November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Bridg

Tom from Delaware: You have to be that dumb to qoute the criminal, Karl Rove.

November 1, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

The John McCain that we are now seeing is the John McCain that has always been there. He has carefully and calculatingly hidden his persona under the protection of the MSM, his handlers and those colleagues who were afraid to speak the truth.

November 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Rodger

John McCain, former war hero, former maverick, former man of honesty and integrity....now a lacky of the consevative(non-intelectual)
    base, after 26 years in congress, he now will lose the election and his honor. He will now only be remembered as a senile old man who's judgement and honesty are gone!

November 1, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Old Man Yells At Cloud

Rational people are sick of the xenophopia McCain and Palin have been spewing for the past several months. If anything untoward happens to Obama while in office, we'll hold the McCain campaign directly responsible.

November 1, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. THE END OF AMERICA by OBAMA

Joe Biden is so divorced from the truth is is a total digrace to this country.
    He is a major fool who has been used by obama and will be quickly discarded if obama gets his hands on this government.
    And what's with this constant look of fear on Jill Bidens face like the sky is going to fall any second. It's also funny and sad that she really believes Michelle obama likes her.

November 1, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. tony Froyen

Hmm,
    Face it boys,
    McCain is going down the drain...
    Some work for Joe the plumber...

November 1, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Lilly

Joe Biden looks like an angry, whining uncle.

Once upon a time it used to be that the Republican was a party of whiners and the Democrat was a party of fighters.

In this election it seems that their roles have switched: Democrats are now a bunch of whiners (thanks to Obama) while the Republicans are fighters (thanks to McCain).

November 1, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. Sandy - PA

Yeah, well when you don't have a plan or any accomplishments of your own to point to, and you've chosen a brainless wonder for your running mate, all you can do is attack the other guy and lie about his record and his stand on important issues. Scare tactics and fear are all McCain and Palin have left.

November 1, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. Frann A in CA

It's often tempting to want to mete bitter with bitter, anger with anger, smear with smear.

It solves nothing, soiling one's good name and intentions and puts one into the arena with the bullies.

Our country needs more than bully leadership.

Intelligence over Insanity. Obama/Biden 08

November 1, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. A Canuck

Abraham Lincoln said "What is morally wrong can never be right" and he proved that values and judgment trump experience. My hope is that Barack Obama will have the opportunity to do the same.
    Vote Obama/Biden and vote early.

November 1, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Joe--Republican for Obama

CNN, You are simply pathetic. I THOUGHT CNN WAS BEING IMPARTIAL AND UNBIASED, BUT THESE LAST FEW DAYS, ALL I'M SEEING IS, YOU ARE SIDING WITH McCain-pALIN.

I am tired of all the fox shows, hannity and all, and now I wont need you to get my news.

PUT THIS ON THE NEWS:

If families were to be kept away from the campaign, as far as being in the news, WHY IS OBAMA's aunt in the news? WHY isn't SARAH PALINS daughter in the news who got pregnant out of wedlock and are forcing her bf to marry the daughter?

CNN, you are pathetic.

November 1, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Annie, Atlanta

I don't know how much "worse" we can take. This has been the ugliest campaign I've ever seen, and personally I didn't know there was such pure hatred on the Republican side of the isle. This has been disturbing and downright frightening. I'm afraid of what McCain and Palin may have unleashed. And the most disturbing part of it all is they didn't seem to care.

November 1, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. Mariah

We as a nation of people are sick and tired of all the neg crap that's out there........Let's voice our opp. and vote Sen. Obama/Biden not just for us, but for the future of this country/nation. Like Sen. Obama said we are not just a red state or blue state we are the Untied State of America.....remember that when we head out to the poll to vote ......This country need to be untied once more but Sen McCain cannot see the big picture .....people around the world "HATE US"......Sen McCain wake up and smell the coffee

OBAMA/BIDEN 08.

November 1, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  14. Chris, Michigan

What happened to the old McCain? He has lost all respect.

So sad at his old age he will die with shame.

November 1, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Susan Cusson

Oh Joe. Give it up. McCain is a real man and hero. You are only on the ticket because John got caught.

November 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |