October 31st, 2008

Displaced by Katrina, unsure of Election Day

Sen. McCain toured the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans with his wife, Cindy, in April of this year.

(CNN) - The lingering aftermath of Hurricane Katrina looms large over New Orleans residents this election season. CNN’s Voter Hotline has received several calls from New Orleans residents wondering where to vote, whether former evacuees are still registered, and how to vote absentee after being displaced.

Joseph Harris of New Orleans was confused about whether his temporary displacement after the storm would affect his registration.

“I was calling to make sure I was on the list. I want to make sure my information had been changed back now from Houston where I was evacuated during Katrina, and I just want to make sure I’m able to vote on November 4,” Harris asked on the Hotline.

According to the Louisiana Secretary of State, Katrina’s lingering impact doesn’t extend to the voter rolls. “There has been no purging because people were displaced by Katrina. Basically, they can vote if we have a good address,” said Jacques Berry from the Louisiana Secretary of State office. “If you live in a homeless shelter and have an address, you can register to vote in Louisiana.”

Katrina victims who were displaced and are still planning to vote in Louisiana should call the state’s toll free number, (800) 883-2805. The rules for those displaced by the storm are no different than other residents, Berry said. “There’s nothing specific to them.”

The Hotline has also gotten calls from New Orleans parish voters who haven’t received their absentee ballots. “There’s a good chance that all the absentee ballots are out now. We want all voters to have the opportunity to vote. I am sure all absentee ballots will be out with sufficient time,” Berry said. “We want all voters to have the opportunity to vote.”

If you are a resident in the state of Louisiana who has questions regarding your registration status or where you should go to vote, you can visit geauxvote.com or call 1 (800) 883-2805.

Filed under: Katrina • Louisiana • Voter Problems
  1. Cindy in Atlanta

Paul, MO....thanks!!!!!

October 31, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. Ed

The thing that worries me is that it took McCain so long to care about New Orleans. Never mind the fact that his VP choice sealed my vote for Obama, after his visit to NO, it became clear to me that he doesn't give a **!! about these people at all, he can't even fake interest.

October 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. Texas Teacher

I hope everyone gets the chance to vote.... whether victims of Katrina or Ike... this is America... .not red or blue as Obama says, but the United States of America! The right to vote for the candidate of our choice is inherent in our constitution. Obama taught constitutional law for ten years... you teach what you love!

It should be against the law to defame the character of another person.... whether it is a campaign for the President of America or not.... this country is about honor! Honest voting places run by people who respect our right to vote whether they agree with us or NOT! That is what America is about... that is our history until these black hearts in power took our honor away!

That is what has made Obama's campaign so wonderful. He owes no one, but the People for his election. We supported him, and he will support us! Not the wealthiest 5% of this country... which includes Bush, McCain, Cheney, and all their cronies. Of course, they don't want to give up their good thing! And they will lie, cheat, and steal (votes) to keep that status quo!

October 31, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. Voted for OBAMA on Tuesday in Louisiana

I live in LA and was here during Katrina. I'm in Baton Rouge so Ike was worse up here than Katrina. 2 things about Katrina. 1 – the people of N.O. were told to evacuate but not everyone was able 2 – the fat cats in LA did have and still have a state budget surplus but are just wanting FEMA to pay for everything. The majority of displaced Katrina victims that are still displaced were seniors, disabled, etc. Luckily I got to vote though.

October 31, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. May

Obama/Biden 08!!!! Right choice!!!! We need CHANGE ! I hope a light turns on for the majority of Americans. Vote for OBAMA HE IS THE REAL CHANGE!!!!!

October 31, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  6. S. Boatman

Mccain Will Probably Be Somewhere Eating Cake During The Next American Crisis!

October 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Vet4McCain

Obama wouldn't have done any better with Katrina, because the government does very little as well as private industry. But no one would have complained because the rich would be a little poorer.
    Stick it to the Man! The man that signs your paycheck.

October 31, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  8. Richard A. Spomer

McCain/Palin are the better choice for America!

McCain/Palin 2008!

McCain/Palin 2008!

McCain/Palin 2008!

October 31, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  9. Chris L.

President Barack H. Obama.
    Pre-si-dent Ba-rack H. O-ba-ma.

Just practicing...

Vice-President Joe Biden.
    Vice-Pre-si-dent Joe Bi-den.

Yup. Sounds good!

October 31, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. Rogue Palin

George W. Bush doesn't care about black people or wet people. Neither does McCain.

October 31, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

The comedians are worried that if Senator Obama wins they will not have a lot of material with which to work. All they will need to do is to replay the tapes on McCain/Palin and they will find material to last for the next three years when the Republicans most likely will field an equally pathetic ticket. Ever since the George Bush got to the throne every dick, tom and harry, even Joe the "plumber" thinks that he can ride the republican's bus to the Capitol. Stupid is as stupid does.

This is just an exercise in futility because I know that your very bias Moderator will exclude this comment as usual.

October 31, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. Pat

ACORN TO THE RESCUE:

VOTE AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN - WE'RE HERE TO HELP!

MCCAIN / PALIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  13. KLEE

You go PHYLON DUBE!! you are exactly right. thanks for that posting!

build a bridge to hope and change tear down the bridge to nowhere

OBAMA – BIDEN – USA

October 31, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  14. Lerahs

Given how the current administration failed New Orleans, how can they be going for them for another four years? I hope that new poll is wrong! Remember Katrina!

October 31, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  15. Ron was a REP now a DEM

If the GOP gets their way the Katrina victims won't get to voice their dipleaser with the Republican goverment

October 31, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  16. Obama is not the Messiah

Bobby Jindal- It is a shame YOU did not run for office. You are all that is right about the USA.. Make sure you are in the 2012 cycle. You are a man that is above all of these fools..

October 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

TRICK A TREAT, GEORGE BUSH IS BACK DISGUISED AS JOHN MCCAIN.

October 31, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Yea right!!

Shame on you Louisiana, my home state. After Katrina, how could you guys possibly vote republican. Oh yea, I forgot. It's the old, old south. Your government let you suffer for days. I cried & cried for days. The suffering I witnessed was disgusting and didn't have to happen. Remember, it was not the hurricane itself, it was desertion of the U. S. government at the time they were needed more than any other time in my lifetime.

October 31, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  19. Fed up

To Allen and Hard Working American: I'm a Katrina survivor, a single mom with 3 children. I lost both my business and my home (I had no flood insurance because I didn't need it where I lived.)Yes its been 3 years and in an ideal world our lives should be back to normal and just peachy but that is so far from reality for us. I hope to God you never experience what we've been through, the loss, hopelessness and illnesses.I'm educated and I have a good job in another state but we aren't making it with this falterning economy and are one month away from being homeless again. My savings are exhausted, I can't provide health insurance to my kids and my credit was ruined. It kills me as a mom to not be able to give my kids the basics that other kids take for granted. This economy is killing us and we need a real leader like Obama to turn this country around. Bush failed us like he did this country. McCain voted against aid to Katrina victims even though he went stomping through the Ninth ward like he cared. I've lost hope but I do believe Obama is the right person to get this country on track. Stop judging what you obviously don't understand.

November 1, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  20. BM

A vote for McCain/Palin would be a vote for Bush who had no love for you during your difficult times.
    Obama/Biden 08