. We are a team though and despite this they work some days without pay, this is how we do as americans, we help eachother. MCshame, Palin I can't wait unitl you are off my TV.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! I will vote Tueday.

October 31, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  4. wow

Biden: A man of knowledge and wisdom who will help this bring this country back to greatness. Him and Obama are the golden ticket!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. Chris in Va.

Great theme song for this election-The Who's "We Won't Get Fooled Again!"

That One '08!!

October 31, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  6. AM in VA

ALL HAIL THE CHIEF!!

VOTE VOTE VOTE

Obama/Biden '08

October 31, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Ron

Yes Mr Vice President I concur.

October 31, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. James

Keep pushing hard through the tape ! Vote smart.....Vote Obama !

Better days are coming.

October 31, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. Jay

Joe,

AMEN!! I am planning on going to Washington for the ingauration Barack is officially elected the president. Bob(NC) I really hope you were not indicating what i think you were with that comments... Divisive comments arent working for your republicans, give it up!

October 31, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Maggie from Virginia

The McCain Camp and RNC are fanatics! I usually recieve calls and mailers from them daily. They have now quadrupled their calls and mailers. Leave Me Alone!!! I already voted for Obama.

October 31, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. JD

You know, he's saying this kind of as a prediction, which is sad, seeing as this race was decided MONTHS ago.

Go Obama! I'll see you on Tuesday!

October 31, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. Amanda, OH

I'm voting for Barack.

End of story.

Vote, vote, vote America, let's get rid of toxic leaders, vote.

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Renee

In all fairness I can'nt watch Mccain/Palin becasue they are so negative and disrespectful and twist the truth and it is a lot of misleading statements about Obama and Mccain is not the right man to lead this country in a postive direction. Obama/Biden have my vote

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. Kevin

McCain's campaign outspending obama? haha in their dreams. if there was a super bowl, obama could buy the 2nd half in ads and still have more money than McCain.

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. IndyVoter

John & Susan:

McCain has been saying all week at his rallies that he IS GOING TO WIN THIS ELECTION, but I doubt that you called him arrogant or "too sure of himself when he said it did you? So, McCain's going to win, but what, we WON"T be calling him the 44th President??? Of course we will if he wins. It is no different what Biden said than what McCain has been saying all week. Republicans once again...Hypocritical!

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Dave, Illinois

Go Bradley effect. By the way, the Bradley effect is due to to white people being afraid to say that they will not vote for Obama lest they be called racists, etc. Obama as president would further divide this country because any dissention will be labeled racists – Obama is the new McCarthy.

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Chapman

YES WE WILL!!!

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  18. Robert

YES! The critics will call him President Obama, and all of the Mc Cain "supporters" will feel foolish when they see how well they will live under President Obama. If you have early voting in your state and you havent voted yet, what are you waiting for?! GO VOTE!!
    OB2008!! Obama is the President get used to it! he has done more for the country in 21 months than any republican has in the last 8 years. Vote Obama-Biden, please! you will be happy and the country will be beter because you did.

October 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  19. Kathy

Biden is just an old fool!!! He's been watching too much CNN

October 31, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. UNITED WE STAND

Will someone tell the McCain camp that this is the UNITED STATES. We hate all this hate speech and divisive talk. We get along well together and that's the way we want to keep it.

October 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. Leslie

To Susan: Sure you are.

October 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. Struggling American

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
    OBAMA THE 44TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!

October 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Susan, California

Joe, you are a credit to your party, and a role model for all politicians. I cannot wait until you are Vice President of the United States.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. A Producer's Revolt to Follow

Yes, I'm ready to join the Tax Payers Revolution. Seems most people who are following Pied Piper Obama to the sea like lemmings want something for nothing from him....and really think they are going to get it. Have you ever noticed how liberals are quick to "redistribute" other people's money.....but never their own. That is what Obama/Biden have openly stated they want to do. So November 4th begins the revolution. Ayn Rand got it right. Atlas (those who pay most of the taxes) will shrug after Barry Hussein kills all the golden geese that fuel this country's economy.

October 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Steve Volis

Mccain give postive speech before tuesday and i'll vote for you !!!! i am tired of your negativity .... Please one postitive speech and that all you need to get my vote !!!

October 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |