November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Rogue Palin

Biden I think you should dump Mccain as your friend. he's scary. He's mentally unfit to lead a softball team let alone the USA!

November 1, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. Hard Working American for McCain

Biden is lying through his teeth. This just goes to show you how low a democrat will stoop to convince the unknowledgable American people to vote for them. Biden has joined the ranks of the American scum and low lifes. I am appauled at his level of ignorance.

November 1, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. Lisa

Who goes to her rallies anyways? People who ignore the facts, ignore the issues and take lies as truth. People who go to her rallies just want a hate rush. They feel good standing in a crowd where everyone is just like them so it's okay to feel that righteous hate. McCain tries to frenzy the kooks up too, but his hearts just not in it as much as Sarah.

November 1, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. David Goldman for OBAMA

MCSAME'S IMITATION OF AN HONORABLE MAN

CAME TO A MISERABLE DISGUSTING & ABRUPT END.

November 1, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. RB

Joe Biden or Mrs. Hatred for VP?

You've got to be kidding. VOTE OBAMA!!!!

November 1, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. vern

They are down in the 4th quarter with the clock ticking so they keep calling timeout,hoping for a last minute miracle....The GOP is so deperate it's funny.........Obama/Biden 08-12

November 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Max Pargament

No wonder you won't let people comment on Obama's aunt story, because you know how rediculous it is!

Will that affect his decision making? Is it part of his campaign promise? Is it part of his policies he plans to implement?

Please CNN stick to REAL NEWS. I hate seeing stories like this and celebrity news...there are people dying, starving, global warming, wars....COVER THE REAL STORIES

November 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Mark, who proudly cast his vote for Obama

Let's face it. McSame is captain of a sinking ship. He is having trouble even delivering Arizona's electoral votes to his ticket. So naturally he is throwing in the kitchen sink in his desperate attacks on Obama. He has nothing else left.

November 1, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  9. oscar

Cheer up Joe. Your friend mccain had chosen the dark side. he would not see reality until tuesday.

November 1, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. KLEE

McCain is not the man he was in 2000 race. he got the "rabies" from his VP running mate here in 2008.

November 1, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  11. Michael watching from Canada

Regardless of who wins this election, it is apparent McCain and Palin really don't care whether they will be respected.

Attack, attack, attack, lie, lie, lie, smear, smear, smear.......McCain is doing exactly what Bush did in the last two elections....they are very much alike.

Go Obama

November 1, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. Denise

Looks like the Republicans have become the party for racists! I guess the KKK does not have to hide under their white hoods anymore. They can just show up at Palin/McCain rallies and feel right at home.

November 1, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. Tom

A campaign says a great deal about how someone will govern. Obama and Biden have laid out their plans in some detail and preached hope and unity. McCain and Palin have never explicated their plans, beyond following Bush's failed economic theories and continue a war without end, and have preached divisiveness and and hate. This is the UNITED States. We need someone to bring us together rather than thrive on driving us apart. The only way to stop this negative campaigning is to give the forces of positive campaigning a decisive victory on Tuesday.

November 1, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  14. Missy

Joe, they've lied and schemed the entire time while campaigning. What makes you think Palin and McCain are going to change? This is the real Palin and McCain–full of hate!

November 1, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. Lisa

Dear CNN Readers and Obama & McCain supporters please read,

While I was in line waiting 3, 4, 5 hours- I started to hear other people telling story’s on why they would stand in line so long in the hot Florida sun. I met this woman in line. She encouraged me to sit down and stay in line and vote. She was voting for John McCain and I asked why.

She told me he was a Republican and she had No other choice. I stood in line and talked with her for hours about taxes, jobs, housing, healthcare, even voting. At the end, she told me that she was Never voting for McCain, she (like so many of us) just wanted someone else to re-enforce her support for Barack Obama.

She did not think I was voting for Obama and she used me to tell her why she should. This woman had so many of us crying in line because she had just lost her mother. She had to be about 28 years old. She was on her own. She said the reason she was voting for Obama was health care. While, her mother was living with cancer she lost her job and insurance. This family, like my own, could not afford $13,000 a month for her care.

This woman told me that she would not be voting if it was not because of health care. This woman told me she can not wake her mother up from her grave, but, if her vote will keep one more person’s mother, child, father, grandmother, friend, from going to their grave-She would wait years just for her vote to be counted.

So while you are waiting in line, remember this woman. Vote for your story. Vote for Obama. Talk to others in line and tell them why you are voting for change. I started the conversation like this, This line proves people want change. Watch the reaction.

November 1, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. Condi

WIMP

November 1, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  17. aware

Not so fast Biden!

I am saddened by Obama's Palin attack video. It is misogyny at its worst! It silences her voice! But Obama attacks and silences everyone who does not agree with him! :(

I resent Biden's unpatriotic comment and Obama's selfish comment!

I don't think people are unpatriotic or selfish if they don't want Obama to choose where their money should go. It is not government's job to redistribute money according to their wishes!

This disempowers people! :(

Also, there is a saying that it is better to teach a man to fish then to keep giving him fish! Giving the 47% of people who do not pay taxes a check for maybe $500. a year will not pay college tuition, buy a new car or improve their lives!

This disenfranchises and dehumanizes people by attempting to buy them with crumbs! :(

This disillusioned democrat and Hillary supporter voted for McCain/Palin 08! The are the only authentic reformers in this election! :)

November 1, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  18. Cathy

Go Joe! John McDesperate and Ms. Clueless will hopefully be history after Nov. 4. They can throw all the dirt they want to until then. Their dirt only motivates Democrats more.

Obama/Biden 2008!

November 1, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Dave

The McCain campaign isn't just taking the low road, it's tunneling under the low road. But I guess that's what you do when you have nothing positive to offer – just spread fear and lies, hoping you can trick voters into thinking the other side has nothing to offer either. Let's all make sure we don't fall for that trick.

November 1, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. what?

JOE BIDEN THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. IF HE HAD AN OPINION WORTH HEARING IT WOULD BE HIS OWN WORDS IN DESCRIBING OBAMA..."THE PRESIDENCY DOESNT LEND ITSELF TO ON THE JOB TRAINING." THEY GOTTA BE PROUD OF EACH OTHER. I KNOW THE FOLKS WAITING ON THE BRIBE CHECKS ARE.

November 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  21. AM, MIAMI

Hey! McCNN why didn't post the Dick Cheney Endorsement of McCain today article!!? "Birds of a feather flock together"

November 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  22. froghugger

No matter what they say, look for a landslide on Tuesday!

November 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Independent white female patriotic voter

Mccain turned out to be thedirtiest fighter and politician I have seen. I thought Mccain was different from that but I guess his hunger for power changed him a lot. He has been exaggerating, misleading, deseperate and absolutely out right lying about his opponent . I have watched Senator Obama take the high road many times and avoid getting into the dirt, he has been very focused and presidential. Obama has earned my trust and respect and I look forward to voting for him on Nov 4th. I believe he is the one to help us in this economy and lessen the disrespect towards America in the world.

November 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. vahe

mccains true colores are showing and its glowing

November 1, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  25. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I agree Joe, McCain's campaign has gone way over the top. I'm 49, and can't remember a sleazier, dirtier campaign than the one McCain/Palin have ran this year.

I for one must really question Ms. Palin's Christianity. Is she truly a model of being a good Christian? Not in my book.

In other news, Cheney endorsed McCain. I just saw it on Huffington Post.

Go Obama/Biden, 08