October 31st, 2008

Closing McCain ads take swipe at Obama

Sen. McCain releases two new ads in his final push to win the White House.
Sen. McCain releases two new ads in his final push to win the White House.

(CNN)–With only four days before election day, Sen. John McCain is ending the battle of the airwaves with a pair of 30-second spots.

"Obama Praising McCain" echoes a Web ad released a month ago: “Praising McCain." That spot spot shows prominent Democrats commending the Arizona senator for his stances on public policy and his leadership abilities within Congress. "Even Obama has Praise for the Maverick," read the screen.

In the new 30-second spot, an announcer begins “The truth on global warming”: the only other speaker in the ad is Obama himself. "The Lieberman-McCain bill establishes limits for greenhouse gas emissions. It's a framework that's not only good for the environment, it's also good for business," says Obama. "I want to thank Senator Lieberman, as well as Senator McCain, for the outstanding leadership that they've shown.”

The second spot, “Freedom,” brings the focus back to McCain’s biography. “I've served my country since I was 17 years old, and spent five years longing for her shores,” says McCain, evoking his time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

“I came home dedicated to a cause greater than my own. We can grow our economy. We will cut government waste,” he says, adding — in an apparent subtle swipe at Barack Obama - “Don't hope for a stronger America. Vote for one. Join me.”

The campaign said the ad will air in key states. On a Friday conference call, campaign manager Rick Davis said he expected McCain to out-spend Obama on the air in the race’s closing days.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ben in Dallas

Olivia, What planet are you on.

It is the McCain Palin campaign the has it's national PR director on CNN trying to smear Obama.

It is the Mc/Palin campaign that has distorts the record both of McCain and Obama.

It is Palin who is the attach bull dog (with lipstick) who makes distorted and unsubstantiated claims in her campaign rhetoric.

Come on girl join us in the 21st century.

October 31, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  2. Geology

“Don’t hope for a stronger America. Vote for one. Join me.” – Did he mean to say "Vote for That One?"

October 31, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  3. Matt

Only pro Obama comments allowed on CNN blogs it seems. I guess the press learned today that you are either with Obama or against him. Thats why there is no mention of real reporters kicked off the plane for Essence and Ebony reporters on CNN. They want to keep their seats.

Supressing a free press that has an opposing view and only allowing the press that supports and goes along with you is the behavior all dictators display.

I hope the press remembers that this Obomination is their creation.

October 31, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. THE MCCAIN SHOW?

Olivia, you're kidding, right?
    McCain is out of touch, grumpy and erratic. He's like Captain Ahab, only the boat is rudderless. His Vietnam "experience" doesn't make him ready to e president, it is clouding his judgement in my view. (His years in the Seante have been mixed at best.) Sarah Palin should never have gotten into this race if she wasn't ready to be criticized, especially if she is as tough as you think.
    Obama has shown leadership and vision. He has inspired millions and I agree with much of his politics. Biden is a solid choice as VP. He is a true man of the people, a credit to his country, an experienced and credible public servant, fully aware of his responsibilities, without a bloated sense of ego or entitlement (as in John's case).
    I will just have to to disagree with you on this. May the best team win.

October 31, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  5. Frustrated Conservative

Actually Palin has gotten a soft treatment. No one on the big stage has given her what she deserves. She is most embarrasing choice of a VP I have seen in my 49 years. The rest of the world is laughing at us for that choice.

Obama is the best and only choice for America!

October 31, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. tennisguypitt

What's wrong with praising your opponent? I've always considered that good sportsmanship.

October 31, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. MIKE FROM CALGARY

The first ad with Obama praising others on shows that Obama is magnaminous, that he is the one who reaches across aisles, who bridges divides to get results. He is a not a small petty bitter man like the other experienced candidate.

Second ad shows that McCain is a good soldier, not a leader!

Senators Obama and McCain are both proud Americans.

October 31, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. TheTruthHurts

#1 VOTE VOTE VOTE
    #2 GET YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, COLLEAGUES TO VOTE
    #3 BE GRACIOUS TO THE LOSERS
    #4 PAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTTAY!!!

October 31, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Te

Mrs. Palin calling from her cell phone insisted that the signs in the suns, the moons, and the stars should be imminent.

Hopefully, McCain,73, will retire now.

October 31, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  10. Chris, Middletown, CT

Name one well run goverment program (can't?...me either) – and you want the goverment to run healthcare? me either McCain 2008...time to read both sides of this (wonder if CNN will print this).

October 31, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Obama Now More Than Ever

McCain is still a drama queen....you are NOT my friend – I do not care that you were a POW, so were a lot of other men and they are not using it for their ego, and it does not make you fit for President – You are a LIAR and will continue to be LIAR right through your loss on Nov 4th. I can't wait for you and Palin to shut up and go away. I am sick to death of all the nasty negative junk from your campaign. You are a disgrace!

October 31, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. Karen

I has been said that the way a campaign is run in the final months is an insight into how the new President will govern. We have two excellent examples: 1.) Well planned and execuited, calm in a crisis, displays good judgement. 2.) Faltering, disorganized, in-fighting, snap decisions. Will you choose #1 or #2? What trumps? Experience or judgement?

October 31, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. Peter of Oregon

McCain's milked being a POW more than any other person in recorded history. Now he's also milking Sam the non-licensed plumber who's not in a financial position to buy a $100,000 business that would receive a tax cut under Obama.

October 31, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. TXLawStudent4Obama

Okay, so the ad shows that Sen. Obama is gracious and shows bi-partianship, but the McLame campaign thinks that's a negative...these people are sad.

Then I am so tired of him using his POW status to get away with any and everything and thinking it gives you some entitlement to be President. This man and his wacko vp need to ride off into the sunset with Joe the non plumber .

So glad I voted early for the only smart choice: Obama/Biden

October 31, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. Jarebear

Wouldn't an ad featuring Obama praising McCain for a bill just cement Obama's general campaign strategy of trying to be a bi-partisan guy? Somehow, I think that may backfire on McCain.

October 31, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  16. McCain is a LIAR

Another lapse in judgment for McCain – dragging around "Joe the Fraud" as your HERO?? OH please! Joe, or whatever his real name is, is a complete liar and fraud and you are taking him on your farewell tour with you?
    Oh that's right – you are a liar and fraud too – so you two go well together!

I have been listening to the McCain-Palin disgusting lies for months now and "I have the scars to prove it"

Please shut up and take your moron with you.

Thank God for Obama!

October 31, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. jamie,hattiesburg,ms

You know, I go to bed every night with my tv on cnn and I've been waking up every morning for the past 2 weeks with McCain at a rally saying the same thing he said the day before.I swear his campaign is excactly like the Bill Murray movie "GoundHog Day" only this one is not funny.He is the most annoying person on earth.Nov 4th can't get here fast enough.

October 31, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. Sally

McCain's "Freedom" ad is a great ad. If only he had run his campaign that way, instead of listening to the tone-deaf partisan hacks who've run his campaign into the ground.

October 31, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  19. Jeff

What a waste of money for your donors McShame. Obama has been the better gentleman candidate by offering praise for you many times during the campaign. However, you can not bring yourself to acknowledge Obama's good work and character...or even look him in the eye in the first debate. Instead your campaign has painted him as the devil incarnate...for this you are McShame and Obama WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT !!! Please take your anger and lies back to one of your eight homes...if you can remember where they are. And Plain go back to shooting caribou from helicopters.

WHITE MALE HOCKEY DAD OBAMA/ BIDEN '08 !!! GO VOTE !!!

October 31, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. IF, Portugal

Gosh... Republicans have sunk so low that they are attacking their opponent for not biting them? Very weird people, these republicans. I'd say people would welcome some civility in a campaign. But apparently the order from the McCain camp is attack, attack, attack. Mindlessly, if need be.

October 31, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Lost in Texas FOREVER

No Hillary=No Obama = a poor lonely soul in denial spewing dislike in a way that I'm sure Senator Clinton herself would be ashamed of. Anyone that claims to have backed Hillary Clinton and now supports the McCain?Palin ticket after the way the far right and GOP have and still do treat the Clintons really should not call themselves a Clinton backer. And John McCain was and still is a fine man, just lead by the wrong campaign.

October 31, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. AD

Now THAT's funny... "just plain common sense and caring for country and people." About McCain?? You jest. Crawl back under your rock.

Let McNasty spend as much as he likes in the next few days. It matters not.

October 31, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. nelson

heard the same crap from him so many times I am (tuned off)

Obama/Biden/Clinton 08

October 31, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  24. jojodancer1119

McCain should have said he came home with a point to find another wife and dump the one that waited the 5 years for him. What a fake!!!

October 31, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. mms

well mccain why would you want people to know Obama endorses you for anything didn't you say he had poor judgement ,not enough experience.isn't an endorsement from him worthless?again your campaign doesn't know what the hell their doing,now your telling people if Obama said it ,it must be a good thing ,you guys are idiots.

October 31, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |