October 31st, 2008

Obama's top priorities for '09

Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Sen. Barack Obama in an interview Friday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama told CNN Friday that turning around the economy and energy independence are his top priorities for 2009 if elected president.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. We don't know yet what's gonna happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority number one - making sure the plumbing works."

Obama said priority number 2 is energy independence:

"We have to seize this moment because it's not just an energy independence issue, it's also a national security issue and it's a jobs issue. We can create five million new green energy jobs ..."

You can watch the full interview on ‘The Situation Room’ at 6 p.m. ET.

Priority number 3: Healthcare reform.

Priority number 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority number one because I think that’s going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said.

"I think we’re going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce."

Priority number 5: Reforming the education system.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Race to '08
  1. vicinokee

What a plan!! it could not be better!!!! this is what I call "priorities"
    Go Obama/Biden

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Chip

In related news, cart seen before horse in Chicago, bystanders describe this as rather odd, but accept the fact.

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Mike

Why would his first priority not be keeping us safe? Does it matter if I have a windmill in my yard to give me electricity if I'm dead?

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. Richard

These are the right steps to move this country forward. I believe Obama is ready to lead this country back to respectability. OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Tj oh

McCain:

Priority Number 1: Tax Cuts for Oil Companies!

Priority Number 2: ???

Priority Number 3: Profit!

Priority Number 4: Give the country to Palin.

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

He's our only choice this time. Any hope for this country and any kind of recovery from the Bush-8 years rests on his shoulders.

He has excellent advisors, and he listens. The other guy just goes ramming his way around like a bull in a china shop.

Please, people, think before you vote for the wrong reasons.

Obama/Biden – Constitutional Rights, World reputation restored, and on and on.

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Tired of W, OH

Obama economics are sound. If you don't support the bottom and the middle, the top will fall. It's not about handouts, it's about having a level playing field.

October 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. E

I really hope he wins this, it is so nice to hear someone actually thinking about what they can do to improve the country instead of trying to accuse every person wit a funny name of being a terrorist.

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Sounds right to me!

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. don

YOU GO BARACK!!!!

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. John

Cheers!
    I lift my mug to that!!!

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Matt

CNN: you need to stop calling the accusations against ACORN "voter fraud." They have been accused of voter REGISTRATION fraud. There is an enormous difference. Only an individual can commit or be accused of voter fraud.

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Tisha, ATL

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008/2012

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Steve From Dallas

Did he mention "sharing the wealth" ?

He's made a PROMISE!

I WANT MY PIECE OF THE ACTION! Can i just find a big house and take what it want? Sort of like what they did when Lennon took over Russia....

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Whatever

McCain hasn't identified the priorites of his campaign and it's almost over. It changes from day to day.

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. Jonathan M in a Red State starting to go Blue

I checked out John McCain's website yesterday in the hopes I could find some sort of plan, but I couldn't. Just saying what he'll "try and do" not how or when. It was also 2/3 on attacking Barack Obama's plan. Guess I was right when I voted for BO.

October 31, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. Ram, Minneapolis

Barack-

You rock. But please be careful how you tread the path in congress, if it does not get the filibuster-proof majority. Convincing the rhetorical republicans can be quite a daunting task. Extreme right-wing conservatives are another story.

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. LT131

Obama will hit the ground running. He already has such huge enthusiasm working for him we can make anything happen. Excellent!

L

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Miguelangelo Buenoaratos

I sure hope all these promises are not another pie in the sky. If they are, Obama will be judged accordingly and many will use his race to justify his failure. The expectations are way too high even for a bright mind like his.

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. arc, Lugano CH

David from Germany October 31st, 2008 4:09 pm ET
    Obama,The world is looking forwerd to see you as President
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Well said.

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. republicans hate america

McCains priorities will be to restart the draft and prepare for WWIII

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. Russell

The first stimulus gave us a huge boost in GDP for Q2. I guess socialism DOES work! Thanks for redistributing the wealth, Bush!

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Jasmine in Germany

Obama will restore nobility and respect to the White House.

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Jann in Denver

I can't wait for Obama to get his plans to put this country back on track underway.

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. Stone Harry

His priorities will be to do his job in the senate!

October 31, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |