October 31st, 2008

Obama's top priorities for '09

Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama told CNN Friday that turning around the economy and energy independence are his top priorities for 2009 if elected president.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. We don't know yet what's gonna happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority number one - making sure the plumbing works."

Obama said priority number 2 is energy independence:

"We have to seize this moment because it's not just an energy independence issue, it's also a national security issue and it's a jobs issue. We can create five million new green energy jobs ..."

You can watch the full interview on ‘The Situation Room’ at 6 p.m. ET.

Priority number 3: Healthcare reform.

Priority number 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority number one because I think that’s going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said.

"I think we’re going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce."

Priority number 5: Reforming the education system.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Race to '08
  1. Ms. B

When the "poorer" Republicans benefit from Obama being President, I wonder how many "Joes" will be complaining then? I have never understood how anyone with no money can holler about being Republican? I mean, where do you benefit from being in that party?

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. A humbled Republican

This man is ready to be in charge....and I'm ready for it.

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Mrs. Daniel

Sen. Obama will make a wonderful President.

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. jamie denver co

we need Obama sooooooo bad. I would hate to think of a loss and american's pschy the next day.

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Bobby, Triangle, VA

I can not wait to vote November 4th and I am bringing 12 people with me to make sure they vote!!!!

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. ttlove

I love it!! I am glad I voted for him!

McCain is so busy trying to smear Obama that he doesnt have a plan

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Tim

I can't wait to say President Barack Obama!!!!!! Taking vacation on Tuesday to drive folks to the polls!!!! Senator Obama has a ground game like never seen before and we will not let up till the last poll has closed on election day.

Obama/Biden 08!!!

October 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Nate

Wow, I am glad none of his top priorities are helping soldiers fighting around the world protecting his family, himself and his freedom, I cannot believe people actually respect this guy.

One Angry Soldier

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. IL

Mike below – we are safe now.
    I'm sure safety is his highest priority eventhough it's not mentioned here.

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. LLM from MD

Priorities in CHECK!!! Go OBAMA!!

McInsane in the membrane: "I can do them ALL at once.."

Oh, yeah? When you know what freezes over!!

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Yelonde

"Why would his first priority not be keeping us safe? Does it matter if I have a windmill in my yard to give me electricity if I'm dead?"

Apparently, Barack being president means that we will all be dead right?

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Gina - California

Oh Mike, keep the faith. You're going to be alive, but be careful....you may not have the energy. If I were you, I'd be delighted with Obama's priorities. Don't worry, he'll take care of National Security. You're going to see how he's going to take care of us. Don't be a pessimist. That's what McCain/Palin wants you to believe. I haven't heard priorities from him. He's an emotional man who isn't getting his way and he's running on fear. So he has to say only bad things about Obama. That's not what this nation is about. We're a strong nation, we just got sidetracked (in a major way) with the Bush Administration. Give Obama the opportunity to get us back where we need to be. It's all going to be okay!!!!

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. Brenda

Good gravy Mike...just thinking of YOU, YU, U!!!!! It's not like he won't look out for other things as well....remember....he can do more than one thing at a time!!! However....he stated his TOP priorities. Duhh!!!

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Bush, TX

Yay yay yay yay

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. OHIO FOR OBAMA

GO OBAMA.

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Sam SixPack

Don't tell anybody, but their old jobs are going bye-bye. Not to worry though, you will be issued a new training wage job at a recycling center.

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. Rena

Mike –

Can you read? He just stated that number 2 would be energy because it's a national security issue as well. My goodness no matter what this man do; it will never be enough for you crazy idiots. McCain only get the crazy people to vote for him because he know he can easily pull the wool over their eyes.

October 31, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  18. Independent Now Voting for Obama

Baddah bing! Baddah boom!
    GOBAMA!!

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Ken

I believe that your first priority should be to sis down with prsident Bush and thank him for keeping the country safe for 7 years. Please give him some credit.

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. SDunn

Mike October 31st, 2008 4:10 pm ET

-------------------------------

That is already a given! Blitzer was talking about his policy proposals and if we're not financially secure we're definitely not safe that is why our financial stability is the number one issue.

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. The Rising of the Sun

Barack Obama is a thoughtful, careful, smart, engaging man, who really seems to want to bring the country together.

As much as McCain talks about crossing party lines, his and his running mates rhetoric is destructive to any kind of country unity. I have yet to hear them talk about bringing this country together, nor have I heard anything like that from their surrogates.

This country needs us all acting and believing, hoping and responding as one.

Obabma can lead us in that direction.
    Yes We Can

Voted early in FL for Obama

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. larryj

How can fight terrorism not even be in the top 5? Do American really have that short a memory?

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Matt Callaway in Omaha, NE

To Mike:

If you have a windmill in your yard your son, brother, friend, or neighbor won't be in the Middle East. Think big picture.

Cheers,
    Matt

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. Beverly, NYC

Mike, sounds like you would not be happy with anything he make a priority. Does McCain have any except war? He should be the one you worry about.

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. spread the wealth

americans should be praisin obama,for bringin a fresh face to america when it's needed the most.

October 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |