October 31st, 2008

Closing McCain ads take swipe at Obama

Sen. McCain releases two new ads in his final push to win the White House.
Sen. McCain releases two new ads in his final push to win the White House.

(CNN)–With only four days before election day, Sen. John McCain is ending the battle of the airwaves with a pair of 30-second spots.

"Obama Praising McCain" echoes a Web ad released a month ago: “Praising McCain." That spot spot shows prominent Democrats commending the Arizona senator for his stances on public policy and his leadership abilities within Congress. "Even Obama has Praise for the Maverick," read the screen.

In the new 30-second spot, an announcer begins “The truth on global warming”: the only other speaker in the ad is Obama himself. "The Lieberman-McCain bill establishes limits for greenhouse gas emissions. It's a framework that's not only good for the environment, it's also good for business," says Obama. "I want to thank Senator Lieberman, as well as Senator McCain, for the outstanding leadership that they've shown.”

The second spot, “Freedom,” brings the focus back to McCain’s biography. “I've served my country since I was 17 years old, and spent five years longing for her shores,” says McCain, evoking his time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

“I came home dedicated to a cause greater than my own. We can grow our economy. We will cut government waste,” he says, adding — in an apparent subtle swipe at Barack Obama - “Don't hope for a stronger America. Vote for one. Join me.”

The campaign said the ad will air in key states. On a Friday conference call, campaign manager Rick Davis said he expected McCain to out-spend Obama on the air in the race’s closing days.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Brian

The maverick has had 26 years to make change and it hasn't happened. Eight years ago, he couldn't even beat out that one in the white house. You say Obama has no executive experience? He ran his Presidential campaign and ran circles around McCain. Vote for whomever you want, but if you want four more years of lies and deception, knock yourself out, you reap what you sow.
    -O08-

October 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. KLEE

I borrowed this from PHYLON DUBE on my quest to build bridges to hope and positive energy taking down the bridge to nowhere:

PHYLON DUBE October 31st, 2008 4:55 pm ET

Who by now, would REALLY not have seen that race plays a significant part in this.Otherwise Obama would be 70:30 V MCAIN.There guys out there like PUMA-remember them?.Credit to those white brothers and sisters (and others of course,like LATINOS) who stand shoulder to shoulder with LOVE, IMPARTIALITY and RESPECT and say ' WE ARE ONE' or SIMUNYE in ZULU. Lest there some doubters, YES he is a jolly goodfella and yes you can fight that Gremlin called SUBCONCIOUS RACISM and share history with everyone. Because we are making it in November.

Forget PALIN MCAIN.

BARACK OBAMA is BLACK meets WHITE;he is JAPAN(Obama) meets AMERICA; he is A f RICA meets A me RICA; he is HEBREW(Barack=blessing) meets ARAB (Hussein) meets Africa(Obama) ;he is YOUNG meets AGED!!!!!! HE IS THE IDEAL; ANYONE EXCLUDED ???? Please say so.

October 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. My money will be gone

As stated by a good friend.

"Obama raises taxes on the rich – how do they make up for it? The eliminate jobs.
    Obama raises minimum wage – the result? Small businesses eliminate jobs.
    Clinton endorses Obama. And the man is a former impeached President.

I'm so inspired by Obama.

At least he's going to benefit from President Bush's willingness to surge in Iraq. Had he not, Obama wouldn't have been able to set a time table (which is how long, exactly, Mr. Obama???).

October 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. Jdub65

Hey Everybody!!! We have had the worse 4 yrs you and I can remember!!! Its hard for you to change I know. But change is good!!! Lets build a better tomorrow and to fix our past.

Obama/Biden 08

October 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. Amy

I would rather have a president (Obama) who sets high goals for us than one who is willing to settle. I'd rather have a president (Obama) who recruits the best and the brightest to advise him. We already have an example of who McCain would tap (Palin). I trust Obama and Biden. I do NOT trust McCain, and I certainly don't trust Palin!

On a side note: where are Sarah Palin's medical records she promised she would release???

October 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  6. Keoni-Luka McFadden

People should take a hard look at this year election and find out 1 fact about these 2 potential president to be. If you take a hard look at their respected gatherings during their push to be president, you would find 1 fundalmental (LOL) difference between them that I think people should really take a look at. If you look at the DIVERSITY in Obama's gatherings, then you would see that this man can bring the people together better than McCain can. It doesn't take a genius to see that when you look at McCain gatherings, it does not show unity. When I look at his followers I do not see a Diverse crowd when I look at them. At Obama rallies you see alot of different ethnic backgrounds in the crowd... Just take a look at it. America is the most Diverse Country in The World!!!!!!!! There is no other place that have so many ethnics. I believe that the only reason we are the Most POWERFUL Nation in The World is because of the people who live here in America. No I'm not talking about White, Black, Indian, or Spanish. I'm talking all Ethnics including Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Italian, Irish, etc. WE ALL HELP AMERICA BE WHAT IT IS TODAY. GOD BLESS AMERICA. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. A Canuck

Senator Obama ran a brilliant campaign and made a smart choice for VP...... which shows he has intelligence and good sense..... and he also has youth and decency on his side. He will be an amazing President and Americans will be redeemed in the eyes of the world.

October 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. KD

Doesn't McBush realize he just proved that Obama is a great guy that is willing to reach across the aisle and complement someone of the other party. So sad. Same with his talk about taxes, after doing some checking on factcheck.org, McSame's comments are false. But hey, all you repugs are free to give any tax break you get from Obama back to the feds.

October 31, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. witch

Olivia Why do you think McCain and Palin are so great? He was a skirt chaser he left his first wife for money and a younger woman,he has a terrible temper. Palin abused her power and parades her children on stage when they should be in school. She has a very little knowledge of the way of the world.

October 31, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. Ons

Obama’s praise for John McCain shows how different is Obama’s politics that you can find something positive in your opponent rather than tearing them down, you can praise them about, so I really get astounded that McCain can try to use that against Obama. So that tells you that the time for Karl Rove style of politics are coming to an end were you tear down your opponent, No surprise Arizona is going Blue, because Americans are eager for change, change with the way we do business in Washington from lobbyist to special interests, change our health care system, change our failed policies. Obama has shown me one thing politics is not a bout smearing your opponent, and dirty politics. He said one thing “ I will be a president who listens to you” woo oh when was the last day you had a candidate say that, that was awesome, maybe for longtime we will have someone who listens to the hard working Americans someone who won’t let special interests and Lobbyist run Washington,
    Obama and Joe

October 31, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  11. Beverly

I cannot vote for a 72-year old man for President of this great country.

Please voters think – vote the smart, intelligent, well respected man to represent us.

Obama/Biden08

October 31, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  12. Paul New man

sadly, negative campaigning works. The proof is simple: in the current economic and political environment and while simultaneously struggling with two badly managed wars, the incumbent party should be way behind in the polls.

Add to that the quality of the Democratic ticket and the weakness of the GOP ticket and this should be a landslide. But it won't be...

November 1, 2008 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  13. Joe N.Y.

Does anyone where I can find a WASHED UP MAVRICK?

November 1, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  14. Joe N.Y.

Does anyone know where I can find a WASHED UP MAVRICK?

November 1, 2008 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  15. BM

Why would you want an endorsement from someone you referred to as terrosit, a socialist, a communist, or someone not ready ti lead McCain? Just goes to show that you have lost your bearings, for real,real!
    You have just shown the world that Senator Obama is a real Christian man. He turns the other cheek! You are a real Jack!!!!!

November 1, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  16. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Can anybody explain how you can graduate 894/899 and get your first choice of station upon "graduating" from the Academy, other than the fact your pappy is very highly ranked in the Navy?!

November 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |