October 31st, 2008

Obama's top priorities for '09

Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama told CNN Friday that turning around the economy and energy independence are his top priorities for 2009 if elected president.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. We don't know yet what's gonna happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority number one - making sure the plumbing works."

Obama said priority number 2 is energy independence:

"We have to seize this moment because it's not just an energy independence issue, it's also a national security issue and it's a jobs issue. We can create five million new green energy jobs ..."

You can watch the full interview on ‘The Situation Room’ at 6 p.m. ET.

Priority number 3: Healthcare reform.

Priority number 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority number one because I think that’s going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said.

"I think we’re going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce."

Priority number 5: Reforming the education system.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Race to '08
  1. cindy

Voters Open your eyes and see the truth..It is time for a Demorcrat to be back in the Oval Office Please vote Obama/Biden 08

in case you are scared of Obama and think that all those crazy Demorcrats are going to ruin the USA forever, you might want to read some History. Bush and the Republican majority are to blame for this terrible crisis we are in. Not the Demorcrats. I challeng you to look up "Americas homeowenership challenge" and "the american dream downpayment act" both Bush Ideas, both signed by Bush, How come Mccain has said nothing abou this..Read it, its not propaganda its true! I know Dems are not perfect but at least they think that anyone that is incontroll of the tax payers money should be watched and held accountable for there actions, To deregulate is to allow crooks to rob the american people, and lie and call it the American dream! Bunk, how come all of us dont have 7 houses and loads of $$ in the bank, Oh I guess the American dream is only good enough for the Rich!

October 31, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. kevin

good

October 31, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Ty

Well-said....like the TRUE leader that you are, Senator Obama!!
    Obama/Biden (2008-12)

October 31, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Forgiven Sinner

Senator Obama top priority is to ask God the knowledge and wisdom to lead this country. Once, he is engaged to the true and living God, then God, the true and living God will take care everything.

See the life of the great Bible characters: David was a shepherd boy and he became a king of Israel. His son Solomon succeded him and he asked God to give him wisdom and knowledge and God gave him so much that his wealth and fame was known all over the world. There are may more... I would suggest search the Scriptures and you will find godly men who trusted God.

October 31, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Rick

This guy is such a schmuck. Take a look at the "net pay" on your paycheck and then look at it again in one year if he gets elected. I'll go ahead and ask the question for you now: "What happened to the tax cut he promised?"

Everything he says is contrary to everything he has done in the past. I've got some ocean-front property I need to sell to you dems.

October 31, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. edd

I believe he'll actually do this things. I look forward to the changes coming.

October 31, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Bala

That's awesome..Exactly that's what we need. I strongly believe that Obama will lead this nation very strong, very effective and make americans very proud. I don't know what the other side of this election has on his mind.

October 31, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. 15

I thought giving Bill Ayers and Jerimiah Wright cabinet positions would be in the top 5.

October 31, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. Barack will destroy business

Goodbye United States of America

Hello Disunited States of Hatred and Socialism

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Ms. M

We need everyone to vote!! If you can, vote early.

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. McCain 08

Too bad for you liberals believing That One is The One instead bought a load of snake oil, even one of the fellow Obamabot worshippers aka CNBC is now saying Obama's plans will lead to high inflation by the end of 2009, and what are you going to say when not only inflation is roaring back thanks to That One but oil is at $200 a barrel and gas costs you $6 a gallon? You idiots fell for his empty rhetoric hook, line and sinker and I hope all your jobs are sent overseas hahahahahahahahahahahaha

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Concerned in MA

Sounds kind of EXPENSIVE to me... how are you going to do this by increasing the taxes on only those making more than $250K?

I mean $200K.

I mean $150K.

Geez... this is the Obama Limbo... How low can you go?

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Liz T, Tucson

A prudent, careful set of priorities and the recognition that things change very quickly.

Hope you are able to come to AZ, Senator Obama, we will do our best to turn us blue!

That should turn McCain green!

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. john chartrand

Just imagine if W had made a different choice six long years ago.A choice to fight terrorism by putting energy independence on the front burner like Obama wants too instead of starting a war.Imagine

October 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Susan

His comment that the next few days will get nasty........I laughed. This has been the most nagative campaign ever, from both candidates.

What a shame.

A Democrat

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Agnes Fleming

I doubt anyone about to enter the White House in 2009 will be able to answer this question accurately since, like the stock market, the situation changes by the minute and we do not know what the full extent of the fallout is going to be. Sen. Obama gave the right answer, it would be any one of the five offered in Blitzer's question or none of them at all. It's time the media got its head around the problems we are facing.

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. AJ

Oh please, Obama's top priority is making it into the history books and lining his own pockets.

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. LaTeef Alade,GeorgiaforObama

Obama is a leader with a good vision and he is the only hope this country have at this time.

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. sam

Here comes the greatest thing since Lincoln.........

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  20. Good to see a plan.

Before a whole bunch of negative thoughts and comments are posted here I just want to say- LET THE HEALING BEGIN!

It's pretty obvious Obama is going to win. Please Mr. President bring us all back together as a country again. God bless and good luck.

After all, we are all Americans. Let's get this country rolling again!!

October 31, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. KLEE

Ok – now its your turn McCain – just go ahead and copy Obama. Obama is a leader and it shows – thoughtful & serious, doesn't waste time looking in garbage dumps for something to throw at an opposite view.

Please I want to see this guy show us what he has – I know he can do it and do it with style – his team is ready to work with him – look at what happened with McCain and his group – looked like a circus on the ship of fools! – Joe the Plumber was a ploy and they used him up! He has no future in politics – stick to getting your plumbing license and move on please.

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 31, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Mike

Everytime I watch Obama the one thing I always notice is how inspirational he is – definiitely a once in a lifetime person, and so right for what America is going through at this moment. I can only imagine what other countries around the world would give to have someone as motivational and inspiring as he is as their leader. After Kennedy and Malcolm X don't lose another one America. Change history, become great again...vote Obama in.

October 31, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. Sohrab

McCain's days are numbered, a 72 year old joke of America.3days to go, Go Obama.

October 31, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Pat

Great Ideas Barack. Hang in there until Tuesday and you will be President Elect Obama.

October 31, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. er74

I think democrats should push a hard an Octuber surprise for republicans cause everybody is expecting a surprise all the way around.

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |