November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Tony the Tiger

republican campaign is sowing and DISTRIBUTING Hate in this country.

November 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. dont believe CNN

I agree with

Arlene, Illinois November 1st, 2008 3:30 pm ET

With supporters like this how can John McCain not win?

Sean Hannity
    Megyn Kelly
    Ann Coulter
    Michelle Malkin
    Russ Limbaugh
    George W. Bush
    Joe the Plumber
    Tito the Builder

also add the
    jane doe palin

these people are the worst our country has produced. Listen, the AMerica I know is a country made of hard working people, very decent, and for these clowns, morons and bigots to want to steal the election once more, and for them to take this great country back to the 20, IS UNACCEPTABLE
    I WISH MORE AMERICANS WOULD CHECK ON THE HUGE ACCOUNTS OF THE LIST ABOVE, THEY ARE ALL MILLIONARIES, AND THAT IS WHY THEY DO NOT WANT OBAMA BECAUSE HE WILL TAX THEM, NOT ME OR THE PEOPLE BARELY MAKING$60,000
    it is a shame if the mcgrumpy and brainless jane get elected,

i just hope we can see the revolution.. i will take onto the streets, this is my future and my daughter's..

November 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. janet, ohio

You bet I'm scared. The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave is about to become just another story for the history books. Barack Obama despises this country as do all of his long-time friends. He will change it all right, but few if any will like what it becomes. It was nice while it lasted.

November 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. Billy

Palin got prank phone called by The Masked Avengers from CKOI 96.9 FM.

It's a 6 min conversation, hilarious. They call heads of state by the wrong names and she doesn't notice. They talk about her movie, Nailin Palin by Larry Flint, and she just says, "thank you." She doesn't even understand that she got pranked when they TELL her.

She and the campaign are clueless.

November 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. Independent Ohio Female Voter

My father always told me "If you can't win by playing fair , it's not worth winning at all" That is why I am voting Obama/Biden. John McCains judgement on Palin and the running of his campaign have shown me he has NO LEADERSHIP QUALITIES and only wants to get elected . Even at the cost of his honor. How very sad.........this is not the kind of mentality I want in the Whitehouse. Thank God onlly a few more days!!!!!!!

November 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Ro Lauer

Scrawny body – BIG brain = Obama

Give me that any day over a big body and big mouth.

I had the privilege of seeing Barack Obama a few weeks ago in KC and I will tell you that this man is a man of honor. Watch the rallies!! At Obama rallies, negativity is stiffled. At McCain/Palin rallies it is encouraged.

What decent mother lets her 8-year old child (who by the way is bonded with that baby 100x more than his mother is) listen to people holler "Kill Him" "Terrorist", etc and does not shut them up. Let me tell you, if that were my young daughter, I would be making those evil Rednecks SHUT UP!!

November 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Senator Biden. You know, desperate people do hateful, nasty, rotton things and John McCain is desperate. He had also kept the bigottery he feels for people of other races hidden until he became the front runner in the Republican party. BUT it's all coming out now. He could hardly hide his contempt for Senator Obama during the debates and now says narry a word to sarah palin about letting the bigots shout out at her rallys... Sad to say Senator Biden, but you didn't know John McCain as well as you thought you did...

November 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Rave

Now, i start to wonder ... How much is True in McCain's cock and bull vietnam war stories?? He now has ZERO credibility.
    Palin will be the next President – Not for America, but Alaska Independence Party.
    They both are Flawed, Evil, Jealous, Fake, Corrupt, Un-ethical
    For me, Palin is no different than Anna Nicole Smith.

November 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. E. H. Woodard

Joe Green you are so right about the Palin rallys looking like skinhead-fests. I think the "plumber" as used in the context of "Joe the Plumber" is really code for "skinhead" or "neo-nazi"

November 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Amy

Joe,
    Of course you didn't think that you'd see this type of behavior from John McCain. You were his friend and thought that he'd run an honorable campaign, but power, or the thirst for it, has obviously changed him into a do anything, say anything to get elected politician!

Obama/Biden '08

November 1, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. Maddie, Hartford, Ct.

I agree with Joe Biden....I never would have expected John McCain to be involved in such a disgusting campaign! This low road approach is going to cost him the election.

November 1, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  12. m@earth

Painful to watch an American hero stoop so low as to have to question the very people he fought for and their patriotism. The ugly true character of people come in the hours that try them the most and compromise their integrity in ways they do not expect. McCain is really just a weak man and a poor pilot.

November 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. robin oregon

stick to the script joe

November 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Rave

Hi Paul,
    Don't take Arnold's comments to the heart. He is a Savage from the Savage Land. What more can we expect from Savages.
    He and John McCain need to be treated together for Mental Illness..after they lost this election miserably.
    Sarah Piglin will get back to her Alaska Independence Party campaign with her Puppet Husband of hers

November 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. Simmy

Sen Biden, he's never been your friend! He's always been a wolf in sheep's clothing. The mask just happened to fall off at this time! Move on!

November 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. Jim Rousch

Obama has always stated the same amount. Tell the truth, you racists.

November 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. todd

!!!!

November 1, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. STEPHAN

cnn i hope a new democratic administration make life hell for you . cnn are the weakest of the weak , their fear of anything republican knows no bounds cheifest of the weak is wolf blitzer king weakling him self . cnn are petrified of the republican party they have been for years , sometimes with blitzer it shows visibibly on his face .ive noticed any dirt on obama cnn is right there its front page headlines . i hope the democrats take their revenge on the likes of fux news and cnn . cnn the most pathetic minipulative and boring of all the news networks . you lost my respect long ago cnn . you bunch of sniveling wimps . NOT ONCE , NOT ONCE , NOT ONCE HAS CNN HELD MCAIN AND THE GOP ACCOUNTABLE NOT ONCE , HAVE YOU HELD MCAIN AND THE GOP TO ACCOUNT FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS . YOUR A JOKE CNN . LET ME REMIND THE PEOPLE CNN LIKE ALL MAINSTREAM MEDIA IS OWNED BYE THE RICH OR DARE WE SAY REPUBLICANS .

November 1, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. jonboy

Tom in delaware is gay

November 1, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Anonymous

McCain's new campaign strategy: Spread the Filth!

November 1, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. robin oregon

someone on this commentary is obviously working on the Obama campaign. Exactly who was talking about Obama's arms and legs? Republicans don't talk like that.

November 1, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. W O W WO W

AND,,,,,,,OBAMA'S,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SURROGATES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HAVE,,,,,,,,,,,BEEN,,,,,,,,,,

THE,,,,,,,,,,FILTHIEST,,,,,,,,,,,SOBS,,,,,,,,,,,IN,,,,,,,,,,,,,POLITICAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HISTORY,,,,,,,,,,,,WITH,,,,,,,,,,,,NO,,,,,,,,,,CLOSE,,,,,,,,,,,,SECOND

November 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. Old Man Yells At Cloud

I can't wait until McCain, Palin, and Sam the Liar disappear forever in 4 days.

November 1, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Bridg

Arlene, you forgot one crucial person: DICK CHENEY!

November 1, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Jim Rousch

IF the People are smart enough not to fall for this November surprise, I wonder how Mc Cain will be greeted when he returns to the Senate building.

My guess is that he won't, since his reputation for working with those across the aisle is forever ruined.

November 1, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |