November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. rightsaid

They'll take the low road
    We'll take the high road
    And, we'll be in power before them!

November 1, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Glenn

Denunciation of Obama and the implied racial implications would suggest that the McCain camp trying to Distract voters from the real issues like the economy and healthcare. The derogatory statements made by Palin are inflammatory. If you read between the lines Palin is promoting racism. To demean and demoralize a presidential candidate to this degree is not acceptable

November 1, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Cindy

Wow!!!! Obama supporters should be worried!!! The pendulum has swung and McCain is advancing VERY fast. Americans are FINALLY watching the new video about Obama that is ALL over the internet. If you are curious, type in: Plot to overthrow. I think it is on Youtube.
    Americans have found out for the first time from Obama's own mouth that he will be installing a new civilian millitary if he gets in office. This is making some Obama supporters to take a second look at voting for Obama. This makes Ayers thing look like peanute! Just in time!!!! Go on, if you are brave enough watch this 55 minute video.

November 1, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Jessica from Michigan

I can honestly say that after this campaign, I despise what the Republicans stand for, and the rhetoric that they back.

It's appalling!

Obama08 (don't stay home!)

November 1, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. HouseDiva

there's only one thing that can give credit to McCain and Palin for doing....they brought out ALL the closet racist into the light.

taking a good look at people from their rallies, and you get a good picture of the people who continue to hold America back into dark times.

there will be no room for those kind of people in a new America. they are a dieing breed, and i am glad.

November 1, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Rashid McKalidi

...” she said, “but then he [Barack] comes here to Florida and he tries to exploit the fears and the worries about Social Security and Medicare to our retirees and that is the oldest and cheapest kind of politics there is. "
    She knows alot about exploiting fears and worries. She is the expert at what she is accusing Obama of.
    Pathological lying has never been Presidential. Sorry Sarah,
    Its not Christian either. :)
    May I suggest more bible study. Im not the biggest bible scholar myself, BUT, I vaguely recall a few of the Ten Commandments:
    Thou Shalt NOT STEAL [Mayor & Govenor expenses used for her personal (family) benefit.
    Thou Shalt NOT LIE [Daily on the campaign stops & interviews, Misleading lines at best]
    Thou SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WHITNESS [Her Favorite way of Lying about the Democratic Ticket]

November 1, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. John Clark

I am not an American, I am British, but I hope with all the strength that I can muster that after Tuesday the 4th November America will no longer be seen by a large part of the world as a threat to world peace.

The USA could and should once again be a moral leader, it should once again forge it’s friendships by example with peoples and countries again lining up to be counted as it’s honoured allies. The time for change has come and America needs to show the world that it can once again morally lead from the front, not whip people forward from the rear.

A real American hero will be the man that can truly make the world a better, safer place.

I do not in my heart think that John McCain will do that. So I say to you:
    As Edmund Burke said "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Please, for the rest of the world who want to love America again, vote Obama.

November 1, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Mzars

>>>With supporters like this how can John McCain not win?<<<

That's a joke, right? Those people you listed (except for simple folk like Joe the plumber) are vicious, nasty people who only influence the hard core Republican supporters. Everybody else, especially Independents like myself ignore them and they actually influence us to vote Obama.

November 1, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. CaptainVideo

In order to fully understand what McCain is doing one needs to see the film Boogie Man about Lee Atwater, Karl Rove's mentor, who developed the lie and smear tactics the Republican Presidential candidates been using since the Dukakis – Bush Sr. campaign, and are now being used by McCain against Obama.

The most fundamental propositions of the Atwater-Rove playbook are:
    1. The truth does not matter.
    2. Anything it takes to win is acceptable.

McCain tried going the high road in 2000 and was defeated by Bush Jr. who used these tactics. So this time McCain has decided to use them and has hired the same people who smeared him in 2000 to run his campaign.

As McCain gets increasingly desperate, his campaign will get incresingly vicious until the election is held.

However, this time the Republicans have run into a candidate against who this will not work. After it is all over, McCain will not only have lost the election, but will have sacrificed the reputation of being a straight-talker that he had previously so actively worked to build. He will have nothing to show for his decision to let himself be seduced by the dark side of the force.

November 1, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. bkrane/pgh

McCain's legacy will be the wrath that he wrought upon his own party in the person of Sarah Palin.

November 1, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. falcon 17

I'm betting Palin isn't releasing her medical records because she has had an abortion.

November 1, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. muldoon

McCain has already trashed his own reputation, and has nothing to lose by going even more negative. When you lose your honor, what difference does it make how much you lie?

November 1, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Louise in Arizona

I hope McCain fall in the ditch his digging,let's turn Arizona BLUE
    Obama/Biden08

November 1, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. lisa tx

Where are palins medical records?the american people want to see her records.

November 1, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. GA Independent

Maybe after Tuesday, the MRM will stop giving a voice to McCain/Palin and we'll see the consumer confidence index skyrocket. Does anyone else think that the constant negativism of the Republican campaign has made all of us feel a little manic/depressive? So many of my clients appear to be in "wait and see" mode for the election... I think we all want SILENCE!

November 1, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. Taxpayers Against Paying For Illegal Immigrants

I never thought I would see A Presidential Candidate who has family in the united states who are illegal immigrants. Unreal.

Tax payers I hope you recognize that you have been paying for Obamas aunt to live in public housing even though she is an illegal immigrant.

Time to Wake up America
    Go McCain

November 1, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Cindy

Why hasn't Sarah Palin revealed her medical records??? You've got to be kidding? Obama hasn't showed his medical records, or a BIRTH CERTIFICATE, and he sure took his aunts $260 but didn't know she was illegal??? What planet does he think we live on. Obama sure doesn't take very good care of his family. He's throwing his aunt under the bus and his poor grandmother in HI??? Haven't heard him mention how she was doing since he arrived back from HI. Convenient that it was the same time his birth certificate was sealed...How about his records from Colombia University. Last I heard they were sealed...PLZZZZ spare me. McCain/Palin are coming back fast. Get Ready especially as the new video has hit the internet..... Will see if the moderator posts this pro McCain comment

November 1, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Brett in San Diego

I'M A CONSERVATIVE THAT WRITES IN ALL CAPITALS BECAUSE I THINK IT BETTER ILLUSTRATES MY POINT. IT EXPRESS MY ANGER AND DISDAIN BETTER. I'M A XENOPHOBIC, ANTI-EDUCATION, ANTI-GAY, ANTI-COMMUNIST, ANTI-MINORITY WHO IS AFRAID TO ACCEPT MORE THAN ONE IDEA OR SOMEONE THAT IS EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN ME. IT'S EASIER TO WRITE IN ALL CAPITALS AND HATE THAN TO GO OUT AND GET AN EDUCATION AND EMBRACE THE DIFFERENCES AS WELL AS SIMILARITIES THAT UNITE US AND FORMS A COMMON BOND BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND SHOULD RESPECT ONE AND OTHER.
    (Barack Obama and Joe Biden cannot get into office soon enough, let's finish this and steer our country in a new direction)

November 1, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. Phil in TX

Dear Gov. Palin,

I realize this is a little like 'casting pearls before swine [or some other lipsticked porcine creature]' but perhaps you can gain a little insight from this quote:

We do not see things as THEY are,
    We see things as WE are.

Hate, racism, fear...

What do you see now?

And just for your viewing pleasure, might I suggest you watch an old Andy Griffith movie [probably as unamerican as he is] called 'A Face In The Crowd'. Look familiar? Shall we refer to you as Sarah 'Lonesome Rhodes' Palin?

November 1, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. jon

I really used to like Joe Biden. I always thought he contributed to the debate in this country until a thug like Axelrod got a hold of him. It is really rich for Biden to be calling out McCain's tactics when his own ticket SCREAMS racism any time someone criticizes the chosen one...just ask Bill Clinton.

November 1, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. facts are facts

Sara Palin only has 4 children not 5 as she has claimed as her medical records would indicate. There isn't anyway she could cover this up as she would need a corrupt doctor, a hospital to change records and also a health care system to change their records.

CNN will not likely print this since they won't publish or talk about Sara Palin not producing her medical records as she had promised but I will copy and paste on the many other blogging sites.

November 1, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. LR Goldsworthy

Moderation of comments = Control of Free Speech

Brought to America by CNN

"CNN is a news corporation/organization only for Suckers"
    Founder Ted Turner

November 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Don

Why are these Rovian tactics so surprising? The American sheeple bought them, hook, line and sinker, in 1988, 2000 and 2004, and I won't be so sure until Wednesday morning that the same doesn't happen this time. And if it doesn't, God willing, what does that say about about our collective power of perception? Do we have to be in the middle of multiple crises before we can brush off the swift boating, and the like, and focus on what matters?

November 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Pat in NM

This isn't the John McCain I would have voted for in 2004. He has been possessed by the far right of Republican Party. It's time for an exorcism!

November 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Lena

This is what happens when you sell your soul to the deveil. McSane and ImPalin belong together. They will have plenty of time to cry together when they lose Tuesday. Palin will throw him under the bus. She is for herself.

Time for a change from the Republican party. What an image they have given of Americans. It is time for a change. Barack and company will do it. We need a President with the demeanor to be presidential not a post traumatic syndrome ex-veteran who feels he is owed the Presidency or Palin the exorcist.

November 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |