October 31st, 2008

Mike Ditka hits the campaign trail with Palin

Sarah Palin is campaigning with Mike Ditka on Friday.
Sarah Palin is campaigning with Mike Ditka on Friday.

LATROBE, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Barack Obama may be one of America’s most famous Chicago Bears fans, but the team’s legendary former coach Mike Ditka isn’t returning the sentiment - he’s campaigning with Sarah Palin.

Ditka, who also coached the New Orleans Saints and is now an analyst on ESPN, hit the trail with Palin on Friday in western Pennsylvania, where he was born and raised.

“Thing I know about Pennsylvania, you're great people, you're hardworking people,” Ditka said, introducing Palin in Latrobe. “No-nonsense people, and that's what this is all about. I'm not here because I'm a Republican, which I am, and I'm not here because I'm a conservative, which I am. I'm here because I am an American.”

Ditka proceeded to challenge Obama’s campaign mantra.

“We talk about change,” Ditka said. “Change from what, to what, and how? How you gonna do anything? Don’t talk about what you’re going to do, prove you can do something! If we're smart, the only option we have is to elect John McCain and Sarah Palin. Put ‘em in the White House, and let ‘em redirect where we're going.”

It's not the first time Ditka and Barack Obama have found themselves on opposing teams - the mustaschioed Super Bowl winner saw his name floated in the 2004 Illinois senate race as a possible Republican opponent to Obama.

Departing somewhat from John McCain's argument that failures on Wall Street and in Washington have imperiled the American worker, Ditka argued that anyone seeking employment can find a job - as long as they’re willing to make an effort.

“This is the land of opportunity,” he said. “It's not a land of handouts. If you’re willing to work, you can find a job. If you're willing to work, you can find a job.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. T

OH GOD PLEASE SAVE US!!!!!!!!! OBAMA ANTI-CHRIST 08

October 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  2. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

Palin should do a fact check on Sen McCain Republican opponent Sen. John McCain criticism of Obama's relationship with Rashid Khalidi, an Arab studies professor at Columbia University, by suggesting that McCain also had a link to Khalidi. It said, "John McCain should answer why, under his own chairmanship, the International Republican Institute repeatedly funded an organization Khalidi founded, the Center for Palestine Research and Studies, over the course of many years." Put foot in mouth

October 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. CANADIAN CLUB

MIKE DITKA HAS TAKEN TOO MANY SHOTS TO THE HEAD, TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. AMERICANS SHOULD LISTEN TO COMMON SENSE AND NOT WASHED UP HAS BEENS.

October 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Dazed and Confused

@ AValasquez:
    You are delusional. Do you think Barack can do anything right this second? You have already made up your mind, so don't be offended when you are out of work and have no healthcare, can't pay your bills and live in a cardboard box because you choose to go down the unethical road paved by the Neocons. Are you an idiot? How long have you been in this country? I ask, because no citizen that has been here for their entire life should want to go through what we have for the past 8 years. You hear me knockin? Well let me in......

October 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. linda n carolina

Ditka: I hear Mean Joe Green, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert are looking for you.

October 31, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Matt

Hey "ken"

I'll see your threat of redneck riots and raise you a national state of emergency if the Republicans cheat their way into the White House this election.

October 31, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |