October 31st, 2008

CNN Electoral Map update: McCain loses ground

CNN

Check out CNN's Electoral Map.

(CNN) - Some tough news for John McCain in his own backyard, as his home state of Arizona moves from “safe McCain” to “lean McCain” in the latest CNN poll of polls.

And the Republican nominee continues to lose ground in reliably-red areas, as North Dakota moves from “lean McCain” to “toss-up” – meaning three electoral votes that had been counted for McCain are now considered up for grabs.

But there’s some good news for McCain down south: Louisiana has moved from “lean McCain” to “safe McCain.” And the movement on the map is far from done.

Barack Obama now leads McCain by 131 electoral votes, up from his 128-vote lead yesterday. CNN now estimates that if the presidential election were held today, Obama would win 291 electoral votes and John McCain 160. There are 87 electoral votes up for grabs. Again, 270 electoral votes are needed to win the White House.

The CNN Electoral Map is based on analysis from the CNN Political Unit and takes into account a number of factors, including polling, state voting trends, ad spending patterns, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns, parties, and political strategists. The list will be updated regularly as the campaign develops over time.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Nevada for Obama

I voted last Friday for Senator Obama and I am helping others to vote. This is a new season ... a season of change. I don't think that we can withstand anymore republican policies. Respectfully Senator McCain your season has expired.

Vote for Change and Hope..Vote Obama 08

October 31, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. proud american

ONE NATION- YES WE CAN

October 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

What's interesting is that in North Carolina, DEMOCRATS are outnumbering Republicans 2 to 1!

I am THRILLED that AMERICA IS REJECTING THE VILE POLITICS OF HATE, LIES, FEAR AND DIVISION THAT THE REPUBLICANS SPEW!

I agree "ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE (someone tell Palin) with FREEDOM AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!" AMEN!

THANK YOU AMERICA!

October 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. ines

Georgia is going to surprise us and go blue too.

Vote. Vote Early if you can. Go early to the polls on the 4th. Stand your ground. Vote!

October 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. McCain/Palin '08

To all Americans who lose their jobs because their employer needed to make up for Obama's tax plans; To all Americans who lose their jobs because because their employer needed to make up for Obama's plan to raise minimum wage....

See Barrack Obama and his "followers" with your complaints.

October 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. KEVIN

CAN JOHN MCCAIN REGAIN HIS DIGNITY AND GO INTO THE SUNSET LIKE THE WAR HERO THAT HE IS??. LETS FACE IT, EVEN SARAH PALIN ADMITTED IN AN INTERVIEW ON YOUTUBE THAT OBAMA REPRESENTS A RESOUNDING MESSAGE OF CHANGE AND A BREAK FROM THE STATUS QUO.
    AND TO ALL WHO CITES OBAMA'S INEXPERIENCE, A MAN WHO CAN RUN SUCH A PHENOMENAL CAMPAIGN AND MANAGE TO SLAY THE CLINTON GOLIATH AND (SOON) ,THE REPUBLICAN BEHEMOTH CAN RUN THIS COUNTRY ANYTIME!!!!! WELL DONE!! GREAT EXPECTATIONS !!!

October 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Maggie from Virginia

@ Leslie from Garden Grove, CA

Thank God Almighty – Let Freedom Ring!

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Dewey in CO

The only point that anyone needs to consider is Obama's running mate versus McCain's running mate. Is there any comparison? Biden is a time-tested senator with over 25 years in the US Senate, Palin is governor of a state where that are more moose than people. WE CAN NOT ALLOW the shallow, empty-headed, corrupt, power-hungry, mindless female stooge anywhere near the White House.

Come on folks, think with your head for a change – the choice is so obvious. Colorado voter and Obama contributor from Colorado. Already voted for Obama. GO OBAMA/BIDEN.

Say goodnight John McCain. You can not be president just because you are entitled to the spot based on your military background. Your largest number of kills as a pilot were onbaord the Forrestal – a US Ship. I think that makes you a domestic terrorist and qualifes you for a treason charge. GO AWAY NOW, FAR AWAY LOSER

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. LS in Virginia

Great news, but we still have to do all we can to make it happen by making sure we vote and we get others to vote as well. Finally, after eight looooong years, people are making political decisions based on the real qualifications of the candidate.

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. wink and a gun

I want to know why do every time John McCain have a rally, he has his wife, Lindsey Graham, and /or Sarah Palin? He can not stand alone thats sad........Think about it?????????????????

Obama/Biden 08

EVERY BODY VOTE LIKE YOUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Robin Castro

"…And to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands. One nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Ha! Don't make me laugh, last time I checked I couldn't get married, am not considered eligible to serve my country if I didn't abide by Don't Ask, Don't Tell. And just who's god are we suppose to be under?

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Turnabout is fair play

Marilyn October 31st, 2008 4:51 pm ET

On election night the map will look just like it did in 2004. Republicans are not going to vote for Obama. But many moderate Democrats, like myself, are voting for McCain.
    -------------------------------

In your world that may be what the map will look like, in the REAL world, Obama is NOT Kerry and the people want a new fresh face in the White House. That face will be President Obama. I've already early-voted for Obama here in Florida.

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. gwg

There will be no October suprise, Obama is untuchable even if something does come out. The media will not cover it, or hide it LA Times. Obama will be the next prez and we will just have to wait until 2012, but I bet Obama will push to not allow the same type of donations that he received this time. Un traceable prepaid credit cards (who, and from where was the money from).

October 31, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  14. Dave

"But many moderate Democrats, like myself, are voting for McCain."

No they aren't, Marilyn. Please open your eyes and ears.
    Reason and intelligence will finally prevail. Fear and emotional terrorism won't work this time.

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Sandra Remisoski

Of course McCain would only reward the weathy. Isnt that what republicans are all about. I live in southeast michigan and have friends
    and family that have lost jobs and homes.I want change and so does every
    one else in Michigan. I am a registered Democrat and so is my daughter
    and we both agree John McCain is just like Bush. He used to be a really
    nice guy with an outstanding military record. We liked the old John McCain but the new John McCain is an angry bitter man who I feel I
    would not want running the country. His running mate Mooselady is
    a crock. If anything were to happen to him,we better all leave the country!!
    Go Obama. Our country needs you. I want a better world for
    my children and granddchildren.

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Sharon Smith

I hope the children and grandchildren of the many retirees here in Arizona realize that John McCain most definitely should have asked for federal funds to help the state reduce the amount of fraud in our state. If he would not ask Congress to help combat the fraud and identity theft in Arizona, what makes anyone think that he would do anything about the problem on a national level? Obviously the costs of regulation is not on John McCain's agenda.

Arizona in Peril

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  17. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE, VOTE A STRAIGHT DEMOCRATIC TICKET!

With the old fool's home state now in the "leaning" column this looks like missy's prophecy that God's will be done for America is actually happening and Obama will be elected!

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. Willa

As long as Barack Obama talks about solutions and John McCain talks about Barack Obama, the entire map will turn blue. John McCain doesn't deserve to win because he's made too many mistakes. We want a president who at least knows what he's doing....it appears Barack Obama would be 'that one'.

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. LUCYNA

I will cry from joy seing Obama family moving to the Whithe House.

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. HAHAHA you wish....

Funny how only CNN is reporting this. Pick up a newspaper in Arizona and you will read a different story.

October 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Retired Army in San Antonio

Hey 'Plumber'.......why is Tim an idiot?

Is that the best you can do.....coming on here just to call someone names?

I guess that's all you have left when you're backing the wrong horse......and that horse is steadily losing ground!

October 31, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. A Woman In California For Obama

Not that I believe in polls because I don't but it is good news on a Friday afternoon. No Halloween tricks needed today.

October 31, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Oklahoman for O

I'm crossing my fingers.....I'm just waiting for some surprise to happen in this election at the last minute...This whole thing has been a rollercoaster...

October 31, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

And he will keep losing it as long as the baracuda keeps flapping her JAW BONE

October 31, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. Marilyn

Georgia Peach, Obama will take Georgia when pigs fly!!!!

October 31, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |