October 31st, 2008

CNN Electoral Map update: McCain loses ground

CNN

Check out CNN's Electoral Map.

(CNN) - Some tough news for John McCain in his own backyard, as his home state of Arizona moves from “safe McCain” to “lean McCain” in the latest CNN poll of polls.

And the Republican nominee continues to lose ground in reliably-red areas, as North Dakota moves from “lean McCain” to “toss-up” – meaning three electoral votes that had been counted for McCain are now considered up for grabs.

But there’s some good news for McCain down south: Louisiana has moved from “lean McCain” to “safe McCain.” And the movement on the map is far from done.

Barack Obama now leads McCain by 131 electoral votes, up from his 128-vote lead yesterday. CNN now estimates that if the presidential election were held today, Obama would win 291 electoral votes and John McCain 160. There are 87 electoral votes up for grabs. Again, 270 electoral votes are needed to win the White House.

The CNN Electoral Map is based on analysis from the CNN Political Unit and takes into account a number of factors, including polling, state voting trends, ad spending patterns, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns, parties, and political strategists. The list will be updated regularly as the campaign develops over time.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Lee from FL

Americans will not be fooled again.
    AZ will be blue!

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Lisa

John McCain said they are going to win. CNN stop posting these silly things, McCain never lies, I heard he is now measuring for drapes and new rugs, gotta have that.

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. bruce

Maybe the Oct. surprise is that JTP is going to be the replacement VP....LOL

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Chi4Obama

Obama is up 26% in his home state of Illinois without having to Campaign.

On the flipside, McCain is clinging to a narrow lead in his home state of AZ (while devoting a significant amt. of campaign resources there).

Yep, I'd say that pretty much sums up the how this election will unfold.

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

Has a presidential candidate ever lost his home state?

I know Al Gore lost Tennessee in 2000, but he was 8 years removed from representing it in Congress.

Has a sitting governor or legislator ever lost his home state in a presidential election?

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Felly

The fundamentals of our economy are strong. Four days to go we still don't have Palin's medical records. If McCain can't run a good and desciplined campaign , how the hell can he run our country?

October 31, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. IL

It's not over Obama Supporters! Get out and vote and bring your friends, neighbors, family members, and the undecided voters (in hopes that they will vote for obama).

It's not over until the 5th.

October 31, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Sir Nose

McCain had better keep an eye on Texas too.

October 31, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Dee, Atlanta GA

Yea that was funny!!!!! Well you all are Joe the Plumbers, stand up!!! Oh man I spit my food out on that one!!!!

October 31, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Scott NYC Independent

Just imagine the fun we can all have next year. Sara Palin for President and Joe the Plumber for VP......................LOL

October 31, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Liz, AR

Tim I am right there with you. It was the best laugh I had in a while. Just priceless. You could hear the crickets in the background when there was no Joe. HAHAHA loved it!

Love this map too.

12. Lisa - Seattle - formerly Reno, NV

Nicely done Nevada!!!

October 31, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Mccain/Palin are liars!

I just hope this sends them a clear message about campaigning and personal attacks having no place in our politics, it doesn't win you vote's! It just re-inforce's some nutcases vote based on fear, it's pathetic, but sadly foxnews still hasn't gotten the memo, thanks to those idiots though Obama/Biden will win the election!

14. Meka

Let's Go Arizonia...you can do it!

Obama/Biden '08-'12

15. Veterans 4 Obama

McCain voted against our troops MANY times in the senate.

John McCain voted AGAINST 20 million dollars for veteran care facilities.

John McCain voted AGAINST $322 million for safety equipment for our troops in Iraq.

John McCain voted AGAINST $1 billion dollars in new equipment for the National Guard.

John McCain OPPOSED Jim Webb's G.I. Bill.

John McCain voted AGAINST $430 million for veterans outpatient care.

Barack voted FOR all of these troop support initiatives.

They deserve better than McCain.

We deserve better than McCain.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

16. Abby

This Map is lovely!!!

May it be true in Jesus name! Amen!!!!!

Obama 08!

17. Ron Canada.

This is a candidate for the highest office in the world. So childish.

18. ez

Go Vote America.

Registered Republican "voted" Obama/Biden 08

19. rufus

Silly Sarah will make more babies – may her tribe multiply
    (- unless she is on un christiaN contraceptives)

20. Glenn in California

I see these results fit PERFECTLY with the McCain campaign declaration that the "race is tightening," and predicting a McCain win. What a joke.

21. Danny in Chicago

CNN – you do realize that there are other legitimate sites out there that have good statistics about this race, right? You're electoral estimates are way off!

I know you want the ratings so you keep it close....well, as close as you can without looking like complete idiots.

This is going to be a landslide and you are all going to act like it's some crazy revelation that this is happening, but the truth is – we already know.

You aren't reporting news – you're trying to get ratings.

And that's as bad as McCain sorry excuse for a campaign.

22. Jackie

Please America - do not let the RNC control this country for another 4 years!

23. Joyce E Neal, Antioch, TN

Please will someone inform America that "Joe" is not a "Plumber".

24. GEORGE BANGO

Let’s be perfectly honest, there is only one thing that can save John Mcain now- BEING WHITE. I see and hear a lot of vernom about OBAMA but those who utter such vernom know very well that Senator Obama has said better things than Mcain, by far. At the backdrop of what the GOP has done to the economy and the world at large, I would have expected Mcain to have only one supporter- Cindy Mcain. As for me I vote Obama not because of his skin and mine, but I VOTE A NEW ERA, I VOTE HISTORY( which I will proudly claim to be a part of), I VOTE HOPE, I VOTE CHANGE. Thanks to those white folks out there who don’t look at COLOR. You are the HEROES and GOD bless you.

October 31, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  25. zionvier

Tim: I'm not going to vote for McCain, but I feel kind of bad for him with that incident. I'm sure he was told by the people he trusted in the campaign that Joe would be there, but obviously they were wrong. It reminds me of times my grandma would start talking about something and no one would have a clue what she was saying. You can't help but feel bad for old people like that sometimes, they have good intentions, but sometimes the communication thing breaks down.

I'll give him a "good attempt" for thinking on his feet when he realized the world was watching, but at the same time "You're all Joe the plumber" made me laugh my @$$ off, but I'm sure it was a hard position to be in and have to think of something to say.

October 31, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |