November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. jenny

John McCain is a sick ,old,disgusting dog that should be put to rest in his kennel. It's no surprise that Sarah Palin has thrown him under the bus Just like what he did to Bush. The world must be Changing when The republicans are Calling on their Big Guns -–Rudy the Goat and Dick the Cheney Better known as the OIL MONGER. These two idiots should cover their head like the TALIBAN because they are no good for Society. They are just like Child molesters and should wear a tag so people would keep clear. The other Crack was told that his services were not needed.That's george bush.

November 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  2. Ralph Peoria, Il

I'm 58 years old and have never seen a Presidential race like this one. McCain is calling Obama a communist, a terrorist and many other things to degrade him. This all stinks of McCarthyism and I think it's disgusting. I would guess he has used other language against Obama off camera.

He has no proof of any of this crap and just continues to lie with impunity.

McCain has shown that he has no integrity in this race and I really hope he loses and loses bigtime. I'm a Veteran too and he is embarrasing me.

November 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. Roy - Chicago

Looks like the 'maverick' is being controlled by the vicious Republican Party management who found they could win the last few elections with the villification of the other candidate over presenting any real plans for change. And the maverick's VP choice is so out of control, she doesn't even want McCain posters at HER rallies!! I don't think ANYONE including Joe Biden saw this level of trash politics coming. THANK YOU OBAMA for running a POSITIVE campaign!!!

November 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. GeorgeVT

Rove is right? Karl Rove may be right sometimes, but when he is, it's usually the same as a snake being right about where it's next meal is coming from. He sabotaged McCain in 2000 and now we're supposed to trust his opinion eight long years later. Get it together.

November 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Cathy, Peoria AZ

Gov Palin again, today in Florida, incited the kind of vile chants that are becoming commonplace at McCain/Palin rallys. They both continue to take the low road. After Senator McCain loses on 11/4, I hope he realizes his loss had just as much to do with his "gutter politics" as it was choosing Gov. Palin.
    DISGRACEFUL!

November 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Aaron from Ohio

Senator McCain has nothing else left in his playbook. He can't tout his economic plan, it's too close to Bush's. He can't tout his VP selection, a costly mistake. He can't tout Joe the Plumber, Joe has limited appeal. What does he have left? He can only keep making overtures to his evangelical base. They eat this stuff up. John was once a true maverick. He isn't anymore. He must be listening to Neil Young. It's better to burn out than to fade away.

November 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Freedom Loving Patriot (God fearing too!)

McCain

More Bushy than Bush.

November 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. Phil in TX

I just saw the following article about the lack of John McCain signs at your rally [the comments were closed so I thought I'd say it here]...
    Sounds like..."The McCain Mutiny'

November 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. annie - never again a dem.

Has obama kissed Mrs. Biden on lips again?

November 1, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

McCain just like Bush " doesn't understand the economy".

November 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Vote-in-TX

Joe get over it - John McCain and Sarah Palin will do/say anything to win. Keep the Focus on winning for America and Motivate the voters to get-out-to-vote on Nov 4th.

Obama/Biden Supporter

November 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. sick n tired

I WANT TO SEE TITO THE BUILDERS GREEN CARD!!!!!!

November 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. curtis

If McCain wins it will be just like Bush's regime. There will only be one Dick in the White House.

November 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. mike

Gary, get your facts straight. Go back and watch Obama and Joe the Unemployed Plumber video. It lasted several minutes. Obama was cordial, direct and honest with this man. He answerd the question man to man. It is a lie that Obama didn't like the question. This lie was advanced by Senator McCain. Just another gimmick from this pathetic man. He has lowered himself to depths no one expected. He constantly portrays himself as a man of honor. He stopped being a man of honor the day he "chose" Palin. From that day on, the tone of his campaign has been filthy dirty. McCain and Palin are hate and fear mongerers and a complete disgrace.

November 1, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Shirley-Ohio

MCCAIN CAMPAGIN IS TAKING THE LOW ROAD TO THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE WORLD AND IF THAT DON'T SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU, THEN IT SHOULD. SAY ANYTHING DO ANYTHING TACTICS JUST TO WIN. NO MORE BUSH, WE CANNOT AFFORD IT.

November 1, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. John McBush

You forgot:

Karl Rove = Joseph Goebbels
    Dick Cheney = Heinrick Himmler

"JOHN MCBUSH / BIBLE SPICE 2008"

Scariest ticket in US History following worst president in US History!

>Joe Green November 1st, 2008 3:24 pm ET
    >Palin = Ernst Rolm
    >McCain = Hitler
    >If McCain is smart, he'll have a "night of the long knives" and purge the >Republican part of the Palin influence.
    >The Palin rallies are looking more and more like skinhead fests.

November 1, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. NANCY FROM MONTANA

Arlene , you are so right, McCain's supporters on the far right, especially the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity, are hateful and nasty-

Obama on the other hand, has Colin Powell and other foremost Americans who are thoughtful, intelligent and ethical.

MONTANAN FOR OBAMA/BIDEN

BIG SKY COUNTRY TURNING BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

November 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  18. Janine Canadian

I quite agree with Senator Biden. This is lower than anyone would have thought any politican would go, leaking someone's immigration file to the public is not only an invasion of privacy but a breach of trust in a department such as Homeland security.

What has has America come too?Thank GOD I leave in a peaceful country like Canada where everyone no matter gender, race or ethnic background is questioned.

America wake up! hope you have the courage to vote for change and not this type of dirty politics. John McCain does not have you best interest at heart, if he did he would end this campaign on a more positive note.

November 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. chuck

I just heard that Dick Cheney has endorsed John McCain and is out Campaigning for McCain.I almost got a heart attack. Please put a Tag around his neck where ever he goes so people can keep clear .Cheney is just like a child Abuser and the other crack bush was told that his services were not needed. When McCain can call on Dick,George and Rudy for endorsements you know it's going to the DOGS.

November 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Rashid McKalidi

.. “And in the land shall rise the son of Cain” From the north The Deceiver a known Beast of false witness, will take the mark of Cain.
    Together they seek to spread fear and invoke hate among the refugees of sin.
    In their quest for power they will ignore the light of truth shining on the deeds and words they proclaim.
    But take heart, for throughout the land the seekers of light shall rise up and not be fooled. With their strength, the mark [Cain] will be cleansed from the earth and no longer hold power to sway the blind.

Can I get an amen...? :)

November 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. annie - never again a dem.

To Paul in Canada – First of all paul you are a canadian not American – so pretty much it is none of your business. Second of all that is nothing and I mean nothing to the filth and lies that obama's campaign have said, spread and promoted on Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin! Third, Gov. Schwar. is married to a Kennedy!! Oh and by the way bernardnet dohrn's book praised sirhan sirhan who murdered Bobby Kennedy. Since you are from Canada you may not know but dohrn is the wife of bill ayres who is the buddy of obama.

November 1, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  22. IF, Portugal

People say this is not the McCain they knew... could they have been wrong? What I've seen of him on this campaign has been far from honourable. Unless he's been brain-washed this is McCain being McCain under a crisis.

He keeps saying he's been tested... maybe, but if he refers to being a POW, then a lot of americans unfortunately share that past. What sets him apart from all the other POWs?

Maybe he's being tested right now... and, if so, he flunked on character.

November 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  23. democrats /PA

joe go home and cry to obama we dont need your lies here

November 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Wormy

Palin's rally's are not nothing but a punch of skin heads/rednecks together. They are all racists. I never see any black, hispansics, or any other race at them.
    But not surprising, due to I believe she only believes in "pure" white race; which there is NO pure race period. Everybody is mixed with something. I am scotch,irish,dutch,german,swedish,native american; we all are mixed with something.
    And we all need to GROW UP, and get ALONG with each other; OR THIS COUNTRY WILL NEVER GO NO WHERE BUT FURTHER DOWN THE DRAIN(with Joe the Plumber/Phoney)!

I AM WAITING ON THE FAT LADY TO SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Observer

I never thought I'd ever see this stuff coming from McCain, especially considering how he was treated in 2000. I used to have great respect for the man, but that respect has evaporated.
    He should have done the right thing about two months ago and fired his campaign managers, and declared, "I'm not going to go negative like many in my party think I should, I'm going to run a positive campaign on the issues." I think he'd be doing much better now because people would have respected him for going against the negative tone his party so often uses. That would be what a real maverick would have done.

November 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |