October 31st, 2008

Former Reagan adviser endorses Obama

Duberstein is pulling for Obama.
Duberstein is pulling for Obama.

(CNN) - Former Reagan chief of staff Ken Duberstein told CNN's Fareed Zakaria this week he intends to vote for Democrat Barack Obama on Tuesday.

Duberstein said he was influenced by another prominent Reagan official – Colin Powell – in his decision.

"Well let's put it this way – I think Colin Powell's decision is in fact the good housekeeping seal of approval on Barack Obama."

Powell served as national security advisor to Reagan during Duberstein's tenure as chief of staff.

Duberstein spoke with Zakaria about his final days in the Reagan White House. The Reagan official, along with Clinton Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Carter National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski, also discussed the transition process to a new administration.

Watch the full discussion on the next administration this Sunday at 1 p.m. on Fareed Zakaria GPS.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. E

It is so good to see that people who know how the government work are finally rejecting Mr. PTSD and his delusional ignorant sidekick Miss Alaska.

Obama has shown he is open to other opinions and thinks about people other than himself. He actually KNOWS that the first amendment wasn't written to keep the media from asking questions of leaders (see Palin's latest commentary)... maybe because he actually studied and taught Constitutional law while she was playing sportscaster on local news...

October 31, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I was for McCain until I saw how he was running around in the economy crisis, seeing his choice of VP and the whole tone of his campaign. Then I see Obama who is running a mostly straight campaign and not slinging dirt. He has remained very composed throughout the whole time. I also respect Colin Powell alot and his endorsement means alot to me as well as the way he step by step explained his reasoning.

October 31, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Scott NYC Independent

All the intelligent republicans are voting "Country First". Welcome and be happy.

October 31, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. karen

I firmly believe that if Ron Reagan was alive and with full use of his faculties, he would vote for Obama-
    I disagreed with several of Reagan's policies, but there was/is no doubt that that man sincerely loved this country for this country's sake.
    He would be appalled at the horrors being done by McCain and his campaigning this year.
    Reagan, right or wrong, tried to put this country first and acted and inspired us in that belief.
    Thank you to Republicans who are putting common sense and country above your party.
    Sincerely,
    A Registered Independent

October 31, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. A Canadian Observer

Pat F – "You mean Colin Powell, the guy who is the most single-handledly responsible person for talking this country into the Iraq war?"

Are you joking? You think that Powell made that stuff up on his own? You don't think that he took what Bush, Cheney and the CIA told him to say?

Do some freaking research and stop spouting off about things you have no idea about.

October 31, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. Vince

I must say that I was for McCain in the beginning. I did not see anything I liked when the economy crisis happened and McCain looking like he was grandstanding. That, as well as him chosing his VP and now the tone of his campaigning. To be honest, it is very disappointing to see McCain who professes to be such a stand up person run this campaign. Another factor that so swayed me was Colin Powell. I admire him alot for being a man of substance and liked his step by step points he made for chosing Obama over McCain.

October 31, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Pua, HI

It is great to see some Republicans voting for the best candidates, not necessarily their own. I don't understand how anyone can vote the Republican ticket with Senator McCain's choice of Governor Palin as Vice President, or even possible President. It is ridiculous and downright dangerous. She does not have what it takes for such a high office, no matter how hard she tries. Watching her rallies are scary.

Senator OBAMA/Senator BIDEN 08... can't wait!

October 31, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. jenewski

Way to go Obama ;;;;; Keep walking in faith;;;;;;;;

October 31, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. beevee

People who care about the country's future can see who is right to be president to lead the country with a vision for propserity and global leadership. I am not surprised that Powell and Duberstein endorsed Obama.

October 31, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. txgal44

Pat F: You wouldn't be saying that at all if Powell endorsed McWrong, now would you? Chuckle. That's what I thought. We'll keep Powell, thank you very much, and you can have Joe The Plumber! Hahahahaha!!

October 31, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Don't be blindsided

I think alot of people are fooled in the Obama mastery. He has yet to say where the money is coming from for his grand plan on health care. I can say if will be the ones he says he will not tax. He is just going to take from the rich and sread the wealth( Oh please). I don't care how one votes but when your taxes are increased just remember he said he wasn't. Go vote everyone.

October 31, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. Rena

Richard A. Spomer -

You sound very spooky yourself; and ignorant. You know, Jesus tells us to pray for people like you who can't find any good in anyone. I'm finding out a lot of these so called christians/conservative are all mouth and no heart. I 'll say this, watching how the christian/conservates are behaving there want be many sinners asking, "What must I do to be saved?" What a fine example we who say we are christians have been. I'm sure Jesus is not very pleased right now.

October 31, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Joe in MN

Red Ties for Obama!

October 31, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Dan

The only way the republicans can win is if they steal the election with fraud, fixed voting machines, dumping ballots, etc.

October 31, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. e forest

Most of these posts are for Obama ,i thought CNN was but now CNN is running wright ranting in ads, whats that all about. I sincerely hope the repubs are not allowed to steal the election by voter manipulation,
    all the millions voting for Obama cant be fooled this time,time for real justice in America or people may as well have Mugarbe for a leader.

October 31, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. Obama4Prez

Sam Six Pack-
    At least we will have jobs

October 31, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. JRed52 in Chicago

Sir, thank you. You were the Republican Party I *used* to vote for...before it got hijacked. but thank you.

October 31, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Rena

Pat F -

No, the one who had common sense and integrity to know when you are lied too; you don't continue to walk in the lie you expose it and walk away from it. That's why he left Bush with his behind hanging out when he found out the truth; something obviously your corrupt party knows nothing about.

October 31, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. Dave the bricklayer

the republicans have joe the plumber. how can he take off so much to campaign for Mccain? I've been in businesss for 17 yrs and could never take off that amount of time. If he really wanted to buy that business, He would be working 7 days a week to save up his money.
    WHAT A FRAUD

October 31, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. Felly

This guy is decent and intelligent.

October 31, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. theogracias

Wow he must have seen McCain up close and concluded he has no ability. I keep hearing what a great man the old McCain was, well I have only seen this McCain and my tka is this is the real McCain, not very impressive, small and mean, not too bright either.

October 31, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  22. CeeGee

Spomer, your ignorance is showing!

October 31, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. King

He did it because of race! he must be voting for his white half. What do Repugs. have to say about this?

October 31, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |