October 31st, 2008

Obama's top priorities for '09

Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama told CNN Friday that turning around the economy and energy independence are his top priorities for 2009 if elected president.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. We don't know yet what's gonna happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority number one - making sure the plumbing works."

Obama said priority number 2 is energy independence:

"We have to seize this moment because it's not just an energy independence issue, it's also a national security issue and it's a jobs issue. We can create five million new green energy jobs ..."

You can watch the full interview on ‘The Situation Room’ at 6 p.m. ET.

Priority number 3: Healthcare reform.

Priority number 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority number one because I think that’s going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said.

"I think we’re going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce."

Priority number 5: Reforming the education system.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Race to '08
  1. mike

Let's getter done!!

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. deb in az

dont know who you folks are polling here in az , but we wont be voting for bho

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. cindy

One more thing, I am tired of the Demorcrat party labled "baby killer's" good grief do republican's not know any facts at all. On Roe v. Wade it was voted 7-2 for it, of the 7 judges that voted for it 5 of them were Republicans and of the 2 that voted against 1 was a demorcrat..and again in 1993 the Republican majority upheld roe v. wade....So please know your facts! check it out for yourslef, educate yourslef and quit being an ignorant tool for the Republican party!

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Barack will destroy business

Goodbye United States of America

Hello Disunited States of Partinanship, Bitterness and Socialism

Business will leave, jobs will leave and our way of life will be lost as our freedoms will be systematically taken away from us by the new constitutions to be written to resemble Marxism more than Capitalism.

Those that don't agree with the new Messiah will be punished, as was the case today to the Washington Times as they were asked to no longer welcomed on Obama's plane, since their paper endorsed the patriot McCain.

Fairness doctrine, union secret ballot vote, taxes on productive businesses going up, our international security being weaken as the spineless one will be reducing the military, we are about to take ourselves back to the Jimmy Carter years, God help us.

McCain Palin and Hillary supporters 2008

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Anita in Oregon

Another thoughtful, concise and logical response from our next President.

He has shown us who he is over the past 21 months. At every opportunity to become a part of the mudslinging, Barack Obama has taken the high road. I believe this is how he will run our country and I am ready to be a part of something bigger and better.

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Tom

They key to Obama helping to repair the country is to

a. Respect the Constitution and the rule of law.
    b. Exercise some fiscal responsibility
    c. End the fiasco of our Iraqi adventure
    d. Show some respect for world opinion
    e. Practice honesty, openness and competent governing practices.

If Obama can do all five, we will correct much of the malpractices of the Bush years.

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. Obama/Biden 08/12

I don't care how much the polls and media try to say that McCain is on Obama's heels. Obama's going to win because God is going to make it happen. He's the ideal president that we all need now more than ever and he will address and help clean up the mess that Bush and Co. has caused for the past 8 years.
    For the first time in years, I would finally be proud to say that I'm an American once Obama leads this country in the right direction.

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. So proud

So Presidential .... never erratic. Obama/Biden 08

October 31, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Anonymous

luvz it :)

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Richard A. Spomer

Obama is incapable of being a straight talker with America, because he has too many big wigs financiered in his back pocket! The Mafia is someone that will be going to pick him off if he gets elected which won’t happen!

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. MA

President Barack H. Obama will be among the finest presidents ever elected to serve the United States of America. If America can produce a Barack Obama presidency, then America has lived up to all that is American in this world. Go USA! USA! USA! Here in Canada, we love the USA!

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. Jim in San Jose

Looking like a Leader-in-Chief. Exactly who we need to lead us out of the ashes of republic culture of corruption.

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Richard

Obama got my vote – 6 Robocalls in one day from the McCain campaign helped me make up my mind. There worse then the telemarketers.

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. FL voter

I can only see John McCain coming back with one of his jokes: "Well I'd tell Senator Obama, who better to fix the plumbing than Joe the Plumber?"

Pathetic old man.

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. A move in the right direction!

So Presidential .... never erratic. Obama/Biden 08

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. stkyrce

Tuesday could not come any sooner. I sent in my ballot. I'm amazed by how much time is wasted voting at the polls. If I were President, I make it a law for all to send absentee ballots. The second thing I would change is the college BCS football format to a playoff format. Hahaha. What would you do if you were POTUS??

October 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. michae l edwards

First of all, he has not yet been elected. Oh, that's right, you the media has elected him about 8 months ago. So this is what we can expect from the media. America has finally got to the point that the media tells us before hand what is going to happen. This is one sad state of affairs that we have come to this point.

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Tenisha

I cannot wait to help elect Barack Obama the next President of the United States. His character and personality is outstanding. This man will lead us in a new direction. I predict that his election will be just as good as President Clinton's. Let's get Barack elected!!!!!

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. Patrick

With CNN saying the election is all but over...it is just going to add to the outrage and disbelief of the Left when McCain wins the election. They will all be thinking that it is a "fix". because CNN and others had them convinced with these phoney poll numbers. The problem in relying on these phoney numbers, is that if the strategy doesn't work, there will be consequences. And who's going to take responsibility for those ??

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. BS not Maverick

You Da Man!

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. David in Illinois

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... But Obama's priorities for 2009 are SO MUCH MORE what this nation needs compared with the McCain/Palin/Bush policies.
    Did you just hear that Sarah Palin is accusing "the media" of limiting her First Amendment rights?? Because the media (and the voters!) are saying she's been running a negative campaigning. YIKES!!
    Questions remain about John McCain: What are the facts about his ties to G. Gordon Liddy, the convicted Watergate criminal AND domestic terrorist. And he has more close ties to the Palestinian representative that McCain/Palin has taken Obama to task for. Can the hypocrisy be any worse than these two??
    Truly a dishonorable campaign.

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. ED

I just love him.

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. CR in WI

How refreshing,
    A focus on the American Worker, not lip service, not BS.

McCain puts no effort into keeping jobs here. Obama does, with a carrot and stick approach. The carrot being tax cuts, the stick (I hope) will be the removal of trade protections with China and others.

Buy American Quality products.

BO08

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Glenn; Bakersville, NC.

I sincerely hope as an independent who got onboard the Obama train several stops back, still gets to the healthcare reform stop that brought me off of the fence to begin with. To that end, I hope he offers Sen. Clinton the cabinet post of Health and Human Services.

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. Suze, Epsom, NH

I just have to say I really like Senator Obama, I've liked him from the days he was running against Hillary Clinton. For me personally, he embodies everything I would want a President to embody. I remember voting for Bill Clinton & feeling that same feeling, he's realistic while at the same time idealistic. Not a bad thing, it works for me! I believe we the people of the United States should be proud that we hopefully will be nominating what is considered a minority in this country. For all that I am sure others will feel differently, for me – well, I just feel proud that we have all pulled together to hopefully elect him. White, black, asian, it doesn't matter – Catholic, Protestant, Jew, it doesn't matter, what matters is having someone in the white house who believes it really is about "we the people"!

October 31, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |