October 31st, 2008

Displaced by Katrina, unsure of Election Day

Sen. McCain toured the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans with his wife, Cindy, in April of this year.

(CNN) - The lingering aftermath of Hurricane Katrina looms large over New Orleans residents this election season. CNN’s Voter Hotline has received several calls from New Orleans residents wondering where to vote, whether former evacuees are still registered, and how to vote absentee after being displaced.

Joseph Harris of New Orleans was confused about whether his temporary displacement after the storm would affect his registration.

“I was calling to make sure I was on the list. I want to make sure my information had been changed back now from Houston where I was evacuated during Katrina, and I just want to make sure I’m able to vote on November 4,” Harris asked on the Hotline.

According to the Louisiana Secretary of State, Katrina’s lingering impact doesn’t extend to the voter rolls. “There has been no purging because people were displaced by Katrina. Basically, they can vote if we have a good address,” said Jacques Berry from the Louisiana Secretary of State office. “If you live in a homeless shelter and have an address, you can register to vote in Louisiana.”

Katrina victims who were displaced and are still planning to vote in Louisiana should call the state’s toll free number, (800) 883-2805. The rules for those displaced by the storm are no different than other residents, Berry said. “There’s nothing specific to them.”

The Hotline has also gotten calls from New Orleans parish voters who haven’t received their absentee ballots. “There’s a good chance that all the absentee ballots are out now. We want all voters to have the opportunity to vote. I am sure all absentee ballots will be out with sufficient time,” Berry said. “We want all voters to have the opportunity to vote.”

If you are a resident in the state of Louisiana who has questions regarding your registration status or where you should go to vote, you can visit geauxvote.com or call 1 (800) 883-2805.

Filed under: Katrina • Louisiana • Voter Problems
  1. Sebastian, Baton Rouge, LA

David from Silver Springs...you are absolutely correct.

October 31, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Simmy

Has Louisana always been Red – or had it turned Red since Karina?

October 31, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. David, Silver Spring, MD

To the so-called "Hard Working American for McCain"– what you don't want to understand is that not everyone has enough extra money, even after three years, to rebuild a life destroyed by something like Katrina.

If you're scraping to get by in good times, you're flat ruined by tough times. Maybe when your house gets foreclosed you'll understand.

And I doubt you're all that hard working. Hard working people tend to be a little more understanding of the troubles that befall others.

October 31, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Rob

Yes, let's continue the myth that Bush was behind Katrina. Never mind that DEMOCRAT mayor Ray Nagin sat firmly protected while scores of school busses sat empty in a parking lot instead of being used to evacuate people. Or maybe the amazingly stupid claims by Obama pal Louis Farakhan who said that he believed that Bush backed agents blew up the levees.

But then again, modus operandi for the libs, blame everyone but themselves and concoct elaborate stories of fantasy.

Obama, you and your koolaid drinking minions are the myth. And you will fool and steal your way into a job you are so unqualified for, ruin this country, and still manage to get your mindless lackeys to blame the Republicans for it.

October 31, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. aware

The democrats have been in control of the purse strings for two years! :(

October 31, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. nyindependent

To "Hard Working American for McCain" – spoken like a true republican....no wonder America is in the state we're in. How do you sleep at night?

Independent for "That One"

October 31, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. deb in Colo

I'm still scratching my head that after the Katrina/FEMA mess – why the people of Louisiana are still leaning Republican. Do you like how that was handled? You want the same group in charge???

October 31, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Another AC

It is heartening to know that the people of New Orleans will be ABLE to vote, regardless of how they vote. For them to lose that right after losing so much else would be unimaginable.

I hope to make my 3rd annual pilgrimage to New Orleans over the holidays this year. I am sickened that so much STILL needs to be done there.

Blessed be, New Orleans... blessed be.

October 31, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. theogracias

Wolf is interviewing Douglas Holtz-Eakin of McCain teamand this guy is an arrogant douche and we need to get rid of all these losers.

October 31, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. mume

those citizens should be able to vote, no matter what, it's their right Obama/Biden 08

October 31, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. j. williams

If Joseph Harris has taken this long to worry about where to vote, then he doesn't deserve to vote..If it was a welfare check from osama he would know where to pick it up...

October 31, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. Rashid McKalidi

.. Lets Get Real. Mr.&Mrs. McCain gave an Academy & Emmy Award performance with their Expressions of anticipation, wonderment, and amazement at Steve's [joe] Failure to appear.
    They knew Gossh Darn well he wasn't there! They just wanted to keep him on our minds. :)
    The Secret Service didn't know ?? Yeah sure.. :P

If you believe that, then I have a Bridge 4 Sale in Alaska.

Heres a letter I recently sent to John McCain, The Chairman of the I.R.I.. I'll share it with yah.. since some folk believe anything McCain has to say in these [his] last desperate days.
    Dear John..
    I hear you as he Chairman of the IRI will give away up to $500,000. to anyone that needs it for some good cause with out ever needing to meet with you or for you to ever even know me??
    Well… I would like to start my own Terrorists Money Laundry and all I want is $250,000. Im not affiliated with or even a spoksperson for any Terrorists Organization Yet, like Mr. Kalidi was.. But I hope thats ok with yah.
    So..Uhm.. when can I pick up my check ?

October 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Another grim reminder about letting the Rushpublicans control government.

Remember George Bush celebrating McCain's birthday while New Orleans was drowning?

October 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. Tiff of lithia springs

"Hardworking American for McCain"

Under the McCain administration you will be working that much harder. Only for the Thugs on Wall street to jump out of the window with your earning with a Golden Parachute.

Hope you don't have any sons under the age of 42. They are sure to be drafted for War.

October 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. SHELLI1313

John Mccain and Bush stated that they were doing a good job as far as Katrina was concerned and "Good Job Brownie" What Kind of Mess was that? The Katrina Victims are still suffering and sick so Mccain/palin need to go and go as fast as they can. Try living there for a month in the GETTO since Brownie did such a good job. Live with the Katrina Poor

October 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. Sharon from Virginia

The people of New Orleans (Katrine victims) should have been working on this months ago. Why is someone calling this late asking if they can vote. We can blame the Repugs for the mistreatment of the New Orleans victims during Katrina but their right to vote and where to vote should have been establish long before October 31, 2008 by each individual. As Bill Cosby would say "Come On People". Obama has made it clear over and over again every American has to engage in this process. At some point each person has to take responsiblility for themselves and their actions. So at this point in the process I do not feel sorry for any adult that has not done his/her part to make sure that they can/will vote.

October 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. aware

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." – Mahatma Gandhi

That disqualifies Obama but does qualify McCain/ Palin! :)

October 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. Bald ex-warrior

How come so many "hard working americans" also seem to be Ostrids.. heads in the sand...
    Not everyone has an fair go at it. Beleive it or not, some people face Unsurmountable odds despite how hard they try. It happens, denying it won't make it go away.. The Republican leadership showed us that.
    It is time that we have a government that has a heart along with an iron fist.
    Maybe under the Dems, our soldiers will have body armor BEFORE the war starts. Maybe our eqipment will be the right stuff at the right time. Maybe under the Dems we can have Victory Before the conflict.. that means we never get to blows... not all disagreements have to result in war..

October 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  19. v.ananthan

OBAMA IS MAKING PLANS FOR 2009 WHEN HE HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT SO FAR OTHER THAN RUNNING A BRILLIANT CAMPAIGN WITH UNKNOWN/ UNTRACEABLE CONTRIBUTIONS……

I AM SORRY OBAMA I DON^T BUY THAT….

McCAIN / PALIN 08.

October 31, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  20. deb in Colo

TO Hard Working American for McCain:

Typical Republican response.

I wonder what you would do if your home and job – and 90% of your neighbors – were wiped out by a natural disaster. My guess – you'd be first in line for your hand-out or whining because your insurance doesn't cover "flood" damage.

October 31, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  21. Deb in Pennsylvania

Hard Working American for McCain
    Whoa! What a cold-hearted attitude to take!
    Those people lost everything, and the government and the insurance companies did little,if anything to help them.
    It wasn't just homes that they lost (as if that weren't enough),but they lost hospitals,schools and businesses as well.
    I will NEVER understand pigs who would step on someone when they've already been knocked down,,,,
    But you're a McCain supporter,another not-Joe, the not -licensed plumber!...and all of his supporters appear to be evil racists!
    So, I guess that explains it then!

October 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  22. EDW

Yep, the Republicans will keep Louisiana because the black people no longer have homes there.

October 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  23. Simmy

A true disgrace!
    God will vindicate those victimized by Katrina, and the Repub... governing parties will pay this year for all of their trickery. I hope they pull an upset!

OB08PLUS!

October 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. David

To David, Silver Springs,MD. Since when are you an authority on Louisiana. Just because we don't think like you do doesn't mean that we don't know what is good for our state. You worry about MD and we will worry about LA.

October 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  25. tulsa

George October 31st, 2008 5:07 pm ET

HILLARY SUPPORTERS….stand up and vote for :PALIN and MC CAIN
    --------------------------–
    You and the rest of the Republican idiots pretending to be HRC supporters need to STFU.
    We know you aren't Democrats. Or HRC supporters.

October 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |